1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What divides us won’t be along race, it will be based on beliefs as evidenced

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Jul 23, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

You are my hero too KC but lay off poking at Tennessee-

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. ROXRAN

Demit I take it back now - WTF is that pic ? Haha

3. ROXRAN

I’m just going by the eye test but what I said stands whether it’s anecdotal or not , js tbh- perception is sometimes reality - in 2019 depending on whose figures you rely on state between 8 and 13 unarmed blacks were killed by police - these numbers are so drastically low compared to encounters so it suggests there isn’t a crisis but you hear from people that say well I had been stopped for no reason or harassed by cops when maybe cops stop for other reasons than color - heck I got stopped for no reason - I’m half white too so js - sometimes anecedotal reasoning has merit beyond the surveys

#103 ROXRAN, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sorry broseph, but Tennessee pokes itself.

jiggyfly and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@ROXRAN is a staunch 2A supporter and liberal.

don’t @ me.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dacuhda when he sees this thread at 3 am tonight

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, Andre0087, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Funny guy.

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

My dad had a .303 SMLE from his service days and some of the original issue rounds and they fired just fine after 30 years.
    I think he said some were cordite?

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have half a case of 1938 dated Nazi ammo complete with Swasticas on it that shoots just fine. It would be kind of poetic to shoot Nazis with actual Nazi ammo.

As long as it was stored in reasonably decent conditions it lasts forever. There are YouTube videos of people shooting ammo made well before 1900.

Almost all of that old ammo uses corrosive primers, though, so it is important to clean your gun after using it, much more so than new ammo.

B@ffled and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Oh **** no, bro.

Washers. Bocce. Horseshoes. Darts. Bags.

Astrodome and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/07/an-orwellian-nightmare-for-pollsters.php

AN ORWELLIAN NIGHTMARE FOR POLLSTERS
    In a post earlier today, Steve discussed a poll that finds 62 percent of Americans saying they have political opinions they are afraid to share out of fear of giving offense or losing their jobs. This finding raises potential problems for pollsters.

I say “potential” because we don’t know whether, or to what extent, the fear of expressing political opinions extends to conversations with pollsters. No one risks losing a job by telling a pollster he or she intends to vote for a particular candidate. Nor is it likely that anywhere close to 62 percent of the public worries about giving offense to a pollster. Finally, the fact that people have some views they are afraid to express doesn’t mean that they are afraid honestly to say whom they intend to vote for.

It is likely, though, that some members of the public are reluctant to be honest with pollsters about how they intend to vote. Indeed, there is speculation that some people who planned to vote for Donald Trump in 2016 did not state this intention when polled.

Any such reluctance has likely increased in the past four years, given the “cancel culture” and other efforts to demonize and ostracize conservatives. In fact, the poll finds an increase in fear of expression since 2017, though the greatest increase was found among “strong liberals.”

Between members of the public who don’t want to talk to pollsters, or whom pollsters can’t reach, and members who may be reluctant to talk honestly to them, we may need to take polls of the presidential race, at a minimum, with more grains of salt than usual.

Astrodome likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"THE QUADRUPLE THREAT TO AMERICA TODAY":

https://radicalclassicalliberals.com/2020/07/23/the-quadruple-threat-to-america-today/

excerpts:

The first threat is straightforward. We might call it xenophobia or extreme in-group bias. It manifests in multiple ways, especially racism, sexism, anti-immigrant biases, and anti-semitism. This may seem to be largely confined to those on the so-called “right,” but it applies to many on the left as well. . . .

The second threat is the economy, as we fail to institute a reasonable response to the COVID-19 pandemic and as we face the repercussions of widespread use of collateralized loan obligations (see this Barron’s piece and this piece in The Atlantic), much as the 2008 recession was at least partly caused by widespread use of collateralized debt obligations. . . .

The third threat is authoritarianism, partially with a populist demagogue. We now have a president who is likely more of a demagogue than any president since Andrew Jackson. Of course, he was enabled by changes to the office and the workings of the federal government over the last several decades. The expansion of presidential powers under the past several presidents—Republican and Democrat alike—enabled what we have now. The populism is perhaps as dangerous as anything else—promising voters bread and circuses is always worrisome. Those voters are often not well informed about how government works or about science. . . . As already indicated, though, this is not an issue for the current Republican party alone. Presidents Clinton and Obama also expanded their powers while in office. And even now, we see scary authoritarianism from the left, when local authorities claim to have knowledge about what is necessary to prevent further spread of COVID-19 and claim that such knowledge justifies them forcing people to live under house arrest (see this piece about a couple in Kentucky) for refusing to sign a paper saying they would not self-quarantine (whether or not they would self-quarantine). Neither left nor right is blameless and neither seems to recognize that their actions are as scary (at least to their opponents) as those of the other side are (at least to them). . . .

The fourth threat is related to my last post. Its a dangerous lack of commitment to there being anything that is objectively true and to seeking such. Its not just our president that seems to lack any commitment to truth. Our culture is riddled with people who claim their beliefs form “their truth” which may be different from “your truth” or “my truth” but that must be treated as if of equal value. Never mind that there really are experts out there in all sorts of areas. Some believe their views of morality are as valuable as those of academics who spend their lives working out intricate details of moral theories and defending those theories against all manner of objection—though they themselves never subject their own views to criticism. (Why should they, when their view is “true to them,” whatever that means?) No wonder people now consider their views about disease transmission (and curing) as valuable as the CDC’s or Dr. Fauci’s. Or who consider their view of other countries as valuable as people who have actually travelled to or lived in those countries. Or who think their views of politics and economics as valuable as academic political scientists and economists who have been studying these things for decades? Admittedly, insisting that there is objective truth might sometimes sound dogmatic to those who feel insulted when faced with any intellectual opposition—as if insisting that a proposition is true entails rejecting any objection or evidence to the contrary, which it decidedly does not. Giving any belief its due can be considerably difficult. As Schumpter said, “To realise the relative validity of one’s convictions and yet stand for them unflinchingly, is what distinguishes a civilized man from a barbarian.” We must remain open to the possibility that we are mistaken even when we are convinced we are not—that is what genuine commitment to truth and truth seeking entails.
    more at the link

Rashmon likes this.
  16. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

What do you mean? We won the first one. Check your history books. Republicans 1-0 in civil wars to date.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why do current Republicans then worship the enemy?

I don't see any Barack fans with Confederate flags attached to their lifted trucks.

18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

They seem to start from ideology of hate and oppression. I'll defend the U.S.A. if it comes down to it. Hell, I'll even back your succession plan to create your utopian CHAZ/CHOP or whatever.

19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

You're not making any sense to me. All I read from your post is an attempt to divide. Have you fallen victim to the MSMDNC rhetoric? You won't catch me spewing anything inciting a civil war. That **** is coming from the left. Unfortunately, we'll probably have to listen to it for another 4 more years after Trump wins and I guess that's the price I'll have to pay for standing by freedom and equality.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I always wanted to understand the mind of someone who dedicated so much time from their lives to post insincere troll remarks online. I find this worthwhile to me because it's an avenue were I can express my sincere thoughts on important subjects and it's a good way to organize my thoughts and understand differing view points.

But what is your motivation to invest so much time I something you aren't doing in good faith? I just don't see the opportunity cost in it. Maybe you do but man explain it to me.

The only way to justify investing so much time in insincere troll posts is that you are training to be some sort of proffesional comedian.