1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Padres are hunting a bigger fish.
    Enter Joey Gallo.
    Apparently they are trying ro make a move to aquire both him and Lynn in on package

HTown2017Champs and jim1961 like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not opposed to trading less years for more years as a general concept. However Astros are not going to trade an integral MLB player without a replacement during a playoff year.

I think any Astros move will likely be trading fringe 40-man guys, prospects that will need to be added to 40-mam at end of the year, with maybe PTBNL to help put some value into a trade.

3. HTown2017Champs

Had the Cards idea before their losing streak, when they were hot. OF did look like an area of need at that time, but looks like Edman will play there with DeJong back from COVID.
    This idea is the Jays extend Yuli to keep him with his brother. But they could wait until he hits FA if that's what they want.
    Apples and oranges but IIRC when Nori Aoki (at one point our regular LF) was traded in 2017 it was a shock to nearly everyone, and he was seen as a good teammate like Yuli and Josh are.
    We can agree to disagree, but you seem to think this year is just like any other, when in fact, it's not and that's the truth. I watch because I love baseball, but ultimately the games have more of a Spring Training feel to them. And with no fans at the playoff games (and not hosted at the home stadiums), I'm sure at least some owners will feel this season doesn't mean the same since there's less $$$ to be made. Sorry, it is what it is. IMO, extending the window at the expense of this year (especially w all the injuries) is the better financial move. What Crane thinks, I don't know, but I'll be happy with whatever and hope for the best.

4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Ok so this would be what I would do. Since tommorrow is the big day.

Josh Bell to Houston for Chas McCormick and Taylor Jones.

Josh Reddick and PTBNL
    To the Cards for Justin Williams and Kodi Whitley
    Then the big one.

Lance McCullers and Yuli Gurriel to the Braves for Drew Waters and Tucker Davidson.

Then check in on Archie Bradley and Robbie Ray. Heard Ray is a very very good friend to Grienke.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For the Astros. They have a great team, and aren't going to waste a chance at a World Series just because this isn't an ordinary year. Winning is still the goal.

6. HTown2017Champs

I’m not even confident in the team as is. Injuries, young inexperienced arms, including starters who could be on short leashes. And did I mention injuries? I feel like we’d be a ticking time bomb in the playoffs. And as an owner, winning this year isn’t the same. No tickets to sell. That’s a fact.
    I’m not a homer, I’m realistic.

7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yuli is actually good at baseball tho and a key part of the lineup so the situations are not close at all. Aoki was easily replaceable. Also was anyone really shocked he was traded?

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Four players going to Mariners, three to Padres in Austin Nola trade, per source.

Padres:
    Austin Nola
    Austin Adams
    Dan Altavilla

Mariners:
    Taylor Trammell
    Luis Torrens
    Ty France
    Andres Muñoz

#488 J.R., Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  9. raining threes

Wonder what it would take to get Bradley, Ray from the D-Backs.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A realistic person would understand that this team will likely be better than teams in the future with possible exception of 2021. A realist would know no team is ever a favorite to win World Series over the field, and that even though World Series odds aren't great this year..they are likely better than they will be in 2022.

On winning this year...there are plenty of tickets to sell in future years. There is plenty of merchandise to sell. There is likely going to be a Black Swan event this offseason that having extra revenue, even though less than normal, would help the Astros more in the future than picking up scraps in trades for good players.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There is no skill comparison between Aoki and Gurriel. Regardless of our feelings about the meaningfulness of this season, I am fairly confident the Astros and any team would want to win. The Astros especially would want to start to erase the stigma of 2017/2018.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. bobrek

Why do the sub .500 Cards want to acquire one month of Reddick?

jim1961 likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Somebody has to come 2nd in the abysmal NL Central, and why not STL? Cubs are running away with first place but the Cards, Brewers, and Reds are all within striking distance of each other. OF is the weakest part of the Cardinals lineup. Not expecting it to happen but there is a fit there, and despite being below 500 the Cards are still alive for a playoff spot.

14. bobrek

So...in your opinion, winning this season is meaningless, yet you think the sub .500 Cards should trade a couple of their prospects for a one month rental of an average ML outfielder?

15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Well they have to make up 8 games due to there Covid 19 crap. They are in 2nd place behind a very catchable Cubs team. And he would fit in alot better then Carlson or O'Neil in Busch Stadium where a player like Reddick could be very Useful in the OF.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OK. Are we back to Tony Kemp for Mike Trout if the Angels pickup some of that salary?

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Agreed.

But ... what will that get you? A month rental of a middling bullpen arm? An aging, expensive, under performing pitcher that Strom can fix by playoffs?

#497 No Worries, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  18. bobrek

I'm just trying to figure out why a few of the posters think the Astros would be sellers.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That baffles me as well.

There’s not a single AL playoff team that can definitively say they’d be “overwhelming favorites” in a 3, 5 or 7 game series. The Astros have more players with big game experience, they have more talent in their everyday lineup, and now they have a starting pitching staff that is right up there with anybody’s (thanks to Framber/Javier looking legit). If they get ANYTHING going forward from Verlander, Osuna, or even Bregman... it will be a bonus.

Most are worried about this off-season, but like I said earlier... its not like Crane has zero payroll flexibility. He’s shown the ability to retain players who want to stay here. There’s also very little known about which teams will be looking to raise payroll this off season, given all the other variables, and current projections are there will not be major bidding wars for free agents.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros have been an incredible team over the last 3 years. This team isn't as good as those teams giving the impression to some that it will be easy to rebuild and get a team better than this season. This team will likely be better in winning percentage than every Astros team, even though riddled with injuries, with the possible exceptions of those last three teams, 1998, 1999, and 1986.

It is odd...I was completely for trying to win for the future when the odds of winning in a current season were near zero. It seemed like there were a lot fans that didn't want trades to build the future when the Astros were bad/rebuilding.

Now that Astros have a great team..."let's rebuild" is heard more than I expected while I was expecting more "all-in", "Give it your best shot" type of posts.

#500 Joe Joe, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.