1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Louisiana Supreme Court upholds Black man's life sentence for stealing hedge clippers more than 20 y

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad to see fair-mindedness being mocked. lol.

Jayzers_100, RayRay10 and Corrosion like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really don't have an issue with these habitual offender laws in principal

Think about it there is a point where society has had enough of an individual who continues to commit felonious acts and they wash their collective hands of that individual.

This to me is much like the death penalty which in principal I fully support but in practice , not so much. You put the wrong person to death one time and that's just once too many.

In this case the use of the statute is kinda sketchy being that the guy only had one criminal act that was of any significance in the burglary of a habitation (one of the worst crimes I can think of outside of murder or rape) and the other crimes were for petty **** that didn't amount to a hill of beans.

The best way to solve this is to limit the charges that constitute that habitual status where stealing hedge clippers and other misdemeanor **** doesn't trigger the statute.

Don't know how many of you have seen the inside of a prison - I did quite a bit of contract work for the state thru my company and I can tell you that most of those people behind those walls belong there .... for the duration. Society has no need for that mentality.
    How the majority of people in those places treat / view women is particularly disturbing / disgusting. My lead engineer was a woman and after the first day she refused to go back - said I'd have to get her the data she needed without her presence. Can't say I blame her either.

Jayzers_100 and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I knew that was coming ....

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The three strike rule in my opinion is bad because it essentially is resentencing for sentrnces that the felon already served.

An argument can be made that three strike laws are essentially a form of a double jeopardy.

#24 fchowd0311, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    AleksandarN and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Like I said , there comes a point where society has had enough of an individual - based on His own actions. This muthaf'er just can't be reformed. At that point , it's best for society to erase that individual ...

That said , I would limit those crimes to very severe ones - rape / sex offenses , murder , kidnapping , burglary (of someone's home). Basically these crimes can net you a life sentence to begin with (outside of burglary) - you do it trice - die in a fire.

I add burglary (of a habitation) to this list because although it isn't in itself a violent act - it leaves the victim feeling violated and unsafe in their own home pretty much forever. And then there's the possibility that someone is in fact home where literally anything could happen ... It takes a special type of jackass to break into someone's home.

If you want to argue about civil rights for those type of people .... go ahead , it'll fall on deaf ears.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that is what am referring too. It is one the few significant bipartisan bills passed under Trump and it was done so with significant Democratic participation.

#26 rocketsjudoka, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Jayzers_100 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

What rock have you been under jim crow laws should have been cancelled a long time ago they are all one sided against black Americans anybody that can think this ok may need to have there minds check for mental issues.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Was he going to start a landscape company?

I'd have given him 30 years.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Your reading comprehension is totally lacking there buddy.

I said in principal I agree with the idea but in practice not so much (do you know wtf that means?)

In this particular case , I do not ... the things he was convicted of were petty ****.

Read my follow up post , maybe you'll get it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Holy crap let this guy go free Man , its 2020 ! people can get away beating up store owners, bricking police half to death, pouring acid on puppies and establishing autonomous zones.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

All sorts of issues with three strikes, but I really wouldn't count double jeopardy as one. Criminal history is a relevant factor for sentencing

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a prosecutor what do you think about the "Cruel and Unusual" argument against three strikes and mandatory sentencing laws? As in this case while he had committed multiple crimes the punishment is disproportionate to the crime and could be considered "cruel."

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think that's a valid argument. I find liberal uses of solitary confinement to be cruel as well. I can look it up but is the three strike law in Louisiana imposing a mandatory life after three felony convictions or just subjecting them to that possible sentence?

RayRay10 likes this.