1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature] Justice League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmenacela, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Aquaman had the good fortune of great casting for its lead. Momoa is the real deal. Casting Amber Heard was a mistake, not just because she is apparently an insane harpy, but also because, you know, she can't act.

Yeah the pacing was a little weird sometimes, but overall, it was one of the best DC efforts so far, along with WW and Shazam.

I don't know what the executives at DC have been smoking over the years, but first Bryan Singer, and then Zack Snyder?

Meanwhile Marvel was knocking it out of the park with Whedon, Russos, Waititi..

Come on DC.. figure this stuff out !

TimDuncanDonaut and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I liked Sucker Punch and its darkness, I thought the visuals were awesome, don't really care about plot in these types of movies.

#542 jiggyfly, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was disappointed in Endgame it was very formulaic and kind of incoherent and the battles were kind of meh.

Watched Justice league again and yeah it was a mess but Man of Steel is in my top 5 I don't understand the complaints.

GRENDEL and RKREBORN like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The visuals were great, but I was expecting a mainstream blockbuster like Sin City. Instead we got Snyder dabbling in David Lynch-style-half-assed story telling with the mental institution theme.

Back when comic book adaptations were putrid, pre-2005, production companies would hire big shot directors who didn't give a **** about the material and decided to add their own twists and turns that soured geeks and fans. It happened because comic books weren't "mainstream" but had a reliable bottom line of geeks and fans...

Now that there's Comic Book fatigue, you might have producers outside Disney pulling that garbage again.

Who knows though. Those movies are crazy expensive to not make it watchable.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Mamoa has "it", but I think it was more James Wan directing the actors and material that made Aquaman a success. That movie could have gone bad real quick.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

To tell the truth I would give the majority of Comic Book movies a C and none of them great movies that could stand alone without the IP.

I love the genre but all of these movies over the last 2 years have been pretty disappointing, the only ones I have liked are the last Thor, WW, and Infinity War.

The reason why I liked Man of Steel is because the fight scenes were epic like in the actual comic books they tore **** up, comic books are all about the spectacle IMO. If you can get that right I am on board.

Have not seen Capt Marvel.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Think aquaman would have done better if they had cast that villian guy as aquaman. Momoa played it more like the guy from Green Lantern, when it probably needed a darker tone out of the gate. It was ok. Better than I thought it would be, but it wasn't good either.

Jontro likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree. Aquaman just the name alone is very silly and I thought a lot of the story was silly. What saved it for me was Momoa was willing to play it with a wink. Also the visuals were outstanding.

The problem I think DC has is that they have a hard time balancing the tone of their movies. With superheroes who are so powerful and plots that require major suspensions of belief it's hard to do them as dark and gritty while still taking seriously a villian called "Steppenwolf" and flying monkey henchmen. You need a sense of the absurd and the wink and nod that yes this is foolish but play along with us. Marvel struggled with this in the Eric Bana Hulk but Wheadon, Favraeu and Robert Downey Jr. figured it out in Iron Man. The Marvel movies are just as incredulous as DC but they much more of a sense of FUN than the DC movies. Even in Civil War which is the darkest MCU movie it never got bogged down or preechy like Man of Steel or Superman vs Batman does.

The time that going dark really works is like in Nolan's Dark Knight series. There you go along with it because it isn't about super powers and godlike enemies but is relatable. The Watchmen deals with superpowers but does so by making the one super powered being not a hero or a villain but as a force of nature that humans struggle to deal with.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What does Batman order to drink?

Just ice

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How was Man of Steel preachy?

I think it was the right amount of dark, Watchmen is very dark.

I really don't understand about suspensions of belief in a super hero movie, I mean duh.

I think Marvel needs to amp up the power of the villains and superheroes Vision was wasted the entire time and Thor finally let lose in endgame, I think Iron man has been a bit underwhelming as a fighter.

I liked aquaman and it was due to Momoa the plot kinda sucked and the villains where just there, visuals where great.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I found "Man of Steel" preachy with Kevin Costner's character dying just to make a point about Clark Kent not revealing his power.. Not just Jor-El but an AI avatar of Jor-El lecturing Zod about Kryptonian society.. Superman lecturing soldiers about his tie to Earth. Zod lecturing Superman about Kryptonian society.. I'm not one to be against preechy but it got too heavy handed for an action movie.

As for suspension of disbelief I can tell you and I have very different opinions. I'm not a fan extremely powered heroes and "Man of Steel" was one of the worst. I mean he flies through the Earth destroying the World Engine yet a whole ship of Kryptonians die when their ship crashes.

Also one thing that has bugged me about the Red Sun vs Yellow Sun thing is that under a Red Sun a Kryptonian is essentially a human but under a Yellow sun they are gods, can fly at not just hypersonic speeds but almost the speed of light, are invulnerable even to an nuclear explosion and can not only survive in a vaccuum but retain all of their powers even in deep space where rays from any sun is very week.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sounds like you have an issue with Superman as a character and yes he is supremely powered and has always been.

He was at war with the Kryptonians why would them dying be an issue it was a intergalactic war movie,when super powered beings fight **** gets ****ed up just like in the comics, I never understood that issue with the movie.

The part about hiding his powers was kind ok hokey but it was cannon right?

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Aquaman was down right terrible. Marvel movies are mostly bad.

14. Xerobull

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

good point breh. momoa was the worst possible cast for waterman. mr. conjuring would've been perfect.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

New Trailer for Synder's Cut.....

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think that came out a month or so ago.

Anyway, Cyborg still looks like ****

B-Bob likes this.
  18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Apparently it's similar to the first trailer from a bit ago but with a few added bits, original trailer had some rights issues with the song apparently.....

New Justice League Trailer Has Additional Superman, Cyborg Scenes And More
    SEAN O'CONNELL
    PUBLISHED: NOV. 17. 2020 7:32 AM

A few weeks back, the trailer that HBO Max published for Zack Snyder’s Justice League (dropped online during DC FanDome), disappeared. Fans freaked out, speculating that this might be an issue regarding the mini-series’ release on the cable streaming service. As it turns out, it was simply a music-rights issue, but Snyder took advantage of the clip being down, and came up with a cool way to bring it back… on a very special day.

The “Release the Snyder Cut” movement views Nov. 17 as a holy day. For starters, it’s the day the theatrical cut came out. But since that day in 2017, the Snyder Cut family has been fighting to restore the true version of Justice League, and a trending event last year opened up HBO Max’s eyes to the potential of the audience. This year, on Nov. 17, Zack Snyder plans to take over his own VERO account to repost the trailer for Justice League, and give insight to every frame. But before that happened, the trailer landed online.

For some odd reason, this restored version of the Justice League trailer is in black and white. Why? It takes away some of the glory of the shots that Zack Snyder has added back in, like the hologram of Superman that’s at the top of this page, or this glorious shot of Darkseid, in all of his glory.

Try to imagine what that shot is going to look like in all of its prime color. Is that from the History Lesson, the moment that Darkseid and his armies come to Earth to retrieve the Motherboxes, only to be met with the full power of all the forces for good that reside on our planet? This would be a magnificent battle between gods, Amazonians, Lanterns and Atlanteans. It’s an anticipated sequence that should be a highlight of the four-part Snyder Cut when it lands on HBO Max.

The next character to receive yet another scene added on to the additional footage is Ray Fisher’s Cyborg, who now qualifies as “all over this new trailer.” A quick rundown of the Cyborg scenes already IN the Justice League trailer include his football days, him at the grave of his mother, and a tragedy in STAR Labs where he’s unable to save his father (Joe Morton). But Zack Snyder, doubling down on the claim that Cyborg is going to be the heart of the Snyder Cut, also shows a heartbreaking shot of the post-injury Victor Stone looking down at kids playing football in the street… something that this cybernetic organism no longer will be able to do.

The rest of the trailer plays out as before, with Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) promising that Steppenwolf and Darkseid haven’t faced the League before, and that they are in for the battle of the century. Snyder is expected to be on his VERO page at Noon EST today to break down this new trailer, so circle back to CinemaBlend for our insights.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/25...as-additional-superman-cyborg-scenes-and-more

Haymitch likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Is Bo Duke still Superman's dad?

20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

So, who saw it?

It's been a wild ride but imo Zack Snyder's Justice League delivers. Albeit it took an entire 4 hours but I felt this movie finally got its justice, pun intended. It felt like watching a new movie.