1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

ranger fans are not happy with them keeping lynn

Joe Joe likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Oddly, the Astros didn't trade soon-to-be free agents to kick start the rebuild.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Miguel Castro, Todd Frazier to Mets

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am very happy with the Rangers keeping Lynn and Gallo! Sorry if that isn't comforting to Ranger fans.

htwnbandit and RayRay10 like this.
  5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Click must feel confident that Verlander and other bullpen pieces will be ready come October. I think the Padres set the bar so high on what they gave up and i think it had an impact.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

They were smart keeping him.

The Rangers were open to moving a number of players but it was a buyers market.

The Rangers likely will get more this off season trying to move him.

The same is true for Gallo.

The Rangers got two lottery tickets for a guy (Minor) that was an 8 WAR pitcher last year and had 6.5 WAR the two prior seasons before last. Granted Minor is a free agent and has struggled, but he was arguably an ace last season.

Perhaps the Astros could have gone after someone like Minor, but the Rangers in the past have wanted more to trade with the Astros.

Snake Diggit and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I love a well told story with a happy ending

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/as-add-to-rotation-while-rangers-get-comparatively-minor-return/

Minor was considered a top trade target last year even as the Rangers reached their high-water mark of 10 games above .500 as of June 28. At that point, they were 46-36, albeit with Playoff Odds of just 7.5%. They proceeded to lose 18 of their next 26 games to fall to 54-54 and 0.0% by July 31; about two weeks before that, Dan Szymborski checked in on the pitcher and the team and estimated their chances at 1.5%, concluding that Minor, who was forecast to finish the season with 3.0 WAR and due for considerable regression given his ZiPS zHR rate (“Minor has allowed eight fewer homers than you would expect, the sixth-largest over-performance in baseball in 2019”), would never be more valuable as a trade chip. Nonetheless, the Rangers held onto both Minor and righty Lance Lynn, but they finished just 78-84.

Kim, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rangers always seem to be open to moving players, but always seem to never get good offers. I suspect the Rangers ask for too much and other teams just move on before making serious offers.

Whether the Rangers got good offers or not, the Ranger fans, if they still exist, should be upset with their team for not getting something good in the past two trade deadlines and last offseason when they had not one, but two highly valued pitchers.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think the Mariners got sneaky good long term

10. Buck Turgidson

Because sportsfans on the internet?

CheezeyBoy22 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Archie Bradley return was roughly equivalent to Abraham Toro and Jeremy Pena. I probably would not have done that.

13. Buck Turgidson

I think you're batsh!t ****ing crazy, with nothing to do regarding baseball. So, there's that.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What did the Jays give up for Stripling, another PTBNL? They got a lot better for super cheap.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I can tell you that the Rangers in the past have requested a tremendous amount in attempted dealings with the Astros. So excessive that the Astros have backed off negotiations in the past.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

2 PTBNL

CheezeyBoy22 and raining threes like this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Why would they? They can still win it all this year with expanded playoffs...

CheezeyBoy22 and RayRay10 like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You may need to get your sarcasm meter checked.

CheezeyBoy22, RayRay10 and bobrek like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So far the one trade I wish Houston would have made is for Brian Goodwin. Reds got him cheap and Houston could have used him next season.

Depending on who the PTBNL are, getting Chirinos and Frazier from the Rangers would have helped Houston next season as well.

RayRay10 likes this.