1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. HTown2017Champs

We’d still have rotation options without Lance.

Greinke (lock)
    Valdez (lock)
    Javier
    Sneed
    Bielak
    Sneed
    Verlander (assuming healthy)
    Urquidy (it stretched out)
    Even another acquisition

Not opposed, McCullers has been back and forth, ultimately better suited for the pen despite his objection. Would love Waters, perfect CF, but I can’t see the Braves moving him. Their #2 prospect . Braden Shewmake and Tucker Davidson are other guys from the Braves I’d be happy with. Regardless, CF is a question going forward. Can Tucker play there? Even if Springer stays I don’t want him there anymore, he’s climbing in age and that’s a young man’s position.

2. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

Not sure the plausibility of the deal because 1) it’d be unclear what the Astros would package and 2) who knows if Miami would even listen....but I’d love to have Sixto Sanchez. He’s a future CY Young

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Tommy Malone to the Braves for two prospects.
    Bravs still looking for a 3B, SP and Reliever

4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I w as reading on some of there Boards they believe Waters should be much lower then he is and are more willing to.move him since they are way crowded at the CF spot. Pache is what is wrong with Waters. This is why alot of there fans are like ok he is our number one trade guy.
    I understand its not up to the fans either. But it kinda makes since once u look at there rosters.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why exactly would the Marlins (a rebuilding team) trade a future Cy Young candidate when they have years of control? Why would this even be a consideration?

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Yea marlins are selling vets only. If they sell at all.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

#427 awc713, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

It seems like Springer will be playing elsewhere next season due to a handful of reasons, so that likely means an extension for Correa. What do you all think is a reasonable contract for CC? With injury concerns, I think a 7 yr/210 could work. I’d like to lock him up sooner rather than later

#428 Dalton Pence, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Correa is going to be looking for one of those 10+ year 300+ million dollar contracts. If he stays healthy next year and plays the way he's capable of when fully healthy, then he'll likely get something in that ballpark.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do not think losing Springer means an extension for Correa. It makes it more possible but still not at all likely. Correa is having a decent season and with a full healthy season next year (assuming everything returns to normal) he will be a potential $300M player. $140M is about half his worth. Assuming the market is unhealthy, and Correa doesn’t look great the rest of this season, and Correa get spooked, then I could see him going for a deal <$200M as long as it had an opt out. So something like a very front-loaded $150M/6yr with an opt out after the 3rd year:
    2022-2024: $30M/yr (opt out after 2024)
    2025-2027: $20M/yr

But more likely he will be looking at $250M-350M.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros are more likely to commit long-term money to 'somebody' vs. nobody from the remaining core still in-line for extensions.

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

And I can't imagine the franchise would like losing Keuchel, Cole, Springer, and Correa all in back-to-back-to-back-to-back seasons. Of course, money is an issue, and we already have money tied to Altuve and Bregman, and may make another big signing.

King1 and RayRay10 like this.
  13. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

What would y’all give for Josh Hader, and do we even have enough Farm Capital to get a deal for Hader done?

If what I saw is correct, Hader still has 4 years of control (probably including this year).

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Has Springer said he no longer wants to be here or is that speculation?

15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Speculation. But several GMs believe he will wanna leave the cheaying scandal and show he has it elese where.

arkoe likes this.
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

M. GIVENS Orioles RP headed to the Rockies

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Cubs get Jose Martinez from the Rays

18. HTown2017Champs

Per Rosenthal, the Indians are talking to the White Sox about Clevinger. Even though it's intra-division, this is showing it matters less than ever before with this new format.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Speculation. He’s from the northeast and may want to move on from his association with the cheating scandal. Bottom line is that if wanted to stay in Houston he very likely would have already signed an extension. It’s not impossible that he will resign with the Astros, it’s just really unlikely.

arkoe and HTown2017Champs like this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

I'd imagine we tried to negotiate an extension with him when we extended Bregman, Verlander, and Pressly. I know we tried to extend Cole at that time, but he was not interested. We gave Springer a contract (around the time we extended Altuve I think?) that bought out two years of his arbitration. I'd imagine we attempted to extend him long-term at that time. We'll see what happens, but I agree with the notion that if he wanted to stay we'd have extended him already.

arkoe likes this.