1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dennis Schroder Nut Punches PJ Tucker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Aug 29, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

amaru likes this.
  3. Mr. Space City

And if PJ never got angry and “head butted” Schroder, nobody would have looked at the replay, and known what he did. It would have just been an illegal screen, and a play on.

The refs need to apologize to PJ for not protecting him.

Batman Jones, Reeko and D-rock like this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I had a dream Reggie Evans made a cameo on the situation and says "You gotta grab it not hit it!"

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"...there could be further discipline coming Tucker’s way."

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Another year of NBA playoff basketball means another Houston Rockets officiating controversy.

It doesn’t matter if you’re in the Walt Disney World bubble or Bangladesh, it’s becoming the kind of annual affair that is sure to light up the comments section below. As we learned in April 2019, when their rage against Golden State in the West semifinals opener was rooted in a detailed study of those Warriors-Rockets matchups, the leaders of this organization go to incredible depths to study every minute of every game and find trends they deem troubling.

The latest focus of their unofficial research after a Game 5 win over Oklahoma City, a game in which the third-quarter ejections of Dennis Schröder and P.J. Tucker sparked an officiating back and forth between both teams? Chris Paul, the former Rockets point guard who was traded to Oklahoma City last summer and who, of course, also serves as the president of the players union. That last part matters, of course, because there are some people in some circles who truly believe that the NBA legislates Paul differently because of the power he wields as the lead voice for the league’s 450 players. The shared history and hard feelings between the Rockets and Paul only makes it that much more interesting.

But it’s all a bit confusing, too, so here’s the sequence of events that come with one true through line: Crotch shots abound in this series. It’s really nuts.

• In Game 1, James Harden raises his right knee while jump-passing and nails Schröder in the family jewels. Much to the chagrin of the Thunder, this play doesn’t draw the attention of the league office either.

• In Game 3, Paul nails Ben McLemore below the belt and sources say the Rockets were incensed that the league wouldn’t take a closer look at the play seen below. Everyone is aggrieved at this point.

What’s more, there’s a strong sense that Paul’s stature within the league — a position that was on full display this week as he led the way in the players’ return to work after the Wednesday walkout — plays a part here.

Make up your own mind, but that’s definitely a point of concern in Rockets circles. Especially considering the reality that the NBA is likely on the cusp of some difficult negotiations with the Paul-led National Basketball Players Association this offseason because of these unprecedented circumstances. And yes, if you somehow haven’t heard, Paul has a bit of a history with these sorts of plays.

• Game 5 comes, and the Schröder ruling after his nut-shot of Tucker leads some to believe that it’s a make-up call of sorts for the perceived pass that Paul received from the officials previously. Again, I’m not taking sides here. And truth be told, the objective experts with whom I spoke thought the Schröder decision was the right call all on its own. But the Paul tie-in is definitely a thing for some.

As for Tucker’s headbutt and the ensuing decision, that was an obvious and necessary call. Sources say the league is investigating that situation, and there could be further discipline coming Tucker’s way. The NBA’s longtime disciplinarian, executive vice president of basketball operations Kiki VanDeWeghe, was sitting front row when this all happened and was glued to his phone after the game was over (Byron Spruell, the president of league operations who oversees this department, is also here).

Now, more importantly, let’s discuss how this Schröder-Tucker situation unfolded in real time from inside the NBA bubble.

As the referees reviewed the play, Paul stood midcourt and turned toward the part of the arena where all the front office executives sit — Thunder general manager Sam Presti and the Rockets’ Daryl Morey among them.

“It’s a headbutt!” he yelled in their direction, as if the review should have taken no longer than the headbutt itself.

But no one realized just yet that Schröder was being investigated too. So when the ruling that he was getting the heave-ho was announced, Presti rose up out of his seat and hollered incredulously, “They ejected Schröder?!”

He was looking right at Monty McCutchen, the vice president of referee development and training who was sitting directly in front of yours truly. This was very funny for a very specific reason.

Long before tipoff, McCutchen and I shared a shuttle bus to the game in which I remarked about his choice to rival the Rockets’ Russell Westbrook as the league’s most fearless fashion model. He wore a blue and green plaid suit along with an orange and yellow bow tie in the Florida heat and humidity, and this deserved serious attention.

“If I’m gonna get yelled at, I’ve still gotta look the part,” he had said when asked about this insane decision.

Sure enough, he was getting yelled at a few hours later. The man knows of what he speaks.

GradyMcTracy and D-rock like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was this supposed to be journalism?

Is there any evidence at all that the NBA handles Paul differently? Other than this speculative article that merely speculates that they handle Paul differently?

And why would Paul matter at all.... the severity of what Schroder did and an attempt to curtail that sort of future behavior should be the only thing that matters. If they suspend Schroder, you bet nobody will be thinking twice about attempting nut shots or low blows on screens without fear they'll be caught.

"head butting" is not the problem here... especially not when 3/4's of the article is concerned about nut shots.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

"not a hostile act"?

So if the Refs had a choice between receiving what Dennis did vs PJ's head tap, which do you think they'll pick.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

That wasn't a headbutt. If PJ intended to headbutt Dennis I assure you Dennis wouldn't just have casually turned around.

9. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

No way nba suspends PJ and not Dennis S.

if they both get suspended I think it hurts OKC wayyy more than us. So if someone gets suspended, it better be both or just Dennis. No way tuck should be suspended for hitting him with his nose

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

It was more of a chest to back bump with PJ grazing Schroder's head with his nose.

It was definitely an aggressive act, but not as aggressive as blasting another man's family jewels.

11. stilldr34amin'

Agreed. And I hate how svg was so quick to shout out and call it a headbutt when it was happening in real time.

Might as well call it a right hook when I pet my dog.

slothy420, Swapshop and D-rock like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was a little nudge out of love.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree as well. SVG needs to watch actual headbutts in sports.

[​IMG]

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Racist moron.

Hakeemtheking and Sajan like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m really getting tired of everything OKC...from the ridiculous levels of fear and severe overrating of them on CF every year, to the Dort dick riding, Dennis dick taps, Chris Paul crotch shots and takedowns of Harden, and their garbage fans spewing filth online after every loss

we need to beat their ass in game 6 and throw them out the bubble

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only reason OKC still in this series is the Ref and media bias.

rhee and Reeko like this.
  19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

What a loser...this is the definition of extreme, to track down a man's email and call him racial slurs....

I mean the act and the thought of going on this mission to call him the "n" word is unbelievable. I just don't get how people can get overly obsessed like this. Get some f@cking help!

20. D-rock

D-rock Member