1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitching

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ktex, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ktex

ktex Member

The likely loss of Verlander notwithstanding...what the f were we thinking and doing this offseason???

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not overreacting.

dmoneybangbang and lnchan like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You can't predict this --

phasors28 likes this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

If things look grim for us, time for Click to put on his hoodie and go full Belichick.

Since Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Gurriel, etc. are impending FA, get something for them (in a scenario where we're out of the hunt). Reload the farm, which has been badly depleted.

This is how good teams STAY good for a long time.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With expanded playoffs, odds of Houston ever being “out of the hunt” are incredibly low. And even if they were, no team is going to give up anything of value for a few games of Gurriel or Reddick in a pandemic season. They may get a fringe prospect for Brantley and somebody from an Org’s Top 10 for Springer, but there’s almost no way they get enough value to make it worthwhile.

They need to chill and weather this season like all the other teams have to do. Get some of their young arms some experience to present some potential long term solutions. Work an extension with Springer and/or Correa if possible.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Forgot...win the whole damn thing.

7. ktex

ktex Member

It just might be, reload, not rebuild. Ugh, hate to say that.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This. Can we calm down with the doomsday predictions. Let's ride this thing out and win some games, get Urquidy and Alvarez back, and destroy the league.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Can we hire Luhnow as a private consultant so we can ask him what he would do?

10. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

And people say we got away scot free. Most important guy in the franchise was made to leave.

11. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I get it with firing Hinch but Luhnow I didn't agree with. Let him sit his year out and before he gets back demand a full culture change (Taubman etc) and go back to work. Crane caved to the media on that one.

No Worries and jcee15 like this.
  12. raining threes

This is how Manfred screwed the Astros

Hopefully Urquidy makes it back and they make a trade for another SP. A guy like Sonny Gray sure would look good in an Astros uni.

Once Pressley makes it back the bullpen will be much better. When 2/5ths of your rotation is out and you were searching for a 5th starter to begin with, this is what pitching staff that lacks depth looks like. Add in your dominant setup guy being hurt and there are issues all over this staff.

The rookies have been pretty good overall. When Pressley gets back I think the bullpen with Osuna/Pressley/Sneed and a couple of the rookies will step up and be fine.

Click needs to trade for a SP though at some point this season.

13. raining threes

That was a deal he made with Manfred. Unless you believe that the punishment and Luhnow/Hinch getting fired on the same day was a coincidence. I don't believe that for a minute.

For everybody asking why weren't the Astros making trades this off-season, that's kinda hard to do when you're hiring a GM/manager.

Rock Block likes this.
  14. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Then as far as Luhnow is concerned there must’ve been more damning evidence there then was public?

Or, as you say I can see where Manfred says they both go or we strip the title from you.....

15. raining threes

Strip ownership

Not the title.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If no one hires luhnow we will know he was banned. He was by far the best GM in baseball.

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Bleeding weakness.

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Would it be improper to state that 2020 has been a heaping pile of steamy dog sh** thus far? I am having a hard time finding something positive other than my body isn't room temperature. Started with the Astros castration in 2019. Continued with the rox being MEH. Then this pandemic hits. I get sh** canned. Astros stumble out of the gate. Looks like Verlander is done. I can't even gloat over 2017 as it has a * next to it. Hell I can't rewatch any of the games because my ATT DVR fried.. Ok. I'm done.

Rock Block likes this.
  19. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Yea that sounds like f*cking 2020 alright......

20. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Why didn't the Astros go after Foltynewicz?