1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander shut down 'a couple of weeks' with forearm strain

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 26, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

TJ is really only needed to pitch again, right? If he decided to just retire, could he just get some physical therapy and manage through life without surgery? If so, it's something to consider - that's a lot of work and rehab if you don't really seriously intend to continue in MLB.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Within the last few weeks I've seen him in an interview saying once again he wants to pitch until at least age 45. Of course this could change that mindset but I think he will want to prove himself again by rehabbing and coming back. It'll probably would be a one year prove it deal.

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If JV is out for an extended period of time, does anyone know if the Astros have insurance on his contract for injury? Would be good if that $33MM is picked up by insurance and Crane can authorize Click to use that money ear marked for JV elsewhere (Springer/Correa/additional pitcher(s)).

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This year, I think, he is "only" getting 12 million.

desihooper likes this.
  5. desihooper

Supporting Member

Right, but an extra $33MM worth of nickles to throw around next year would be nice!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros had to go through all sorts of gyrations to collect the insurance on Bagwell.

(I don't disagree with you by the way)

RayRay10 and desihooper like this.
  7. desihooper

Supporting Member

Wasn't that disability, though? That's why they didn't want him to go through Spring Training even though Baggy wanted to see if he give it a go (or learn to throw left handed). JV would just be a standard injury/rehab situation... not sure how it works, but could be an unexpected boost to payroll flexibility.

RayRay10 and donkeypunch like this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

So we are arguing over an insurance policy that we don't even know exists, and if it does exist nobody here knows the terms?

Here is an article about the insurance policies...

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2013/...-baseball-insurance-on-player-contracts.html/

And here is a quote that could sink any insurance claim the Astros might have on Verlander...

"For pitchers, the policy is generally more expensive and at times may not cover an injury to the elbow or throwing shoulder even if there is not a history of such injury."

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ner-jim-crane-sign-stealing-sorry/5544673002/

The Astros hope he can return in a month but also are bracing for the possibility of Verlander needing Tommy John surgery and possibly being out until 2022.

“We need to get the pitching shored up a little bit. It would sure help to get Verlander back," Crane said. "He’s hopeful, so we’ll see. But you never know with these elbows. It could be a slight tear. It could be a strain. But if he had to have Tommy John, and I don’t think that’s anywhere near clear yet, he wouldn’t be back until 2022.

“But if anybody can come back and do this, it’s him.’’

No matter what transpires this year, playoffs or no playoffs, Crane said, there will be no going back.

There are no plans to rebuild again. Those 111-loss seasons are over. And, as much acclaim as they received for being the smartest team in baseball for taking a dreadful team to the mountaintop, they really had no choice.

“People say we tanked,’’ Crane said. “We didn’t tank. When I bought the team, the revenue was way down. It was losing a lot of money, and the players we had under contract weren’t any good. So what do you do? You can’t throw more money at it and fix it.

“We did what we had to do to get to the next stage, and it worked out. I mean, was it genius? I think some of it were smart moves. Some of it was necessitated because finances were so bad. Our TV deal went bankrupt.

“But as the team started getting better, we started getting people in the ballpark. Our revenues went up, so we could afford to spend more. It just makes sense. You can’t spend more than you're making or you’re going to run into problems. Look at the Mets.’’

Bigearz likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dammit Crane, if your fire shots, fire shots at the other New York team.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Well at this rate of COVID shutting down games, Verlander being out a month may mean out for season.

12. donkeypunch

13. Nook

Nook Member

So ... right now.... no Cole, no Verlander... no Urquidy... no Osuna, no Harris... no Smith... no Peacock..

No Alvarez... no Chirinos.... no Marisnick

No WS... no division title... no playoffs...

14. donkeypunch

Looking like all whammies in 2020

Rock Block, BigM and Nook like this.
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You know what is next. Key players are going to start fleeing the team in free agency for greener pastures not muddied with the cheating label. The good old days are over. This is the beginning of the end.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Well some of the young arms look really promising. If Urquidy and Javier are real, the window blows back open.

17. msn

msn Member

If they do, F them. Stain our franchise with that crap that they didn't need, and then take off when they came handle the heat THEY created, and leave us with nothing? I'd hate them more than the Oilers.

18. msn

msn Member

*can't [damn mobile]

raining threes likes this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Good positivity. Lol. I thought I was negative.

20. raining threes

If the infield stays together and they can re-sign, say Brantley then I think the team will be very good for a while. Add in young guys like Alvarez and Tucker and the future is bright.

The young arms have been impressive but they may need to trade for a SP1 if JV's done.

I just wish Luhnow was here to make the calls.