1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doris Burke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Nov 23, 2019.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Saturday's game was ESPN, right? Monday's is TNT, and I highly doubt those crews have any overlap, so she shouldn't be there.

D-rock likes this.
  2. raining threes

If white people were truly racist slavery would still be in America.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ever hear of the 13th amendment?

Slavery still exists in America.

:rolleyes:

seeingredtx likes this.
  4. val_modus

val_modus Member

Would be interesting to see how JVG would respond to her if they sat on a broadcast together.

5. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

This..

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

RIght now imo the best duo doing games is Spero Dedes and SVG. I am hoping the get the game on TNT today.

I think Doris is a decent color commentator but she is has a hard time holding back her biases. Normally its not a huge issue but Saturday's game was not her best game. She is much like Hubie Brown in that she roots for the "underdog" (which is a bit ironic since if anything Houston should be the underdog in this series - same record and missing Westbrook) but with OKC down 2-0 she (and for that part ESPN/TNT/NBA ) did not want to see OKC go down 3-0 and pretty have at best a gentleman's sweep of a series.

The thing that she said that really bothered me during the broadcast wasn't the rant about a double foul at the end but in the middle of the game Harden was shooting free throws and she brings up how James "is right we are probably going to look back at his career once he is retired and appreciate a whole lot more than we do now" -- That bothered me because how James is portrayed and perceived fall squarely on the shoulders of the media which she is part of. She could do her part to help change the narrative but does not and admits that there is a negative bias against James.

The game is over - I was more annoyed at the missed 3s (Looking squarely at Gordon here) and lost opportunities there. Hopefully Doris does look back and see how she called the game Saturday and improves because I do believe she is one of the better color commentators in the bubble right now. I would much rather have her than Greg Anthony, Jim Jackson, Chris Webber thats for sure.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The United States was the last nation that experienced the industrial revolution to ban slavery.

8. fchowd0311

The narrative of Harden being a foul baiter is on him, not the media. He's notorious for attempting to foul bait on clutch game moments when most players would just care about getting a clean shot attempts off.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I wasn't talking about "foul baiting" but more the downplay of his offensive accomplishments (scoring and passing) and the lingering narrative of him being an extremely poor defender.

s3ts and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course you go straight to this, predictable.

s3ts likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

If I say Donald Trump is a narcissistic idiot, it would be predictable also but the statement is still accurate.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

This one random person on the internet is speaking for all the white people in America.

lol ok.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

except “foul baiting” isn’t the major part of his undeserved narrative...

D-rock likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Defense? That part is semi-undeserved. Yes the media narrative lags behind in terms of Harden's defensive effort. He's definitely improved that quite a bit the past few seasons and parts of the media still pretend it's 2016 still.

15. s3ts

s3ts Member

You still wrap it up in a vacuum to talk about Harden.

In this SPECIFIC instance, it was Rockets ball on an inbound after OKC scored 2 points. There's almost 0 reason for Harden to try to bait a foul, and he wasn't trying to get in the face of Chris Paul to draw that foul, he was clearly trying to get open for the inbound pass.

And now we arrive at Chris Paul, which NONE of you want to discredit, who does an even WORSE job at foul bating and you'd rather protect Chris Paul and Doris Burke over James Harden and the Rockets on a Rockets fan forum.

This is ridiculous.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

defense...inflated stats...selfish player...ball hog...manipulator of the rules with his stepback when what he’s doing is perfectly legal

all part of his narrative, all undeserved

D-rock and s3ts like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

ugh, I hope not

it’s not even her bias which is bad enough...she’s just extremely boring to listen to...every game she calls, she makes less exciting...she and her partner are the ESPN C-Team for a reason

her voice is like a human sleep aid

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Blah, blah, blah, blah ...

Same take ad nauseum.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

thats the most stupid thing i've ever read here bro. Wow!

You might want to save these kinds of opinions for the Texans room. SMH. Incredible.

You're a 50-70 year old white male right?

D-rock likes this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Regardless, Harden has often gotten called for the foul in cases like that. We can complain about whether that's fair or not, but the question remains whether there's a smarter way for him to deal with that kind of defense so he doesn't depend on the refs not whistling him for the foul.

I think what @fchowd0311 is arguing is that Harden should try to be less dependent on the whims of referees, because you never know whether calls will go in your favor or not in pressure moments. That's my feeling, anyway.

fchowd0311 likes this.