1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Home To First Drive Threw Strip Club

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dayop, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Dayop

Dayop Member

https://www.chron.com/local/article...ter-with-that-burger-15423217.php?cmpid=hpctp

f you're a fan of exotic dancers and eating in your car then Vivid Gentleman's Club is probably your kind of pandemic paradise. The struggling Houston-based strip club now has a drive-thru.

Yup, it’s Burger King, only there’s dancing involved.

Black metal barricades separate the dancers from the cars, and dollar bills litter the asphalt between the white siding of the tent walls. The purplish-blue lighting casts a familiar (to club-goers) ambience over the scene, but obvious reminders of the pandemic remain; some of the performers are in face masks.

This might seem like a gimmick but it’s serious business. Ever since Gov. Abbot issued an executive order directing all bars and restaurants to shut down way back in March, hundreds of thousands of bartenders, servers and entertainers have been out of work, including the staff at Vivid Gentlemen’s Club.

While restaurants are now allowed to operate at 50 percent capacity and bars are still currently shut down with the option of to-go sales, strip clubs fall in a gray area between bars and restaurants, depending on the business. In an effort dedicated to supporting their staff, Vivid Gentlemen’s Club decided to take their shot at the drive-thru experience by becoming Texas’ first drive-thru strip club.

I’m assuming every red-blooded American is familiar with the drive-thru experience: you order your food, you wait in a line, you receive said food and you move on with your life. Vivid has managed to replicate this experience… with a few notable differences.

The menu is definitely recognizable to anyone that has visited a strip club — nachos, burgers, chicken sandwiches, jalapeno poppers, all the usual suspects. There is an “authentic Italian” pizza that is “handmade in Italy,” according to the menu. Alcohol also makes an appearance, and customers can pick from six-packs of beer all the way up to entire bottles of Fireball.

Of course, the only way through this drive-thru is via the giant popup white tent, which resembles the tents where COVID-19 tests are conducted.

Once inside the tent, every car has a two-song limit so “you’re able to get some live entertainment” while your food is being prepared, according to general manager Gino DiLollo.

The “live entertainment” are masked and unmasked performers dancing from behind steel barricades.

The concept is not entirely original. The Lucky Devil Lounge in Portland was the first to implement the drive-thru. But it is still a risky way to throw a lifeline to employees in an industry some may not consider at the moment, or look down on.

“We racked the numbers and thought ‘should we do it?’ and realized that IF we do it, we’re doing it for the entertainers, the staff and employees”, explains DiLollo, “Because to keep us open, we just can’t do the numbers. We’re not making any money. This is purely for the staff.”

Right now, Vivid is the only strip club in Texas offering a drive-thru. All other strip clubs either have staff furloughed or are simply not able to offer contracts to the entertainers.

“It has definitely put a different perspective on my work field,” Jada, an entertainer at the club, says. “Luckily with the club being open I’m still able to come into work and get money and take care of my bills.”

From the beginning, DiLollo and the company have maintained that this is what makes Vivid an essential business.

“Here’s the thing, I think we’re essential to the people we employ here to support their kids and whatnot. They rely on us, this is how they make a living. I do think we’re essential,” DiLollo explains.

Jada adds, “I definitely think it’s essential. Everybody needs entertainment, everybody needs their hair done, everyone needs something. And I feel like this is where that comes into play. And we’re doing a good job of keeping it within the limits of what we can do.”

But just how long will a drive-thru strip club even be necessary? Without a timeline on how long the pandemic will continue, a drive-thru just might be an inevitable addition for all strip clubs.

In other words, in order for strip clubs like Vivid to stay in operation, it seems they will either need to adjust to and expand the drive-thru concept or potentially change the way they operate business entirely.

One option is for clubs to begin functioning more like a restaurant, something Vivid is already exploring in keeping up with their roll-with-the-punches attitude.

“We’re trying to get a restaurant license so we can open up as a restaurant and then we’re able to have people in here," DiLollo said. "Instead of operating more like a bar, we would operate more like a restaurant. We’re trying to adapt to the times and whatever cards we’re being dealt.”

tinman likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

please support your local businesses yalls!

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ima hit up tha drive threw.

4. KingCheetah

*Yawls

Jontro likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The title hurts my eyes

tmoney1101, Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Sounds like someone from Baltimore.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I just threw up in my mouth

tmoney1101 and KingCheetah like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

At least this isn't completely depressing.

tmoney1101, Nook and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

this is like one of those articles on wait wait don't tell me where caller has to guess the correct one...

10. KingCheetah

Did you read threw the entire article?

AroundTheWorld, Kim and B-Bob like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

From what one enterprising conservative poster on this site told me, the cost of sex for money has plummeted in the Houston area because of strip club closures. Some of these girls will act as live in concubines for a roof over there head a three squares a day.

So your best bet may be to troll outside VIVID until closing time and scoop up some girls in your white van with the promise of food and running water.

Jontro likes this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

BREAKING NEWS: Harden leaves NBA bubble due to...uh...an urgent family matter.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I dunno. Everything about this picture is pretty depressing, to me. NSFW article picture.

[​IMG]

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Drive threw pickup food.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be Seattle or Portland
    Be Houston about it!
    @Reeko @Os Trigonum

Jontro likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

No Pole

17. KingCheetah

He's there... @Pole

Jontro likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Portland was the first place to try the "drive threw food and strippers" business model, a couple of months ago.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

they threw food at strippers? I thought they want dollar bills

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Is it like the Whitesnake video?

B-Bob, tinman and KingCheetah like this.