1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russia Paid Bounties to Murder US Troops, Trump Lets Them

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jun 26, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

NATO is outdated bro. It's based on old alliances and countries that dont exist anymore. We aren't having a nuclear war with The Soviet Union

When I was in high school they still tested the nuclear weapon sirens downtown. Maybe we should keep doing that also

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just keep spouting ignorance. I don't really even need to spend a second debating this nonsense.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

You need to get your **** together.

This is not going well for you.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've been right about this story being bullshit. I remember your lecture about that also

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

There are posters on here who are clearly trolls and just looking for attention.

Then there are the dumb asses. Idiots that really don't know much about anything.

I'll let you figure out which type you're arguing with right now.

RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Lecture? Nah.

Carry on, this is embarrassing for you.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

NATO's specific purpose was to step the spread of communism. Are you worried about the spread of communism?

Trump is right all we do is spend money in those treaties. What purpose does NATO serve us in 2020?

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When Russia invaded Ukraine and Georgia NATO was really effective

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Trolling is entering threads to criticize other posters and add nothing

Everyone thought I was trolling when I doubted the thread topic day one. Guess who was right about that

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Just because you’re ignorant, uneducated, and wrong doesn’t mean someone needs to “add to the conversation”

I’m not saying that is you.

China and Russia are no threat at all. Screw Denmark and Iceland. Let’s make the world into Russia and China’s image.

See what I did there? Probably not.

11. Buck Turgidson

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those aren't NATO members but if anything those show the continued need for NATO. Russia has for decades made threatening moves on the Estonia and the other Baltic states yet hasn't done anything like what they did in Ukraine largely because Estonia is a NATO member.

Also NATO was involved in Afghanistan as the US invoked the NATO charter following 911,

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also just to add NATO is one of the institutions that has likely kept Greece and Turkey from actually going to war multiple times.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

NATO has a specific role of defending against the USSR. If there was no NATO there still would have been effort to keep these countries from going to war

In regards to your other that's kind of the point. Rusdia if it had a "reason " to attack the UK or Germany isn't deterred by NATO. Its deterred by the senseless of attacking either country.in a situation where Russia has an opportunity NATO is irrelevant

No one is arguing that NATO wasn't relevant 50 years ago, its irrelevant now

Edit: NATO isn't the reason the countries have not gone to war. They are NATO members but NAtO isn't the reason tensions haven't escalated

Greece still feels they are being provoked

#776 pgabriel, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

NATO came about because of the threat of the USSR but it's specific role isn't defending against the USSR. It's specific purpose is for common defense be that from the USSR or from Al Qaeda, which is why it was invoked following 911. Also there has been talk of invoking NATO if the Syrian war spilled over into Turkey.

Also NATO in recent years has deterred Russia from interfering in the Baltic states.

When NATO was first negotiated it was also with the understanding that tying countries that had been antagonist during and before the WWII would be a good way of keeping peace in Europe. Turkey and Greece are the most obvious as they've had many disputes regarding Cyprus and situations where both militaries have faced off. Because they cooperate on NATO gives them a format to work out differences. This is even more important considering that Turkey isn't a member of the EU.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@rocketsjudoka

I appreciate you taking my thoughts on NATO seriously. Others reacted like my thoughts are ridiculous but the point is the world is completely different in regards to the USSR

The cold war has been over for 30 years. There were was a real Cold War. It almost led to WWIII with Kennedy and The Bay of Pigs. Its over

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What....NATO was invoked after 9/11 to support the United States. It's not just a USSR treaty. Yes it's mostly symbolic of an alliance that SHOULD exist one way or another regardless of the piece of paper that says we are friends, but the financial relationship with infrastructure creates a system that takes it beyond symbolism, and understanding. It's also designed where a leader can't just come in and immediately pull from the alliance on a whim. Marine Le Pen was a great example of someone that the post WW2 alliance was afraid of coming into power in a country like France, and immediately turning the alliance upside down in a strategically vulnerable country in Europe. The system was built to make sure EUROPE was stabilized.

Where the post WW2 alliances didn't see the vulnerability is in the notion that this type of leader would be coming from the United States which is the one country with the power to overturn the alliance on its head overnight. A country like France cannot do this, but the US can given how the legal process for withdrawl is conducted.

If NATO was to fall, it would have a devastating affect of nations re-creating alliances, and the country I would be most concerned about would actually be Turkey right now in 2020. I would also be very concerned about what would happen in Israel. If there is a third world war, it's likely going to be focused on that region of the middle east. If NATO falls, and new alliances form with United States no longer being involved, it would surely set off a whirlwind of chaos in the middle east with Israel being sitting ducks.

It's just obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Russia is a player in the world that is a bad actor but they are far from the only interested party. The United States is key in holding the INFRASTRUCTURE of the post WW2 Alliance in Europe that holds stability not just in Europe but also the Middle East and parts of Asia.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

NATO wasn't needed in Afghanistan. It's nice they helped but the countries who sent troops there would have anyway regardless of NATO.

Russia's interest in Ukraine is economic. They want to ship natural gas along pipelines through Ukraine. They aren't looking to regain Baltic states for the greatness of Mother Russia