1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitching

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ktex, Jul 28, 2020.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Tried telling you guys earlier in this thread and other that this isn't our season. Trade away Brantley, Correa (if you can TOR #2,#1), Springer and build around your core until you get rid of Tuve contract. We aren't going to win anything this season. We need to retool and rebuild our image for another run in a few years.

Its funny that some people in this section thought the Stros were just going flip a switch this year because they had something to prove. As if playing in this world series wasn't enough motivation to get off their ass and hit the ball. We have alot of players on the wrong side of 30 and we need to retool.

Accept reality.

My point is that hitting isn't reliable. Cole still went out there and won us game 5 on the road when we needed him the most. Grienke came through in Game 7 and pitched more than sufficient to win us that game. The offense choked all series along/ JV had a decent start in game 6 and was worthy enough for a win. Starting pitching was not an issue for the most part in that world series. Dont fool yourself. The hitting was atrocious all playoffs along and we got away with it cuz we had Cole pitching shutouts.

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wouldn't trade Bregman Altuve Bregman Alveraz or Tucker. Some the young arms either.

But I sure would listen on everyone else

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There’s no sellers market this year. Nobody is going to give up valuable prospects to acquire rental bats for a pandemic season.

Talking about “accept reality” after 15 games is silly. Houston is without their ace, closer, 4th best bat, and #4 SP. No team just loses that many players without missing a beat, but either way, 15 games is FAR too small a sample to react to.

The Astros have a core of bats (Bregman, Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker, Correa) and a stable of burgeoning young pitchers (Javier, Urquidy, Bielak, Taylor, etc.), plus a wily veteran ace (Greinke) all lined up for next season. That’s not a roster begging for a rebuild.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

I never mentioned anything about trading either of those players. I wouldn't even trade Whitley because we wouldn't get enough value for him. At this point, I think you build around Whitley, Tuve, Bregs, Tucker, Yordan. I wouldn't trade Paredes either. His stuff is electric and you need to let him develop and find control of his off-speed. I know as a mini season ticket holder myself I would happily support a mini rebuild of 2-3 years. I think most fans would be sold on the idea as we rebrand our image around the league also. Most people understand that Bregman was only a rookie in 2017 and cut him slack.

You don't know what the market is and neither do I. If there's no market then obviously I agree we keep what we have. My hypothesis is based upon that there is a willing market. IF there if no market then obviously disregard my post.

5. HTown2017Champs

Lets revisit this "be sellers at the deadline" talk in 2 weeks. By then we should have a VERY clear idea of who is in and out of the race.

That said, I am a believer in restocking the farm. If we're still playing like this and JV really is out for the season, then I'm open to it. Guys still under control for 2021 would have more value, but if things get better with the virus, and a team is really desperate, anything can happen.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. raining threes

Screw this rebuilding the Stros image crap.

Go out and win some games

PS, find a closer

Nook, Astrofan59 and desihooper like this.
  7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

And get some young talent in here. Open some pay roll

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook and raining threes like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Who do you want to sign that is available and would help?

IMO, it not 1 or 2 guys to fill holes that we need, we need 4-5 pen guys plus a starter. Pulling out the wallet isnt going to solve too much this year. But this coming off-season? Hell ya!

10. raining threes

If they can find a closer a bullpen with Pressley/James/Taylor/Scrubb/Paredes doesn't look too bad.

11. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I found it interesting that we did not hold onto Jared Hughes. Not the greatest reliever but would have been a nice piece.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I really don’t think they will need 4-5 guys in the pen.

Ideally they add a strong arm in the pen, possibly a solid reliever and an inning eating solid starting pitcher.

One thing I will say, for as disastrous as the last two weeks have been, some of the young pitchers are ready or almost ready...

raining threes likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Move reddick out and Yuli. Try and get Mountcastle from the Orioles. Not saying on earth tqo of them for him but something.
    Let Tucker full time in RF.
    Yuli has value .
    Reddick might be a hard sale but if we took someone back that would be OK.

15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Josh James needs a new team new atmosphere.
    I'm sure he has alittle value.
    Wonder if the Orioles would do
    Cobb and Mountcastle for James Reddick and another prospect?

Js think ahead alittle for next year.
    Yuli can easily net us a top 5ish prospect. Hopefully a SP type

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think a couple guys that have done well to this point will end up being fools gold.

Nook likes this.
  17. Senator

Senator Member

What a pointless season - shoulda just scrapped it. 162 games is too long, 62 games is too short, All seasons should be 120 games long. I wouldn't be excited if the Astros were 15-0 either.

There will be no significant acquisitions for the asterisk season, just teams hoping to build some momentum in month 2. And being you can finish 3rd in your division and still make the playoffs, can't write off anyone.

18. HTown2017Champs

I feel the season should have been 81 games, exactly half. It couldn't be the full length obviously, but 60 feels too short.

I, personally, with regards to trading, am firmly in the "let's check back in 2 weeks" camp. By then we should have a clearer idea of how the league looks, even in the shortened season and expanded playoffs. As for what Click is thinking, only he knows. But, even with Yordan back, and Altuve/Springer/Bregman fully waking up, I'm not confident in this squad because pitching is a huge concern if JV really is lost for the year. With this season being the way it is, guys with 1.5 yrs of control remaining would likely be the hotter commodity, since 2021 (should be normal hopefully) provides insurance if this season is terminated.

raining threes and TWS1986 like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros currently with an 80% chance of making the playoffs and a 7% chance of winning the World Series.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Absolutely, at least a few will........and that is where the caution lies. Some of the guys are getting outs but the stuff is mediocre...... a lot of these guys have good stuff, but they have major flaws as well. Realistically if the Astros get one middle of the rotation starter and a couple solid pen arms out of this, it will be a success....... ideally would love to have two starting pitchers come out of all of this, but that is asking for a lot.

Snake Diggit likes this.