1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What's wrong with people that have the ability to use their position to try and enact change to try and enact change? Why does it offend you? How did it hurt you?

RayRay10 and awc713 like this.
  2. raining threes

Tell me again how the protests are related to opening up a voting booth in the Toyota Center?

3. raining threes

It doesn't offend me.

It will offend me when they start crying about losing money.

4. Buck Turgidson

No, but they can do it at theirs.

RayRay10, jiggyfly, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Um its a big problem.
    You are paid to preform. Not use there statis to convince others and use there platform for politics. And that's what the NBA is doing.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeah, I think HOU has to QO both. It’s a risk we need to take given our lack of top draft picks. Especially post COVID...who knows how the next draft will shake out. Players aren’t playing so maybe we can nab some hidden gems.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

"While the players were meeting in person Thursday morning the NBA conducted a virtual meeting with the Board of Governors at the same time. NBA referees conducted a march in support of the players around the grounds of the Disney complex where they are housed. One immediate change came Thursday morning when Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta announced that the team’s arena, Toyota Center, would be used as a voting site, open from October 13 to 30 and then on November 3."

RayRay10 and raining threes like this.
  8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

They can use it for whatever they like.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. raining threes

Yes they can

I cant wait to see what they have to say when the cap falls about 20%. That should be great entertainment,

10. Nook

Nook Member

I cannot see the Astros offering Brantley a QO because he will jump at $19,000,000. While he is a very good hitter, he has injury issues, can only play a corner outfield spot and has limitations out there. I cannot see him getting a better offer.

Further I don’t see it being a great off season for free agents. For $19,000,000 the Astros can likely get more bang for their buck than Brantley.

11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Pretty big series coming up against the A’s. Wouldn’t be surprised if today’s game got postponed and either tomorrow or Sunday is a double header. Leading up to the Monday trade deadline, this weekends slate accross the league will have GMs examining if they truly want to buy or sell. A lot of discussion going on.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If the Astros slap a qualifying offer on Brantley it would tell me they don't feel confident about bringing Springer back. Brantley had 2 seasons in 16 and 17 where he combined to play for only 101 games. It's why he couldn't get more than a 2 year deal for 32 million in the free agent market even after being a now 4 time all-star and having a top 3 MVP finish in 2014. It's part of why I suggested possibly trading him in the offseason thread. I felt we were lucky to get 148 games out of him last year. It was clear to me the Astros weren't going to spend money last offseason and we would have to give up something to make any moves. I was hoping they could sign Wheeler and trade for Mancini if they moved Brantley, Reddick, Marisnick, and Peacock. Luckily the Mancini thing didn't happen since he was diagnosed with cancer.

By the way, I think it is entirely possible Josh Reddick is still an Astro next season and Kyle Tucker is in CF.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You are probably right. There may be VERY few QO’s this offseason given the financial uncertainty generated by the pandemic. But judging strictly by his past performance, future projections, and free agent costs over recent years, Brantley projects to be worth more than $19M next season. He was paid $16M each of the last 2 seasons and the consensus is that he has been well worth it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What about Conine, Kloffenstien and Robberse from the Jays for Yuli and Cy Sneed?
    Jays are trying to go for it this year. Yuli gets to play with his brother. And this move would open the door to try for Josh Bell...

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't expect very many qualifying offers this year. Here are the guys I think have a shot.

Barring injuries these guys are locks to receive a qualifying offer in my opinion.

Realmuto
    Springer
    Bauer
    LeMahieu
    Semien (maybe a little iffy on this but only because he is on the Athletics)

Next tier down with a chance at a qualifying offer...
    Tanaka
    Brantley
    Gregorious
    Simmons
    Stroman? Not sure if the Mets will do it after he walked away once he was eligible for free agency

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Yea i I dont believe Springer will sign it. I believe he bolts.

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

If we could trade Yuli and Reddick before this Deadline. And secure Tucker in LF and some how secure Josh Bell at 1B. Then I would be happy. This would be my move in the wright Direction.
    Yuli and Sneed to the Blue jays for Connie, Kloffenstien and Robberse.

Then Reddick , T. Jones and a couple PTBNL for Ryan Mountcastle and Chris Davis.
    Waaaaaa Davis. Yes Davis and they eat 5 million per year the remainder of hia contract.
    That Leaves us with 18 million per for the next two years. Mountcastle can play LF once Brantley goes this would make Springer more likely to sign if your for him staying.

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Then you can push the Indians.
    Brantley, Bielak and Forrest Whitley for Mike Clevinger

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Diamondbacks and Angels should be pretty firm sellers. If I were Houston I would have interest in OF Brian Goodwin, OF Starling Marte, OF David Peralta, IF Eduardo Escobar, and RP Archie Bradley.

No Worries and Nook like this.