1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] (2)LA Clippers vs. (7)Dallas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 14, 2020.

?

(2)LA Clippers vs. (7)Dallas

Poll closed Aug 17, 2020.
  1. Clippers in 4

5.6%
  2. Clippers in 5

16.7%
  3. Clippers in 6

38.9%
  4. Clippers in 7

11.1%
  5. Mavs in 7

16.7%
  6. Mavs in 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mavs in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mavs in 4

11.1%
  1. Fefo

Fefo Member

Kwahi must feel pretty heavy carrying the dead body of pg13 around.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

exactly. i feel like there's always been this kind of dynamic in basketball, with whites generally being a minority and thus their whiteness sticking out as a defining feature. maybe it's not good, but i don't think it means the person saying it hates white people. i'm pretty sure "this white boy can shoot" has been said about me. i didn't take it as anyone calling me "boy" or actually insulting me. white boy just doesn't mean what boy does when referring to a black person. b**** ass means the same thing across all races.

i don't think this was montrezl's dissertation on race relations. luka's the new star getting all the attention, which almost always makes some players jealous and ready to get into it with those players. he and harrell already had a scuffle where doncic was trying to act tough so harrell was looking to insult him. luka's got a distinguishing characteristic that's probably going to come up in the insult. thus "b**** ass white boy".

RudyTBag and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

altho luka was probably already better in europe than harrell in his peak. but I'll just attribute this to harrell being stupid emotional.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody wants to see that
    No matter how much we hate the Mavericks
    I wanted a long series since it was an entertaining series

likestohypeguy and RayRay10 like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

This series is over, Clippers have too much talent.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

harden and ego should take notice
    dont pull up from 35 feet guys when your shot is cold and the lane to the rim is open

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I talked a ton of crap on the court, only dropped the black boy comeback when I was ready for a fight.

Got called white boy a million times and it pissed me off every single time. I f**king hate that people view it as an acceptable thing to say. When you are already feeling isolated as a very small white minority at an inner city school, hearing it very much pushes you into a racist mindset towards black people.

I know he won't, but I wish Silver would at least address it.

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Pandemic P Lowlights vs Mavericks in Game 2

Playoff pee, playing poo poo.

---
    Commentator 1: "a technical foul"
    Commentator 2: "Did he punch the air again?" :D

#389 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    GradyMcTracy and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You can call it “racist” — but that’s just a word. The important question is: What makes it wrong? And if you try to answer that question, at any depth, you would understand that what it makes wrong for a white person and what makes it wrong for a black person are not the same. You can’t just ignore historical context when talking about racism.

This isn’t to defend him making that comment. Of course it was inappropriate. But to equate that with what black people face is simplistic and kind of ignorant, in my opinion. They are just not the same kind of thing, contrary to what you are arguing.

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's all in the context. He wasn't saying it in a joking way. He was pissed off, making derogatory comments, and threw in his skin color while doing it. If basketball was predominantly a white man's sport, and Luka called Harrell a b**** ass black boy would it be tolerated now, in these times? Somehow I doubt Harrell wouldn't refrain from punching him in the face, but I could be wrong.

snowconeman22 and clutchdabear like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If white people went through several hundreds years of slavery, than yeah I think it would be very, VERY tolerated.

Besides, white boy is just as often a compliment as it is an insult, so now we are doubly confused.

Thanks Black people!

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

I cant believe the amount of people finding Harrell's comment acceptable

I bet you anything

If Luka was asian, you damn right he would be saying "b**** ass asian boy"

Its a hypocrite comment by a hypocrite. I dont want to see him standing up for anything

Jontro and clutchdabear like this.
  14. durvasa

Purity tests for who is allowed to stand up against racial injustice are stupid, especially if it’s coming from white people.

15. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

no one here is trying to ignore historical context. but at the same time in no way can any shape or form of racism be allowed, especially in times like this. if we go by history, then anyone can bend the rules the way they want it to be. live in the ****ing present already.

mlk never wanted african americans to have a special privelege over others just because of a prior history of unimaginable suffering. he just dreamed of a day when people of all race and color, not only just black or white, but also asian and latino, could just stand next to each other and get along.

i'm sorry but defending montrez here really is as hypocritical as it can get. and this is coming from a non-white minority.

deb4rockets, JumpMan and Outlier like this.
  16. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

there is no good or bad racism. any type regardless of who it is directed at needs to be outed. if not, then the whole cycle just continues... as certain races will start to think they are getting singled out and others have certain privileges.

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. durvasa

I don’t have an issue with people arguing that he shouldn’t have said it, or even that using language like that can undermine his cause. But I do have a big problem with acting like he doesn’t care about the problems uniquely faced by black people, and further that he’s now disqualified from speaking out about it, just because something inappropriate slipped out in the heat of the moment. This wreaks of an ulterior desire to tell black people to shut up already about racial injustice. It’s gross.

#397 durvasa, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  18. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm not white. I'm just saying, I've encountered people saying this to me before like it's okay.

A lot of people just have been desensitized because a lot of people do it. It doesnt make it right.

19. durvasa

Using “white boy” to denigrate someone isn’t OK. Fully agree with you on that. But that he made a mistake in the heat of the moment, or perhaps even doesn’t get why it’s problematic to use words like that, doesn’t mean his views on racial justice are totally meritless and should be ignored. No one is perfect, and yet we all judge, so we are therefore all hypocrites to some degree or other. That’s part of being human — and it’s not a good reason to tell someone they shouldn’t speak up about important issues that impacts their lives and the lives of people they care about.

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not condoning the bigotry and disgusting hatred if the past. My point, was that he no way called him White Boy as a compliment when he said it in anger.

snowconeman22 and clutchdabear like this.