1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team is tired

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Aug 24, 2020.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have 3-4 players on court that can’t dribble and make a layup .. Tucker - Covington - House marginal Green Marginal

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

well put. it has nothing to do the 4M layoff. It's short rotation and style of play. Coach for some odd reason is not trusting Bmac as much as Gerald Green. I thought Bmac played ok defense to keep his man in front of him.

Invisible Fan and Mr. Dominant like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

No: They just had 4 months off. Tired? Exhausted?
    Yes: **** the 6/7 man rotations. **** small ball.

The 6-foot-7 Marion had been an All-Star as a small forward. Now D'Antoni wanted him to match up with Duncan, with Nowitzki, with Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, with Sacramento's Chris Webber? It took "The Matrix" some time to come around.

"Finally, I was like, 'F--- it, I accept it as a challenge.' And it was a challenge," Marion said. "It wasn't easy, but what I was able to do and how I was able to do it, ain't too many guys in the league who could have done it. Not for no full year.

"Guys can easily switch off and guard for a few minutes here and there or a couple of possessions here and there. Not for a whole game or a whole season. ... They'd get burnt out."

Marion says he believes that toll was evident on Tucker, the league's shortest starting center by several inches, before the NBA season was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic on March 11.

In Tucker, Marion saw a player who was running on fumes, having been forced to bang with bigger bodies every night. The numbers support that theory, as Tucker had a team-worst net rating of minus-19.2 points per 100 possessions during the last five games before the shutdown, with the Rockets giving up 118.9 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.

"He's almost too tired physically to shoot the ball, because they're wearing him out," Marion said. (Tucker shot 25% from 3-point range the last five games before the season's suspension, as did Harden, who also guards primarily centers and power forwards.)

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

It had to do with our defensive intensity in closing down the paint. Tucker is dogged tired in that department. Covington is a space cadet at times not super focused. Hats off to PJ though. He is a one man wrecking crew on defense at all cost.

5. TheSource

TheSource Member

I’m all seriousness if we lose in the first round do we move on from Harden? I doubt we ever trade him but the sample size is large enough now to show he doesn’t perform his best under pressure

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If they're tired now, can you imagine playing against LeBron, Luka, or Kwahi?... And OKC don't even run that much to have them tired...

J.R. likes this.
  7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No. You bring a coach who is going to push him not coddle him. Stop the small ball ****. And change the offense. We are literally passing up layups for 3s. It’s comical now. We play hard for 2 games on defense and then go back to matador D. This small rotation with small ball is killing these guys.

Pleqse bring in Atkinson.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

As much as this makes sense, I don't think teams with talent to send back will gut their team for Harden... We're stuck with him and Westbrook unless a team like Washington sends a equally atrocious contract in John Wall

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey's logic: *Fully commits to small-ball because of Westbrook*

Playoffs without Westbrook: *Still committing to small-ball even knowing Harden could use a lob target*

Morey one of those dudes that just wants to prove everyone wrong with his radical playstyle but it always ends up hurting us.

When we went super cold in G3 from the 3, we could've taken a couple mid-range, especially from Harden but instead our players are so conditioned to shoot 3s or layups, they always pass up the open mid-range when we needed points. Happens every year in the playoffs and nothing changes.

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I'm okay with them starting over if they for whatever reason don't get past the Thunder. I will say that probably this series is basically over with in the Rox favor with Westbrook. Harden, however, should be good enough to take this team past the Thunder so if he's not able to do it if Westbrook can't come back, then again I wouldn't be sad to see the Rox start over.

11. JW86

JW86 Member

You need rest here and there, doesn’t matter how much time off you had. We take a lot of threes, that requires a lot more from your legs than a midrange 2, especially for some guys who take them well beyond the 3pt line.

Then again, I’m not hearing it either when you want to use it as an excuse. Refs were bad, but Dort had 5 fouls yet nobody attacked him to get him his 6th, not a single player. That’s bad coaching and Harden was scared AF!

Give me Maxwell back, I’ll take a fearless dude like him over Harden any day! I’m tired too, of being a fan of a team you know will let you down and has a star player who quits and a coach who doesn’t understand legs, minutes, trust nor giving instructions or let alone make adjustments.

YallMean likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Play more people in the rotation
    Balance the offense

When your shots go short that means you are taking too many 3s

YallMean likes this.
  13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Lots of short rim attempts, no legs. Then arm came in, long rimmed. The desperation 3p went in last second by Harden, because there were a lot of legs on that shot.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm just waiting for the desperation game where MDA brings in Luc and others out of the doghouse, they **** up in a four minute stretch only for Mike not to run a lineup with more than 8 people...until next year's playoffs.

dreamshakin and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This team as designed doesn't work without Westbrook -- we've been out of synch for 3 straight games. Great defense pulled out game 2 and we got hot at the end making the win look better than it really was. The past two games we're playing weak defense and bombing away -- Gordon's spaz drives are a poor imitation of RW. I assume Westbrook is back next game, but who knows how that quad will hold up. I don't know what can be done about the bonehead mental lapses -- it's embarrassing really.

16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

LOL. Would probably have a price tag equivalent to Harden or Westcrook at the very least.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this team has been missing wide open 3's all season long, especially in the bubble. tired legs are part of it right now, but they've also just flat out sucked at their jobs

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I heard Dantoni seldom arrange practice. Players get much rest I think.

19. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Tired to defence?
    Can we use Carroll and prince? but we still have 2 matches left. I think westbrooks will come out. I just remember we still lose to okc with westbrooks last time. I just hope he is 100 percent healthy for next game

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not if they are on a cheap deal like rookie contract.

Or veteran on team friendly deal