1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook strained right quadriceps

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 12, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We might be able to squeak out of this series, but we're not going past the next round without him that's for sure.

RayRay10, topfive, whiskeyred and 4 others like this.
  2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

So many people here already giving up on the team.

Tfor3, topfive, Patience and 2 others like this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'll just say that if the Rockets don't beat the Thunder, it's not because Westbrook wasn't able to play.

This team has to make shots. They can beat anyone if they make their wide open shots. Anyone.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is pretty much true for any team

Nook, Patience and rocketseagles07 like this.
  5. Mattician

Mattician Member

That is true. But the Rockets have built their offense around three pointers and layups. So it applies to the Rockets more so than any other team. This team shouldn't be going 0 for 10-20+ from 3 when that's what this offense is supposed to excel at.

Tfor3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets continue to lie about injuries lmao

Tfor3, Nook and apollo33 like this.
  7. gotsis

gotsis Member

At this point are we even certain he could play in round two?

If we get past OKC in the first place.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's gotten to the point where I'm fatigued of asking the question. I know we should, so we will, but it's pretty clear that we're not getting the real story. At this point, he plays when he plays.

slothy420 and Nook like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

they lost by three despite being outshot from the free throw line by 18 and despite having a 3-23 or whatever stretch from three.

they lost the prior game by blowing it. They couldn’t inbound the ball. They gave up a 3 wide open when it was the one shot they should t have given up. They went 1-2 from the free throw line. And their best player fouled out at the beginning of OT.

all that said... the above randomness is likely to continue cause they have these problems regularly. Dumb mistakes. Inability to protect leads. Lack of real inbound plays. And likely to continue to be outshot from FT line ... whether fair or not.

so that being the case... yeah they need to hit their threes lol.

If Russ comes back that changes. Also I think they have less of those dumb problems against the Lakers as the Lakers don’t have the same “Helter Skelter” esque style the Thunder have adopted. That “underdog” style that the Celtics seem to okay with as well. It’s part of the reason I’m not sold on the Lakers.

Nook, Rudyc281 and Baqui99 like this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I’ll repeat my mantra....until MDA and Morey are gone, we will never win a championship. Once gone, we can get Harden the coaching he needs and the players needed (w/out Morey). One of his greatest talents was the relentless alley-oops to Capela. We hopefully get to see more of that (with tall players again) and less passing up open layups for Tucker bricks at crucial moments of the game. What a poorly run team with such a rare talent in Harden.

JayZ750 likes this.
  11. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

If they play the same way without having the common sense to attempt easier shots then we will lose. Schroder out they looking like prime Sleepy Floyd.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

lol. This is so spot on.

does ANY Rocket fan at this point feel good or n any way when any of Tucker, Covington it EG launch a three?

bmelo and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It has to be serious because if we all know Brodie if he can play he would play there would be no keeping him out. Believe that.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

it's so frustrating. If it's that serious why is he running around shooting and doing 2 on 2 drills in the pre-game.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would figure it’s because he’s only going maybe 50% and his 50 % looks like other players 100%

topfive likes this.
  16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I agree about MDA. Not Morey. If you look at this team, there are a collection of players that no one (or few people) wanted playing key roles. PJ Tucker. Jeff Green. Danuel House. Ben McLemore. We are not the Clippers or Lakers where big name free agents want to come to play here and are willing to take pay cuts. And with our committed money to our top three (harden, russ, ego), that is all we will ever be able to surround them with: low cost players. I'm not sure many GMs in this league do as good a job at finding bona fide talent, especially with the financial constraints he's working under.

MDA on the other hand is fine in the regular season, but in the postseason is incapable of making adjustments. He sticks to lineups that are regular season and does not budge when people have a hot hand. He calls no plays when the ship is sinking and will sit idly by when the team misses 3 after 3. The only way he ever wins a championship will be if the players are so talented that they overcome his inability to make in-game adjustments or adjust his roster decisions.

Rudyc281, harold bingo and Baqui99 like this.
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Can you fix him?

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

This is how they have handled it for years. They are evasive, they often under play the severity of injuries or lie about whether a player is injured. James Harden played for a month injured this season and it wasn’t even discussed or acknowledged.

All I was told is the concern coming into the series was that his structural mobility was the big issue because it could cause a serious injury.

#358 Nook, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Get guys easy shots Harden has to work twice as hard and waste twice as much energy just to get a shot off smh.

20. Nook

Nook Member

That is the point. He shouldn’t have played the Spurs game. We sat him out back to backs this year but he AND Harden and Tucker are not young players anymore. If they are going to play 35-40 minutes, then they need rest games and don’t need to play in meaningless games.

This is something that should have been addressed years ago but wasn’t and hasn’t. I do not understand how the Rockets can have such an intelligent GM and front office and still not fix this. MDA is brighter than 80% of the coaches in the league, he needs to be told to sit them.

J Sizzle, RayRay10, Bo6 and 3 others like this.