1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

F1 racing...8000 tested with not one covid. Put that into the category of bull shiot.

STR8Thugg and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The entire rest of the first world did it.

Everyone....... except the country with the most money and most resources, the USA.

The complete failure of the current Presidential administration is the largest factor.

arkoe, Xenon, Andre0087 and 5 others like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

No - the biggest problem is that one chunk of our authorities are telling people not to listen to the other authorities and the health professionals. It's not that Americans don't care - it's that they are being actively told by leadership that it's all a hoax, not to wear masks, etc.

arkoe, Andre0087, FrontRunner and 7 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

He wants a vaccine before the election.........

The problem is that it needs to be properly tested to ensure the side effects are understood...... my concern is that will not happen.

The lack of proper vetting can lead to people having adverse side effects and then questioning all vaccines...... which will cause a health crisis.

At that point, I would be the **** out of Dodge in Western Europe having lunch with @AroundTheWorld

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The administration delegated to state governments on most matters which is fine by me. Some state governments did a poor job, and that is unfortunate. However, it doesn't matter what is implemented policy wise if people decide not to follow it.

Yes people are stubborn and ignorant in other countries too, but I put the blame on the American people more than administrations. Health professionals and most state leaders have been recommending masks since the start of the outbreak, and a lot of people completely ignored that.

I don't understand acting like the entire rest of the world is good to go, no issues. First of all that's not true, and secondly Europe and Asia were effected by the outbreak months before the U.S. If anything it just seems like we are a few months behind them (and if people don't start taking it seriously, it will be even worse come fall - especially when the seasonal flu starts to wreak havoc).

6. STR8Thugg

I am not aware of anyone of note calling the coronavirus a hoax. Maybe Brazil's president? There has been conflicting information, but even Faucie the freaking head epidemiologist has flip-flopped on things. There was and remains a lot of information we don't know or fully understand.

Early on it was downplayed, which wasn't an isolated situation for just U.S. leaders. I realize there are plenty of people that are just going to blame leadership no matter what because it fits their agenda, so that's fine. I won't argue anymore on that point because it is useless.

Bottom Line: b****ing about administration isn't going to fix anything. People need to wake up and start applying safe practices to curb the spread. If we aren't able to do that it will just continue to get worse until we have a vaccine.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

See this is where I am starting to disagree. Trump is president due to support of a subset of Americans who are anti-mask but he did not create them. These are the same people who think there is conspiracy targeting conservatives despite often times contradictory and disprovable evidences. See Jade Helm, vaccines, Comet Pizza and secret society of pedophiles, Clinton’s killing people, etc. If Trump said wear a mask from the start, they would just not support him. They wouldn’t suddenly listen to dear leader.

Phillyrocket and STR8Thugg like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The USA has arguably the best scientists in the world, many of them born outside the USA and moved here. The USA has the most global and economic power in the world and the most resources. Contrary to what some are claiming the USA also has a generally well educated public.

The issue is and has been federal leadership. The President of the USA has purposely attempted to spread confusion and discord for political reasons. He has passed the ball to the states when he decided COVID was not politically beneficial for him. The states are all over the board as a result. There is an absolute lack of top leadership and that is the largest reason the USA is having the issues it has.

TheFreak, arkoe, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Completely disagree. Had he said months back to wear a mask, that it was our duty as Americans and that it would get us back to work quicker, you'd have an entire section of those voters who would do it because he said so. They choose what to believe or not believe based on what he signals. Similar to how they like people he appoints until he says they shouldn't any longer...then they're part of the liberal deep state.

Hell, the secret society of pedophiles thing exists because they believe Trump is signalling to it through Q! He says it himself...he could walk into Times Square and shoot someone, and his support wouldn't drop. It's cult like at this point.

TheFreak, Nook, FrontRunner and 5 others like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

I think this is an unfair characterization based on extreme examples, but I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole so I'll leave it at that.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They're the examples he cited in the post I was responding to.

Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

If we had told the necks months ago that if they wear masks they'll get to watch college football this year....

13. STR8Thugg

My bad, I missed the qualifier in your post that said "a section of his voters."

14. malakas

malakas Member

There are ways. You hire a team of PR and media analysts or whatever and you put this in terms that makes this minority to comply.
    Propaganda like it is used now for every elections.
    Make mask wearing an act of patriotism, defiance against China communists or whatever tinfoilers could believe.

For those who still fail to comply there is the law.

You cant just expect the scientists to say something and the population to follow automatically.
    Who does that? Sweden? And thats about it.

Everywhere else patriotism and fear was used and governments spent MILLIONS in propaganda and media campaigns.
    The Uk was channeling WW2 and Churchill for example.
    Macron in France was saying this is WAR and we are under attack.

I am certain America could find many ways to reign in the crazies if there was a will.

Nook likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, on that last bit there are slightly differing opinions within the EU if that is working so well in Greece :p.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

17. malakas

malakas Member

Thats why I put it in there.
    Except from avoiding crimes of violence against others, there are many laws that force you to do things you dont like and dont see any immediate benefits.
    If there is law for taxes why is it so preposterous for americans to have emergency laws for mask wearing?
    Taking away your hard won money is more freedom than making you wear a piece of cloth to prevent actual deaths?

Some people here are acting like everyone else likes masks and only americans are different.:rolleyes:

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s a hoax that will be gone by Easter.

Liberate the economy!

MadMax and malakas like this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

"Makes breathing more difficult" is usually not the argument that 'anti-maskers' make when they try to reason why they don't wear masks. Also, seat belts make sitting in a car seat more uncomfortable, yet people do it because it's been proven to lower the risk of catastrophe. And it only protects you. Wearing a mask protects both you and other people.

You know what makes breathing exponentially more difficult than wearing a face mask, though? Actually contracting the virus.

You can always breathe through your mouth if just breathing through your nose is difficult. And if your glasses are fogging up, the integrity of the seal on the top of the mask might not be great, which partially defeats the purpose of wearing a mask in the first place.

Not singling you out for your post or trying to be a smart ass, but I personally cannot see the pros of not wearing a face mask at this point in time.

TheFreak, arkoe and FrontRunner like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.