1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biased commentary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Sep 5, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I’m tired of commentators showing their bias and allowing their fandom or favouratism to bleed over into their reactions. Usually it’s only colour commentators like Doris and Reggie, but now Mark Jones has joined the fray.

In Game 7 he was obviously annoyed when calls went against OKC and came when Dort scored. Then last night reacts to Lebron’s plays like he’s cumming yet cannot muster even the slightest excitement on a Harden dunk over Lebron.

There’s also the awful reaction to the Tucker 0.5 call where he according to Mark Jones held him and supposedly an obvious foul. Replay showed nothing of the sort and Mark Jackson said it was not a foul. Crickets..

I’m tired of this ****, so unprofessional and odd to not appreciate a play because you want a certain team to win or don’t like a player / team.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Doris Burke is atrocious...not only is she biased, but she’s boring AF...I hope she doesn’t call a single game this series

she puts me to sleep

all of them want a Lakers-Clippers WCF, and they want the Rockets to lose because if the Rockets have major success doing what they’re doing, it will accelerate the death of the traditional big man, and put even more emphasis on the 3 pointer

I get that the Lakers have Lebron and a huge fanbase, but if we are just strictly talking basketball, they are boring to watch...AD isn’t exciting, they can’t shoot, and most of their roster is very limited offensively...there’s the China blackout, but it’s still the Rockets who have had the highest rated games in these playoffs

the league really needs to stop pushing Lebron and the Lakers down our throat...they do a horrible job of promoting the league as a whole

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I can stand anyone but Boris Durke and Cheryl's twin sister, Reggi Miller.

They are simply atrocious to listen to.

Boris showed how unprofessional she is on her last outing. She simply could not hide it in the heat of the moment.

Any broadcasting team with an integrity would have quietly let her go after that outburst.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden crosses the sh*t out of Lebron and makes a floater over McGee

“Harden with the crossover and finish over McGee...”

Bron straight line drives to the rim for a left handed finish

“OMG, HE’S COOKING WITH FISH GREASE! DID U SEE THE WAY HE FINISHED WITH THE LEFT?!?”

*eyes roll to the back of head as orgasm commences*

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m on that mute life Bro. Not allowing myself to get triggered by these idiots that think FG% is a good judge of efficiency.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I thought mark jones was okay. He gave Austin some props “quicker than gossip”. They missed JVG tho, the commentary was a bit flat.

Rock Block and linvetb6 like this.
  7. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

I heard them say JVG will be on Sunday, I think. Man, do I love me some JVG calling Rockets games.. lets goooooo!

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Man I do too, and watch our broadcasts when I can. I hate being the guy that cries about what media says or always feel “attacked” but man, some of these supposedly unbiased types are really biased lol

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum

this is as shocking as going into McDonald's and noticing they sell hamburgers

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It must be frustrating to be unable to watch a national broadcast without thinking that the commentators have a bias against us. Especially without local broadcasts being available as we advance to later rounds. I sympathize.

I generally enjoy listening to “outsiders” call our games, with the exception of some unnecessarily negative local crews that call games for opposing teams. Mark Jones is one of the more entertaining listens, for me.

HP3 and T for 3 like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

I don't listen to their "insight" or random chit chat that much, it's boring 90% of the time unless JVG is talking, but to actually pick sides on a foul call when it's clearly not obvious or the wrong call as well as showing clear more enthusiasm for plays made by one side then yes it's a bit frustrating. That dunk didn't even excite me that much due to the cry ass commentary. Whereas Lebron block and AND1 will probably gets you just because of how excited Mark Jones was. That's the difference.

diehardrockets likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

As a Rockets fan you should be use to this. It’s only gonna be worse with the beloved Lakers.

D-rock, topfive and Sajan like this.
  15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

For me the best one were. Anthony Davis is getting whatever he wants inside and he had 12 points. 6 of which were on fadeaways...

Or how they were soo excited about Lebron playing well in the first quarter when he had like 7 points. Harden over there dropping 17 in first and crickets.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I've never liked Mark Jones. He has been like this for YEARS.

Sajan likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe my focus is just elsewhere, but during the games I’m not all that aware of which team is getting more enthusiastic exclamations from the play by play.

And what qualifies for an exclamation is pretty subjective. It’s understandable that a fan might see it one way, and someone who is more neutral would see it a different way. Austin Rivers’s blow by drive was a nice play, and Jones was particularly excited about it. Was all that excitement warranted? I don’t know, but I’ll take it.

If there is a bias when it comes to national commentators, I would say it is a bias towards amplifying certain narratives. Sometimes they can be favorable and sometimes not. Among the favorable narratives entering this game were: Harden’s underrated D, Westbrook’s energy and competitiveness, D’Antoni being an offensive mastermind innovator, the Rockets team D being surprisingly top notch, the physical strength of the Rockets guards, the grit and toughness of PJ Tucker.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

For some reason I don’t take note of what the announcer is saying. I just watch the games.

I’m usually multitasking during games so I guess I just tune out the announcers.

Sanctity and durvasa like this.
  19. macan

macan Member

i just hope we don't get Doris this round and beyond...

diehardrockets and bro2044 like this.
  20. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I agree he was biased but that quicker than gossip was a sweet one liner. I enjoyed trolling my family members last night with that reference

D-rock likes this.