1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

3. malakas

malakas Member

Obesity is a serious underlying health problem especially when it comes to Covid19.
    Only 0.2% of americans under 50 are obese?
    Thats news to me.

4. malakas

malakas Member

The second wave is now hitting Europe.

Most governments have vowed not to do a total lockdown again but with the way things go I dont see how it will be feasible.

Most people are fatigued and more interested on how to do their summer holidays .

The cake goes to the UK with the least amount passed between lockdown end and second wave.

They only reopened their pubs and restaurants on 3 August and already they got 1000 cases a day again.:rolleyes:

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

0.2% is talking about the percentage of those under 50 where COVID-19 would be fatal. There are many, many people who have all manner of serious underlying health problems who would have little to no trouble with COVID-19 even if they caught it. My parents are an example of that. They are both elderly, they both are diabetic, and my father is a heart patient. When they caught COVID-19 they had a nasty cough and had a low grade fever for a week or so, but that was the end of it.

As I've said in the past, for those uner 50, it's a game of Russian Roulette where there are 5000 chambers and only 1 bullet. 4999 people will get through it thinking it was no big deal....but that doesn't make the 1 unlucky person and their family feel any better about it. If you are over 80, it's more like 7 chambers and 1 bullet, I'm not a fan of those odds.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Cases are a bad metric. Good that this post is gramatically correct though. See? You can learn from this.

7. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cases were a bad metric. Considering we're past test ramp up period (assuming Europe is doing as well as Texas on testing), cases is a good metric, now.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How is the NFL possibly going to have a season? It should have started last week.

Amiga, TWS1986 and B-Bob like this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ya im doubting the NFL. They should delay till mid oct and hopev for 10 games

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They should probably go all in on contact tracing and pass digital privacy updates to scramble and scrap the data. We're heading towards turnkey surveillance, if not there already, so it's up to lawmakers to wind down that Beast everytime this happens.

Lockdown is a crude stopgap and I can't blame people for becoming lax on it as matches their downward slide in mental health.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Russia got the first vaccine? I.D. I. O. T.

TWS1986 and Jontro like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

im reading other stuff talking here immunity at much lower %s (of symptomatic people at least not necessarily positive tests).

like:

Now... this is the state of “news” these days so who knows. I see just as many competing “we’ll never reach herd immunity” or “attempt at herd immunity in place x,y,z” is failing.

Curious about the pure science of it. Lower herd immunity threshold because of T cell in place from prior coronavirus exposure (Eg common colds). And T cells diminish in old age and apparently the thymus is important here (and thymus effectiveness often wanes in older age).

Related question - Florida, Texas, AZ, CA and the other second wave states seem far enough away from the peak second wave that we should have good hospitalization and icu and mortality rates numbers now. How do they look, especially in comparison to the first wave??

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

for what it's worth, i hope russia gets it right. does matter where and who came up with it first.

TexasTofu likes this.
  18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I need that temperature translated into American.

Andre0087 and arkoe like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Putin even wants his daughter's ID to be kept secret.

Jontro likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Jontro likes this.