1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Like it or not, CP3 has started brewing his retaliation games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Asian Sensation

Who would’ve thought CP3 would’ve lead that dog **** roster to the same amount of wins as the Rockets? Replace CP3 with WB on that team and that’s a .500 or below team. Hell, the preseason prediction was OKC was going to be a lottery team and CP3 would be bought out before the deadline and sign with the Lakers.

Not even OKC’s most hardcore fan or anybody for that matter could’ve predicted OKC’s win share. Just Chris Paul doing Chris Paul things.

Man I miss CP3. Gonna really miss him when Westbrick inevitably makes boneheaded plays like always does.

ronclone, kjayp, ICEibuPROfen and 5 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We were contenders with CP is what you're saying. Whether we are "not wasting Hardens prime" giving up two more firsts and CP for Westbrook remains to be seen. Clutchfans is demonstrating that we are still clearly in the honeymoon phase. But we haven't even hit the playoffs yet. Depending in the playoff result it could be a long off-season and the cupboard is bare. Everything is totally up for debate. I'm gonna be on pins and needles this playoff season!

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The original assertion was about 6 first round picks. The 6 first round picks include the picks we gave up for CP3. My point is if you were go back in time, and I asked you, "would a guaranteed 3 seasons of contention plus opportunity for up to 3 more be worth 6 future first round picks", what would your answer be? Also, take into account, that they will be low first round picks and our track record with first round picks.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Ain’t nobody scared of CP3. His playoff choking is more renowned than Hardens. If there were live games I’d worry about Westbrook trying to much in OKC, but since that’s not an issue.

beardsanity713, tinman and D-rock like this.
  5. napalm06

Completely agreed. And we burned an extra 2 first round picks. Its tough on paper. But could still work out especially since Russ's unique game led us to supercharge small ball. Everyone is so salty about the CP injury in 2018 that killed a championship team, they act like he didn't get us there in the first place. This is one I can definitely see from both sides.

kjayp, DreamShook and Asian Sensation like this.
  6. napalm06

OK, I understand what you mean. I didn't know if that 6 includes the last 2 we gave up for WB. Jury is still out on those, for me.

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I hate CP3 because after he signed that ultra-max deal, he played like garbage the entire year (when he wasn't injured) and complained about how the system sucks and he should be getting more touches. Fair argument from him but he should've kept that in-house instead of leaking it to the media.

You can bet your ass CP3 will be doing everything to try to knock us out of the playoffs if we meet that team, including dirty plays to try to injure us.

I guarantee it! This dude is well known for holding grudges.

Also, it's ridiculous Thunder has like 15 picks in the next 7 years... Outside of the Harden trade, Presti has basically been a genius.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You have to consider that the Westbrook trade was partly to make Harden happy. How much is keeping the best offensive player to ever play basketball happy worth to you?

RayRay10 and Icehouse like this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wasn't aware.

We've only been contenders once IMO, 2017-18.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets should win but keep in mind that OKC is 31-12 since the middle of December and that they are an overtime loss to Denver from being 7-1 in their last 8.

We likely will see some teams playing particular ways to impact seeding. For example, the Clippers have the Nuggets and OKC left. Do the Clippers really relish the idea of playing the Nuggets in round 2 with Porter emerging as a star?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's also possible the clips could be dodging a 1st round matchup with Luka and Dallas. and rather prefer either okc/utah. that matchup wednesday bw lac/denver will be pretty telling what is preferred

no matter what the homers say, okc will be a tough out no doubt. rockets should probably win but it will far from be an easy series. cp3 is still damn good w/ plenty of added motivation and their 3 guard lineup has been a problem all year. okc isn't a true title threat and weren't even supposed to be where they are now based on what "experts" thought. the rockets are supposed to be. that's a significant point to remember

#31 YOLO, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    HP3, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  12. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

This just means CP3 misses Harden and wishes he still had a chance at a title. Can’t blame him.

BeBreezy and D-rock like this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is correct.

During Harden’s tenure we have given him 1 roster that could realistically win it all.

Some other years we have had some pretty damn good teams, but contenders? 17/18 is it so far.

RayRay10 and D-rock like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly. I can see high seed teams trying to dodge a team like the Mavericks because of the high variance associated with a team as good on offense as the Mavericks. If it becomes a shootout, a better team could find itself losing games 140-138....... Also, as for OKC, they have had excellent production from players other than just Paul. They can run out 3-4 man small ball units and they have some very good scorers to go with the defense played by Adams and Paul.

Paul and Westbrook haven't played each other in the playoffs in a long time. The Rockets are going to need to run and get Westbrook out in transition to attempt to limit Paul. He cannot athletically keep up with Westbrook but Paul is going to limit the mistakes by the Thunder.

jcmoon, RayRay10 and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

You kill OKC by making them play at a faster breakneck pace and scoring often in transition opportunities.

CP3 loves to slow it down.

This how the Rockets beat the CP3 led Clips too.

RayRay10 and TMac'n like this.
  16. Icehouse

The only reason the trade doesn’t get an F is because Harden extended.

17. Icehouse

The Clippers have Kawhi and George. They aren’t ducking Luka. No one is. He’s good but sheesh.

ronclone and Little Bit like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn’t matter who the clips have. It’s all about preferable matchups. I’d rather play someone like Utah over Dallas Easily if I were them. Some of y’all seem to think luka isn’t highly regarded around the league. He definitely is. Definitely more than anyone that the j*zz have. The clips also know who is projected in next coming rounds. In a bubble, Do they want to deal with a top rated offense with luka/kp or some boring team like the j*zz who are largely missing one of their better scorers

#38 YOLO, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    BeBreezy likes this.
  19. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  20. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Umm... The games are live, aren't they?

Scarface, DeBeards and D-rock like this.