1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Not sure. we are still talking about masks

Jontro likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

COVID19 accounts for less than half of the excess deaths in Florida in a very short period of time.

There is no question that Florida is undercounting deaths from COVID19 and everyone knows who is behind it and why he is doing it.

Between Jan 1 and June 30 Florida has approximately 8,700 excess deaths. The state of Florida only counted 3,650 dead from COVID19. That is a ratio that is not believable by many of the doctors studying the topic.

FWIW Texas (as of weeks ago when I looked) also had a very high similar imbalance.

States are undercounting the number of deaths by 19-28% when I last went through it all...... Florida and Texas are at a far higher percentage.
    It is also been supported by research.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

This, and it is dangerous to the extent that some are stating herd immunity like it is a given reality with COVID19 and we do not know that.

Some people are having a hard time accepting the reality that COVID19 is a virus and it doesn't rationalize.. people need to adapt to the virus, not the other way around.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Good information!

Thanks for passing along info from the actual scientists instead of the authorities.

When I read information from actual scientists, I feel much better about it all.

Authorities, even if they are Doctors with lots of degrees, still approach it from a political slant.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Apparently HAIR LOSS might be a long term symptom? Shietttttt. Shut the country down NOW. Take my job, not my hair.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

there is a cure for baldness. It's called money

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah but based on this case study the side effect of hair treatment is becoming a douche.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The Texas imbalance is almost identical to California when I had checked it last.

Where are you seeing 8,700 excess deaths for Florida? I'm looking at the data directly from the CDC and their excess death calculations are much more conservative depending on which threshold you use. They are at 1096-4079 excess deaths for 2020.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Also, I adjusted the date ranges to yours as close as possible because it is done by weeks. Also you can't use the data up to June 30 because the reporting isn't sufficient for 2020.

1/5/2019-6/15/2019 there were 99,878 deaths
    1/4/2020-6/13/2020 there were 105,657 deaths

That give you a total increase in deaths of 5,779 from 2019 to 2020 over that same time period.

Remember you have to add in excess deaths from non-covid medical issues to these numbers. That data is at the link provided as well. For some reason this aspect almost NEVER gets talked about. Florida, has seen about equal numbers of covid deaths to non-covid deaths from other health issues.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The diagnosis of non-covid deaths are part of the problem. From year to year there is a fairly stable range of deaths in a state.

Between January to June 30, Florida reported 8,671 excess "deaths", that’s more than double the 3,650 deaths the state attributed to COVID-19.

The issue is how many of those excess deaths are COVID related and how many are not....... the position of Florida is that 3,650 of those deaths are COVID related and the rest are not...... that is where the argument arises.

Also, I agree that California's percentages are similar to Texas. That does not mean that California hasn't under reported as well. There are strong incentives to minimize the death tolls.

There have even been academic studies done and research papers concluding that the USA as a whole is under reporting deaths, with some states worse than other. Texas, FL and California were some of the chief culprits.

Florida is also under scrutiny due to the claims of the person that worked with the data in Florida that was told to under report for tourism reasons (assuming you believe her).

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Last night, Dr Sanjay Gupta, CNN's excellent medical expert and a practicing surgeon, made an interesting comment about this. While saying we simply don't have sufficient data about the virus and herd immunity, while antibodies may not be present in the quantity expected from those who had and then recovered from Covid-19, there is another way having had it and then recovered might help prevent getting it again. Dr Gupta said, and I paraphrase, that the body can "remember" it's reaction to a danger. He is that what might happen is that when the virus "attacks" the body of a Covid-19 survivor, that body might begin to produce those antibodies again in sufficient quantities to defeat it. Yet another in a long list of possibilities.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Excuse you.

That's X AE A-12's dad you're talking about. Show some respect.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you for sharing this. I'd seen other articles suggesting T cells may be the main key to a successful immune respond to this virus. I do think it fits well with the other things you've posted over the last couple of pages, about some geographic areas not having flare-ups after their initial scary waves.

(@Deckard I think Gupta was probably talking about these T cells as the immune memory.)

robbie380 likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Just to make something clear..the concept of Herd Immunity on its own is not in doubt..it has worked in our recent history.
    The concept of herd immunity through infections of this virus is what is controversial.
    When we get the vaccine we will get herd immunity too..the proper way.

I dont want to be pendatic but herd immunity on its own is not controversial or contested and it is done through vaccines.

Pringles and robbie380 like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

Aren't you that douche who works at Lifetime anyways?

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No, lulz, what?

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

Work out* LOL

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think I see a couple spots where we are having miscommunication.

1. Can you tell me where you are getting the excess death number you are talking about for Florida? It is much higher than the CDC numbers.

2. I agree it's certainly possible that deaths are being under reported or maybe miscategorized, but I haven't seen much of that in the data. I hate going in circles with this because I've said this before, but I added up the numbers again since there is more data out now and the increase in deaths from 2019 to 2020 from the beginning of the year until June 20 was 6,265. On June 20 there was 3,237 reported covid deaths in Florida. I have to ballpark it but back on June 20 there was about 3700ish excess non covid deaths from these causes listed above (Alzheimers/dementia, heart disease, diabetes, etc). These numbers combined are pretty close to that 6,265 number. Further, there is a problem with alzheimers/dementia patients giving up and dying due to not being able to see their loved ones.

I hope this explains what I'm seeing from my point of view.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is literally his greatest accomplishment -- SpaceX tech plugs.

20. Asian Sensation

That thumb :eek:

AroundTheWorld, arkoe and KingCheetah like this.