1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Fantasma Negro

My main point about reopening schools is the education achievement gap that is growing everyday since we closed schools early. I don't count internet classes because my kids were the only ones showing up for those virtual classes. A lot of kids living in poor areas don't have access to internet and we're woefully failing them. I ransacked Amazon educational books and have class with my kids everyday but how many parents have the time for that? A lot of kids have earned their Netflix degrees during this extended summer because their parents are preoccupied with earning a living for the household. My kids got their prerequisites lol. But do you understand the strain that will put on teachers? My first real job was teaching, it made me fully aware of the unskilled labor workforce in America. A lot of these kids were already below grade level. This may be shocking for some of you to hear but there are some high school students that cannot read. Cannot do basic arithmetic. Cannot find American cities on a map. By remaining closed we accept a substandard education for our children. Substandard education puts out substandard individuals into the workforce to be professionals in society. This isn't about today its about tomorrow. We are willfully breeding a generation of retail workers and chik a fila chain gang members. These people are essential, and they sometimes **** your order up into you getting extra waffle fries, we do need these people. But when I was in school I remember my teachers telling me to reach for the stars. We are lowering the bar on education, that will benefit absolutely no one in the long run. Ten years from now this gap in educational achievement will be represented in society in the worst ways. Whatever it takes, whatever side your on you must understand we must reopen.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Not a very good analogy, SamFisher.

It's getting a little too "Bridge & Tunnel crowd" in here for me.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I've never allowed anybody save @bigtexxx to enter my yacht club in Conroe - you have to be a member or invited by one.

@bigtexxx

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You can’t fix stupid.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Says the individual that started the thread praising an overly racist person that is the worst president in American history.

Here’s an overly racist tweet from said president:

#2665 DVauthrin, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

owned by facts..

We will let you play still doggy woof woof here boy

Reeko, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

And like I said, I agree we should reopen. But the our president/republican mindset literally has no plan, no mask mandate, no extra funding, nothing to protect the teachers or the citizens. It literally feels like they are saying, OPEN UP and live with the consequences. A good analogy, is kicking u out of a burning building without a safety net and say good luck.

Reopening are inconsistent, mask mandates are inconsistent, no fundings, no plan. Forcing a reopen is just gonna make things even shttier.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. As horrible as it may be to lag behind in school by virtual teaching, it's not as bad as people risking their lives or the lives of their loved ones. You can catch up eventually, but you can't bring your loved ones back from the grave. I myself can't take the risk teaching anymore because I can't risk infecting a loved one at high risk in my household.

It sucks, because I worked hard to earn my Master's degree in Special Education and to get certified to teach in Texas after retiring from the military. Special Ed is a hands on job, with close contact necessary each and every day. My risk of getting the virus is much higher, and as much as I love helping these kids, I can't take a chance infecting my mother. It's not a risk I could live with if I passed the virus to her.

People act like everyone prefers to simply not work, without knowing their stories. To me, the hardest part is not working. I love my job, and worked hard to be given the chance at a new career. My family's health will always come first though, so as long as there is risk and no proven vaccine, I don't really have a choice but to stay home. It's hard for someone like me who has worked since the age of 16.

#2668 deb4rockets, Jul 24, 2020
    Reeko, BmwM3, malakas and 2 others like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

And i agree with your comment also. I want to reopen, but with literally no strats, I rather we just stay closed especially education related. What's the point of reopening getting teachers and kids sick/dead/spread covid just to reclose once more. Until we have a unified strat to protect everyone with proper funding, reopening is dumb as fk.

Having each state have their own strategy to handle this pandemic was stupid as fk. Imagine letting each school decide is even dumber.

10. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

Actually using historical data makes your point even further. If anything, we are going to find that the numbers are underreported once people started looking at historical death trends more meticulously in the future.

an article from early july
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...-official-tally-studies-suggest/#13423b3e1d76

A study published Wednesday by researchers at Yale University found that the number of deaths due to any cause in the U.S. from March 1 through May 30 were about 122,300 higher than the same period a year ago, which is 28% higher than the number of reported deaths from Covid-19.

another article from late may...
    https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...navirus-could-be-even-more-deadly/5245237002/
    local paper with a paywall, parent company usatoday...here are some of the main points from the article people put up on reddit.

Kentucky has had 913 more pneumonia deaths than usual since Feb 1, suggesting COVID has killed many more than official death toll of 391. Similar unaccounted for spike in pneumonia deaths in surrounding states

“Pneumonia kills about 50,000 people each year in the U.S., according to the CDC.
    This year, at least 89,555 deaths have been attributed nationwide to pneumonia between February and mid-May.
    It tends to follow a typical flu season, coming on in December and peaking in January and February before declining in March to April.
    But preliminary CDC data from this year show pneumonia deaths steadily climbed in March to peak in April, mirroring the trend line for deaths linked to the coronavirus outbreak.

Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:
    Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
    Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
    Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
    Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
    Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
    West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”

#2670 wompwomp, Jul 24, 2020
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm trying, but some just won't stop responding despite my best efforts to politely help them out in a manner some other members may find mildly amusing.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Newsom is safe-ish because he didn't force municipalities or "bend them to his will" like Republican governors did with cities and counties.

Socal really ****ed it up with 75% of the reported cases in-state. I bet some people secretly wished they didn't send death threats to public health officials just so they could get their beach times in. But judging by the street traffic, probably not...

One step forward two step back. Is that the same math in months?

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The strategy is to let Moscow b**** to add provisions to protect employers from health related lawsuits as a result of opening up without proper safety protocols in place.

You going back to work=your choice=your damn fault for getting sick

And we wonder why people have rioted on the streets...

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's not only that, think about what stopped us from having a proper lockdown in the 1st place. Then add in that half of the country's health insurance is employer-provided. This is economic warfare.

The reason we didn't lock down, hundreds of thousands are dying awful deaths alone, millions are going to have long term organ damage, health insurance is a wildly inefficient, ineffective privatized employer controlled junk system that is leaving tens of millions uninsured and underinsured instead of being a universal single-payer system, is simply because it's unacceptable to **** the money up for the wealthy in America.

We need to fight, we need to demand so much better than this dog ****.

17. KingCheetah

You've been treating me very unfairly recently -- am I detecting racial bias against the tanned?

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Unfairly? I said you'd offer your haus and cheetah documentaries to the dying?

What a compliment of your character! If you ask me.

I got mad love for you KC, sometimes it's healthy for the troller to be trolled

But no I am legit jealous you live in a civilized country, still happy for you though. Do you have Cheetah family in the states or are you legit from the land of schnitzel?

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

FYI 'Haus' is considered a nasty slur depending on it's use.

RayRay10 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol bull ****. I've seen a lot of passivhaus videos.

RayRay10 and KingCheetah like this.