1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 9/2/2020 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 7)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 1, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The fact that we are in a game 7 in the first round to begin with is a glaring sign that the team already failed in its experiment. Yes its a bubble shortened season. Yes, Russ was hurt. Yes... everything else.

But the fact is, this is the team the front office put together anyways, and the style of play they were going for. Sometimes it looks unstoppable, but if you cannot win out in 5 or 6 games in the first round, you just aren't a serious contender. You have too many glaring weaknesses that will just be exploited more and more going deeper into the playoffs.

Win or lose tonight, this team has issues, and I think it starts with Harden. What the hell does this guy need around him to win a championship? I have no idea at this point.

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

If Dan Tony rests Westbrook and EGo most of the game, we should win. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see all new faces next year, from ownership down.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. darin1998

darin1998 Member

Put up, or shut up day! Go Rockets!

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

At least Tmac tried his best... Come on HARDEN!

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tilman would be so pissed that he'd fire himself??

YaoMingsSoulja likes this.
  6. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

Please start HOUSE.

Gordon off the bench please.

7. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Why do we need a hero to win our games? We need our players to do their part, they are missing shots, fumbling on drives, poor passing, and turning the ball over at an alarming rate when it counts. It takes a team effort to win, but we keep wanting to see a hero take that last shot and win the game for us and then blame him for not coming through. Dantoni is more to blame than Harden, it's not like he didn't put the ball in Westbrooks hands at the end of last game, that was planned. Here is what Harden is working with.

HP3 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. dobro1229

Not disagreeing with that notion. Whatever the plan was to put a better team around Harden obviously is a failure. I don't think it's necessarily Harden's fault too as you said.

Looking back at it, the best team might have been the year that Lillard drilled the 3 to knock the Rockets out of the playoffs. Maybe we should have just continued to let Harden grow into that type of team and not just keep re-arranging the deck chairs other than McHale who was a nightmare.

My only real point is that being taken to a game 7 in the first round with this team regardless is a sign that something is fundamentally wrong with the makeup of this team.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I bet Harden wins a ship as the second banana the 2nd or 3rd year he goes ring chasing.

You can't force those things, it's no shame, WBrook also took the backseat this year.

His diehard fans would have a dilemma arguing he is the best player.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What has he really had around him to begin with?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s why I’ve said before and it’s sad to say but it might be time to part with Morey.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If we lose we might have to part with Morey unfortunately.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not know if it would have helped but the FO should have negotiated with Harden to take a smaller contract for a few years to build a stronger team.

At least attempt to talk to him.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. dobro1229

The issue will be his salary. If he wants out after this year or next, no team will be able to fit him in if he's assumed to be in a Ginobili type of role. The one exception being the Warriors who might be able to use the Wiggins contract for some type of hodge podge trade.

Kind of depressing to even think about but I honestly wont be shocked if Harden demands a trade this Summer or next.

daywalker02 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If and or when we lose it might be time to part with Morey sad to say.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If I was coaching Eric Gordon would be the scorer for the 2nd unit. Adding him into a lineup with Harden and Russ makes him redundant and when he does touch the ball he is forcing everything hecause of just trying to "fit in" ... let him go guns blazing with the subs - at least he would have a clear identity. 1st team needs some knock down shooters around Russ and Harden - start House or McLemore.

joshuaao and bro2044 like this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

This is the least nervous potentially go home game I’ve had as a rocket. I want a championship but. With the big change In identity mid season I kind of took this season as an experimental all or nothin for D’Antoni. If we go home tonight I can’t imagine the rockets. Will continue to be this drastically small. It’s been almost half a decade since we had to finger this hard i a first round so that should probably rub The front office and fans seem the wrong way.

ashleyem likes this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I feel like Eric Gordon goin go off tonight and I’m talking about from the perimeter

bro2044 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, Harden has to accept a smaller role and contract.

He was pretty good as 6th man with Oklahoma.

20. dobro1229

Ummm... Jeremy Lin!!

Kidding, but yeah he's pretty consistently had a pretty solid #2. Dwight was good 2 of the 3 years. CP3 was great when healthy. And now he's got Westbrook. That's better than some star players ever get.