1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hate when they say things like injury to sell you. The study showed inflammation of the heart. The NCAA is seeing this condition in their athletes which is probably one of the main reasons conferences are leaning towards cancelling the fall season. Imagine the optics of a kid dying during a game.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/08/09/ncaa-cardiac-inflamation-coronavirus-myocarditis-concerns

#9541 rockbox, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I wonder if they are just taking a while shot in the dark hoping it'll work "good enough" and not kill anyone, or if they've been secretly testing with "challenge" tests this whole time and they have a pretty good idea it works.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Pac-12... Out.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

KingCheetah likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ziggy likes this.
  7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I got hit by the virus in late June. First symptom was just tiredness. I'm a pretty decent long distance runner and at the end of one of my longer runs I was just super tired. Then I got some runny nose. There was quite a bit of waxing and waning of temperature. Like after first symptoms I felt better after 2-3 days and then my temperature would spike and I would feel terrible. This would continue on for a few days. My oxygen readings were fine. Fruit tasted really funny. Also nausea and malaise was probably the worst symptom. When I got PCR tested finally my temperature was normal and the docs looking at me said most likely I didn't have it since I was fairly energetic. CXR was totally fine as well. Results a few days later didn't match their assessment.

I work in a large hospital system and over 20+ of my colleagues also have tested positive. Luckily, only a few of them were actually admitted to the hospital, the rest were just fine at home. I noticed the ones who did much better were the ones who were fairly athletic, but I guess they are generally healthier. All of them are now back at work.

A week after the worst of my symptoms I was able to go on a 10 mile bike ride. I was able to get back to full running activities about a month later. I don't really have any lingering symptoms. I've never really been sick. I've never had the flu and I last had the common cold about 7 years ago. So this definitely threw me for a loop. I started feeling a bit better once I started mass dosing echinacea + vitamin C and zinc.

On another note, Moderna contacted me about offering their trial vaccine to patients. I've asked about 250 patients and I've not had a single person who has signed up.

Good luck. Fortunately for me things have returned back to normal.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

glad you aite breh. do share with us more details of your symptoms if possible.

i will turn my diet into lots of vit c. also what's the reason for patients turning down moderna?

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If you consider pages 1-5 of this thread, hard to believe we have 3/4 million deaths on earth and nearly 500 pages of the same thread.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

what's with all these countries now coming out with vaccines? russia wants to patent theirs... then a couple south american countries are coming out with their own as well.

what's taking the rest of the developed world so long?

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Heard echinacea can be really bad for liver.

Also, I would not touch Moderna vaccine. It's mRNA based which has not be tested for long term effects.

I have my eyes on the Oxford vaccination.

TWS1986 and Jontro like this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I believe Russia stole the Oxford vaccination and are just passing it along as their own with limited or no testing.

Jontro likes this.
  13. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I was on a Zoom presentation with an editor of Scientific American this week. He said the Russian vaccine basically is treating their Stage 3 trial as Stage 1 and they're cutting major corners. Other than that, little is known about it because the lab involved is tied to the Russian military so it is extra secretive compared to other countries/vaccines.

Pretty much there are 2 vaccines in later stage testing and 2 that show positive data not in later stages yet so there's 4 solid vaccine candidates right now despite what every country seems to claim every week.

He praised the NYT for having a regularly updated vaccine tracker: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

That being said, even if we found a vaccine in the US at the end of the year, we'd need to make 600+ million doses (2 for each person), and we'd need like 70%+ of the population vaccinated to reach community immunity. Given that nearly 1/3rd of Americans would refuse a vaccine, not to mention the significant time to manufacture 600+ million doses, it is highly unlikely we will have community immunity until 2022+. On the plus side, he said Covid19 mutates slower relative to other viruses so that is beneficial for vaccine development.

No Worries and Jontro like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They're actually testing theirs. lol.

There are about 5 or 6 leading candidates from about 4 or 5 different countries from what I've read. Don't be surprised if a couple of Chinese companies come out with something. In the US, Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech are "in the lead", and Astra Zeneca/Oxford University from Europe is a front-runner. I think an Australian company I forget is also in Phase 2 or Phase 3 trials. No telling which, if any, will provide good enough results.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

did not know. any trusted links to this?

i also thought that scientists around the globe are working together in this huge network to find a vaccine, so everything is open, no secrets. i guess my 13 year old naive self has much to learn

16. Buck Turgidson

Only made it through 2 pages and 3 posts.

I'm an *******. Oops.

TWS1986 likes this.
  17. Miracle

Miracle Member

Russia skipped Phase 3 testing entirely and approved the vaccine. Having a vaccine is not the same as having a safe and effective one.

TexasTofu and Jontro like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

i read that most countries are currently in phase 3 (final stage?) of trials and are hoping to have mass production by the year's end and enough for all the population by next summer.

i can't wait to have the vaccine and be able to go out on vacation. well at least just to go out in general without fear of dying. wearing a mask with glasses is irritating. also the skin on my hands are pretty much ruined from all the constant disinfectants and soap, to the point that the fingerprint security on my phone doesn't recognize my finger.

TWS1986 likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

Russians rushing a Moon Shot level program... what could possibly go wrong?

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member