1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Max Kellerman would choose Luka Doncic over James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 30, 2020.

1. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Luka is putting up numbers that have NEVER been done before. He is proving he is Clutch.

Harden meanwhile is throwing up brick after brick in crunch time and can't close out the Thunder.

You have no case brah

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. omgTHEpotential

I don't understand what you're arguing. Are you saying Harden isn't a superstar player? Because that's the only argument you can make to support the notion that it isn't even close between Harden and Doncic.

So please clarify, are you saying that a league MVP isn't a superstar player? Are you saying the a league MVP, who improved both offensively and defensively since he's become the MVP, is not a superstar player?

#422 omgTHEpotential, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden is a superstar that is like a rolling snowball down a hill when things don't go his way.

Luka doesn't seem to have that in him. He actually ups his intensity in close games in the 4th and doesn't give those lazy disinterested mannerisms when he's struggling.

4. omgTHEpotential

Luka has looked like a superstar in this league for 1 season. Harden has been doing it for years. There were plenty of times when Harden has played just as well or better than Doncic. Doncic has barely faced any adversity in the NBA so far compared to Harden (video in my signature).

Even suggesting that Doncic is so far ahead of Harden that it's not even close is ludicrous.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say Luka is ahead in terms of trajectory and from actually watching these two, Luka is far more aggressive and doesn't sulk as much in the 4th when he struggles in the 3rd quarter for example.

Harden has a history of just giving up and not trying to get different looks or being extra aggressive in late game situations when he has a bad quarter. He starts finding scapegoats like the refs, he refuses to run back on defense and often just hovers near the half court line while his team is trying to run an offensive set and all Harden is willing to do when the ball does get to him is chuck a 3 3ft behind the line.

Luka when he has a struggling quarter will still aggressively run the pnr and try a variety of different ways to score such as from the post or use the pnr. He's still very aggressive and moves his feet. You will never see him being denied the ball on inbound possessions because he'll actually run and try to get open.

SunsRocketsfan, tycoonchip and TMAC3 like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

There was a thread a while back on Ben Simmons and his big contract. The thing I mentioned was that he could be good, but who knows if he can play up to the contract because major injuries are common. Fast forward now; he missed playoffs; their team swept. Simmons, like Luka, is still young, we don't know the future.

Luka could easily be a DRose or Arenas where they burned bright first few years. The older stars now...most of them have had some major injuries.

PG shoulder
    Kawahii load managed.
    Porzingas coming back from injury.
    Steph,Klay and KD injured.
    John wall
    Cp3, AD... bugged by injuries.

There has been very few iron men superstars currently playing that have durability along with that high usage: Harden and maybe LeBron. After the Yao/ tmac we should be so lucky.

Not trying to be argumentive, and I mean this sincerely, if some of you love Luka so much, can go to the Mavs forums. I really think you'll be happier. This kind of hypothetical debate, is getting old. They're not our playoff opponent. But this thread is usually bumped when we lose.

As fans you don't have to love every player and incarnation of the Rockets. If this is MDA's last season, then you don't have to wait very long.

If current Rockets is not your cup of tea, sit this one out. Why watch or engage, it has to feel miserable talking about a team or players who you don't like.

7. dmoneybangbang

LOL. It's not about loving Luka, it's about giving props. Apparently some of you folks can't handle the fact that some of us think other teams' players are really good.

Maybe wait until Luka gets a season ending injury until you pull the injury argument.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

People gave props in the Mavs v Lakers thread in the dish. The garm thread here is if Luka had a good game then Harden must be terrible. I bring up injury, because Luka had that limp in game 3. Who knows how durable at age 30. Mathematically speaking for franchise stars, it's a crap shoot.

Luka, just came in to the league, we don't know where he would be at Harden's current age. Compare him to Tatum or some of the other budding stars.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Luka is 21 but already has higher BBIQ than Harden. He is Harden v2. Taking the best attributes from him but then improving on all his weaknesses. Harden is a robot, only knows how to jack threes, get fouled, or drive to the rim. Luka knows how to do all those things also, but has the BBIQ to make better decisions at the right times, electing for the mid-range game. Luka's feel for the game is already more advanced than Harden's.

SunsRocketsfan and Crashlanded19 like this.
  10. HardenVolumeOne

why just pick on harden, i would take luka over kawhi and steph curry too

bmelo likes this.
  11. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

I would trade Harden for Luka for just this postseason in a heartbeat. Everyone who watches lots of NBA would too. The Mavs are my least favorite team of all time but the truth is the truth.

bmelo likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Why is there an assumption that trajectory is always up. A player can plateau, or even go down (for things like injury or not evolving, or a myriad of other reasons). Linsanity fizzled after a string of good games. Luka had a good year. Can he do it (or maintain) for 3 years, 5 years, or 10 years.

Some players fizzle in the blink of an eye; Horford, Conley. At least with those guys, they've been in the league long enough where we have a good sample size.

13. omgTHEpotential

The Clippers have just demolished and HUMILIATED Luka and the Mavs by 40+ points. IN THE PLAYOFFS. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

burlesk likes this.
  14. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Luka has had 2 great games, 1 decent game and 2 awful games, yet he's getting praised. Harden has performed pretty great in the series, but people claim he's choking. I know he's shot a bit bad from the 3pt line at times and he had 1 or 2 bad turnovers in game 4.... but overall he's having a better series than Luka.

All Harden needs is another good ball handler to take the pressure off him..... and that someone is Westbrook. I guarantee you if Westbrook was playing in this series, we would have sweeped OKC. Let's be honest, we blew them out in the first 2 games, and those 2 last games were close.... we arguably could have sweeped them anyway.

burlesk and omgTHEpotential like this.
  15. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

LOL the Mavs are playing arguably the best team in the Clippers and Luka is being hounded by arguably the best defender of all-time in Kawhi.
    Without Kristaps that Mavs lineup is trash.

Meanwhile Harden can't beat Dort and the Thunder in crunch time...

I stand by all my previous comments.

SunsRocketsfan and bmelo like this.
  16. omgTHEpotential

Mavs have a great supporting cast around Doncic, even without Porzingis.

17. omgTHEpotential

This.

18. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

[​IMG]

bmelo likes this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah analytics have made Harden a Pu$$y!

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think this convo is a tad moot.

Revisit it in 2 years and we shall come back to it.

Give Harden and Morey a little time to get a grip.