1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

This seems unsustainable... what happens when bytedance/tencent/netease come up with a new popular social media app?

Also, FB is the best candidate to run TikTok but I guess that isn't the priority + it would contradict the current anti-trust hearings. Buy instagram = anti-competitive, but can you do it 1 more time with tik tok?

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on it being risky, I was kind of thinking a small pullback but continued momentum up after, so it'd have to be something you watch and move asap, probably more risk than reward - so I think you're more likely right that it'll keep going up. Also, thanks for the tip on Samsung. I was already excited for AMD on their processor wins and potential win on GPUs, but the mobile side of things could make this even better.

I think it's great to see AMD moving up finally. I've used AMD on/off for years, but I'd say over the last 10 years it's been all Intel for my computers I've put together. I do remember before that though it was AMD/Intel/AMD etc etc. I have a feeling more than likely my next build will have an AMD.

Edit- shoot man, it's been ~15 years... It was an AMD x2 on their 939 socket.

#11042 CCity Zero, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    adoo and saitou like this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Apple would be the best company to buy tiktok if you had to pick.

adoo likes this.
  4. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

The 4 under investigation probably wouldn't want to invite more scrutiny. I'm still wondering how msft escaped the investigation haha. Msft recently gave up on mixer so not a good track record with social media video, but I guess they are the only big buyer left.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, man, great point on MSFT avoiding it. I honestly don't know how they did it either.

saitou likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Isn't Microsoft still trying to buy Vine?

saitou likes this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

very thorough fundy analysis. there are more bull runs from AMD

i sold a bearish CALL spread on TSM, who will X-div on 17 Sep for $2.4 credit on 9-18-20 contracts,
    defining my max risk to be $2.6

• bto 85 call, sto 90 call
    [​IMG]
    couple of days after TSM's X-Div, i will load up on CALLs for AMD and TSM to participate in the next ERS runs

saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  8. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

AMD is too much risk for me. I'm trying to think of companies that have just irrational valuations and don't even have the potential of being a disrupter that justifies such a valuation.

For example, I can't believe Wayfair should be a $25B company when the industry is very competitive and not profitable enough? They have Amazon, etc to compete against....

Or is Carvana really worth almost 2x CarMax? I mean they would have to ultimately be so much more profitable in a pretty competitive market as well.

I have hesitated on other companies that have high ratios because ultimately their addressable market is so huge, they have multiple growth opportunities, or they are in an emerging market that is so hard to gauge or I don't know enough about. However, the 2 above seem more like a new company replacing an older company in the marketplace.

Of course, puts/shorts on these companies are very expensive.

saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on AMD (very risky put and premium is high), and definitely good points on other companies. I'll be sure to share anything I do buy in on.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I haven't used an AMD CPU since around 1998-2001 (?) Nothing against them, I just wanted the performance of Intel back then. Even this year they've had bugs with their CPUs. My next build may be an AMD, who knows, but nowadays you really don't upgrade CPUs like you did back then. I'm still running an Intel i7 6700k rig I built back in 2015, I think. There's really still no reason to upgrade that CPU, I don't think. Even GPU upgrades aren't as necessarily that frequently nowadays, I guess, unless you want to be on the bleeding edge.

I may jump on AMD if they pull back, but I'm so tech-heavy right now, I'm kind of scared. An alternative may be an ETF since damn-near everything in the sector has been flying up for months.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@Dream Sequence if I had to short a company next week I would short Kodak; but I generally don't short, I don't like the additional stress.

I have cheap, low conviction, ootm puts on HSBC expiring in sep and dec. Not expecting to make big money, it's just a hedge for the rest of my long holdings. It's not a volatile stock so premiums are relatively cheap, seems to only trend in 1 direction (down), and as bonus (as opposed to puts on an index), HSBC is a notoriously shady bank so there's always a small chance another scandal could break out, its finding it harder to make money because of reduced NIM, and has additional exposure to trade war escalation, HK unrest, HK property bubble and China bank bad debt fears.

In summary I think HSBC is a cheap hedge as it will go down with rest of market if there's a crash, and has additional low likelihood but high reward catalysts that puts on an index wouldn't give.

adoo and Dream Sequence like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I can almost guarantee that Lemonade will be successful. In 15-20 years that company will have a gigantic valuation.

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Can you share your thinking on lmnd and your target buy price? I've been looking at it but still unsure, my main worry is competition, how strong is their moat? Could a venmo/PayPal or cash/square offer the same thing and kill it off? Or could a traditional insurance company modernize and offer the same thing?

I'm thinking of the way Google was late to the accommodation aggregation booking game, but proceeded to bleed aggregators like booking.com anyway.

14. astros123

astros123 Member

Load up on puts on Draftkings this week boys. When MLB gets canceled which is bound to happen there will be a ripple effect to gambling stocks. Easy easy money. The stock market this year been like taking candy from a baby. Nice to see all my predictions come to fruition while fkin losers like @Senator still pretend they know anything LOL.

Easy $$ everywhere. Get rich boys! Don't miss out on easy money!

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those of you following the TikTok/Microsoft/Chinese stocks saga, this could be important :

Trump to take action on Chinese software firms in the coming days: Pompeo
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/02/tru...ese-software-firms-in-coming-days-pompeo.html

Amid speculation that the U.S. would force TikTok to divest its U.S. assets, Microsoft emerged as a potential buyer.

But talks between Microsoft and TikTok owner Bytedance are reportedly on pause following signals from Trump that the administration would oppose such a deal, The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday, citing people familiar with the matter.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. jsingles

jsingles Member

WTRH will report earnings this week or next, they are my biggest position and I am up a solid mid 4-figures since March. It's at $5.39 right now, I think it surpasses $6 easily in the next 10 trading days with a possibility of $7+.

Also, good chance at some point they get bought out by another company . They are the only major food delivery service that is profitable, Grub Hub, Uber Eats, Door Dash etc, aren't currently making money.

CCity Zero, Sajan and BmwM3 like this.
  18. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

In since under a dollar, but have averaged up. Also one of my big holdings. I see you on ST posting under same name. Lol

jsingles and CCity Zero like this.
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

HSBC profits plunge as bank preps for COVID loan losses

HSBC Holdings reported a steep drop in profits on Monday as its provision for loan losses returned to the highest level in a decade due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Net profit for the three months ended June 30 fell 87.7% to $617 million from $5.03 billion a year earlier. On a pretax basis, the bank generated gains of $1.09 billion, falling well short of analyst expectations of $2.5 billion.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Finance/HSBC-profits-plunge-as-bank-preps-for-COVID-loan-losses

NIM of 1.33% down 21 bps largely driven by Asia down 27 bps and HSBC UK down 33 bps.

Shares down 6.5% in pre-market.

20. adoo

adoo Member

CCity Zero likes this.