1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Youngmisuk] PG13 is dealing with anxiety inside the bubble

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Aug 26, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...l-george-says-dealt-anxiety-depression-bubble

RayRay10 and TracywtFacy like this.
  2. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Judging from his last game, he seems to be OK now.

In all seriousness, I hope the league and everyone involved have adequate support for these mental / psychological issues for all players and staff, it's such a crazy and unprecedented situation right now.

s3ts, Lawlruschang, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

inb4"lolexcuses"

Sports fans gonna sports fan... But mental health issues are real, as is cabin fever, as many people who've been working from home for the last several months know. Not to imply that these guys don't still have it better than most people, but it's not hard to imagine this hitting some players pretty hard.

All that being said, lol playoff p.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I wonder if Harden would get any sympathy if he came out with this. Or would he just continue to get shitted on.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Harden shouldn't need any sympathy. He isn't even playing badly. Like, at all. In fact he's playing f*cking great, for the most part. People just amplify a couple of bad plays late in games, but we were in position to win (or won) these games largely because of Harden. The same cannot be said of PG... But I digress. To answer your question: it's James Harden, of course he would get shat all over. Would be nothing but ammunition for his ever growing army of haters.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

**** pg 13

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There was a time when he had real haters and real homers but now it's mainly media and some twitter clowns, and same homers.

Until he wins a ship everything is still stuck at the great regular season, playoff until the 4th quarter last 2 minutes narrative.... not gonna change that fast.

This is more about anxiety, most of us know that PG is a good second banana with flashes of MVP brilliance at his best, different league.

And now struggling.

SuperMarioBro likes this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Not sure I buy this as it conveniently comes after a few historically bad games.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I am sure pretty much all the humans are dealing with anxiety on a daily basis...particularly fans of pg, harden and other underperforming players

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Somebody write an article about Gordon.

donkeypunch likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

But how do you really feel...? :D

RasaqBoi and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I'm glad he brought light to his mental issues with the bubble environment, when COVID-19 first hit we were testing roughly 150+ daily, up from out normal 12-14 patients daily in the ER I work at.

With all of the media outlets giving out information as soon as they got it, it really created a mass frenzy that we as medical personnel had to help calm down.

I honestly thought (and still think it's possible) I would be the person that would become covid positive, infect my wife and in laws and have to live with some form of guilt because of it.

I often wish I had the resources to seek mental health or be compensated slightly more because of the job I do but then I realize that this is what I chose, for better or worse, to help people when they need it the most medically.

PG13 and the other basketball players fortunately have an extremely lucrative paying job that more than likely has resources (psychologists/psychiatrists) to help them through the confined environment they're in. I wish I could say they have it 1000000% better than us definitively but they struggle with their lack of personal freedoms too. I would love to trade jobs though, because perspective can be a powerful thing but too bad. Not many people would choose to work in an ER over being a high paying basketball player.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Soft.

A mother who has to work 2 jobs to put food on the table has the right to be anxious if the bus that takes her to one of the jobs is running late.

Multimillionaire athlete who has literally everything catering to him has no legitimate grounds to claim anxiety.

Please....

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

For the playoffs, Harden is averaging 32 ppg, 9 apg, 8 rpg, 2 spg, and only 2.5 topg. He's doing it on 60% TS% with a 29.0 PER, and also leading the NBA playoffs in assist percentage, win shares/48, box plus-minus, and defensive box plus-minus. His team was a 54-second-Danuel-House-collapse away from sweeping a series against a very good team, despite a shorthanded roster that many people thought had no chance of winning.

TIL that is called "underperforming". I guess all because of a couple of late turnovers?

I expect this from the myriad media haters and twitter trolls. But I don't expect the rampant, nonsensical Harden hate I see on a friggin Rockets forum.

#14 SuperMarioBro, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    King1 likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

******* this is a bad take. Dismissing someone's mental health because of their financial and socioeconomic status accomplishes nothing, and only shows that you're incapable of empathy or understanding of nuance. PG13's bank account can't make up for the fact that he's away from his friends, family, and everyday life for a long period of time. Sure, he's living a cushy lifestyle in the bubble probably....but I guarantee you he'd give it up if it meant getting to see his loved ones.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We gotta stop comparing and give people some empathy. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but it is to PG right now.

He could play 2 mins and still earn his paycheck, but the dude clearly wants to do more.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Guess what, everyone in this whole wide world has been in some sort of social isolation or another. Yet, we truck along as best as we can.

You are getting fooled by PG. Dude always comes up with some lame excuses after a shitty performance, or have you forgotten the 5lb bag of ice on one of his shoulder in a post-game conference?

If you haven't seen a pattern yet with PG, here is the show -- always blame it on something else if something goes wrong because you're Playoff P!

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think his deflecting of blame is separate from his anxiety. Obviously I think he's a complete douche for randomly taking a jab at James Harden when asked about his shitty performance, but that doesn't mean his mental health should be taken lightly. Yes, everyone has dealt with things in their lives, but it's important that we all listen to each other. One man's plight can lead to another man's strength if we keep the conversation going. Gatekeeping is what holds progress back.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Nicely written, my man. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Mental health is important, respect to PG. Still gonna make this joke though.

The absence of Porzingis has cured a LOT of ills for the Clippers.

hakeem94 likes this.