1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

We need to just find the next train wreck of a company and go all-in!!! Haha, and the time we do..... Unfortunately with my luck lately That's when the RH traders will disappear and it'll fail.

I think the new gamblers have really changed things though - I mean good/bad it's made it a lot different than anything I would have predicted. I need to just go opposite of anything logical - "oh bad debt, and going out of business??? That's perfect!!"

Haha, I'm definitely not serious about doing that, but I wouldn't have minded some of these plays for the profit...

2. adoo

adoo Member

yip, it has enabled me to trade full time from home, stop working for a pay check

my background is in acctg / finance. i look at stock investing thru the prism of fundamental analysis. that is my core.

trading options requires more precise timing, in terms of entry and exit. these are on co that i have already done fundies.
    i need tools to take advantage / anticipate the trading momentum, and profit off it. that's where the TA comes in handy

the dizzying height of ignorance

for the education of the ignorant one

the candle stick charting system was invented by Japanese commodity traders specifically
    to track/gauge fear, greed, hesitation, panic

btw, fundamental analysis does not account for fear, greed, stupidity, pancie​

question for the ignorant one,

how do you know if the trend is about to reverse ?
    fundamental analysis alone would not help you on that.

there are several TA tools that can help you on that

• doji, hiramis, parabolic SARs, etc.​

#10642 adoo, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Dang someones triggered. I will just go back to my corner and hold onto my shares of MSFT.

Carry on boomer, you make that money!

P.S. Do you use a typewriter to post on the forum? Never seen someone tab over so many times.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On a side note, I do appreciate @adoo posting his thoughts/analysis of things. Like I think any tips/analysis/plans are all valuable as it might allow you to see something missed and keep learning, personally when I've gotten lazy or think I know enough in the market is when I've done poorly.

Anyway, I've seen people make money using all kinds of methods (old and new style) and then even crazy unconventional methods... And if it works for you - do it.

saitou likes this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Right. Don't get me wrong, I do use some of the basic indicators like RSI/MACD/Bollinger Bands etc but I can't imagine using it a vacuum and only trading on indicators. Ultimately, if you could truly predict the future with these indicators, then you could just program an algorithm, and there would be no market.
    And how much of it is just luck...and being at the right place at the right time?

and @adoo, you need ignorant people like me to steal money from bro! we can't all be smart like you!

NotInMyHouse and CCity Zero like this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

actually, the market will just move faster.

did you read my post confiding that my winning % is less than 50, yet still manage to be profitable ?

cos i have been able to let my winners run, as guided by the TA tools in my tool box

CCity Zero and Ubiquitin like this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

I did. Technicals didn't help the other 50%?

8. adoo

adoo Member

you just don't get it; it's about generating profit

you can be right and yet lose $

and you can be wrong and yet make $

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, from watching people trade, I've seen "experts" fail and "trading dumbasses" succeed. Some of it is luck, some of it is hard work, and some of it is skill. It doesn't matter what method they use. They all fail and succeed. Nobody has discovered the magic formula because there really isn't one. There are people that say up to 60%-80% of all stock price movement is algorithmic/machine trading anyway, so you're battling computers if you trade daily. Well, you're battling whoever wrote those algorithms anyway.

CCity Zero, Sajan and davidio840 like this.
  10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

You’ll be on the moon dancing by end of next week!

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Yep. MM is a real thing. Just ask Sabby

CCity Zero, Sajan and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. adoo

adoo Member

yet another eg of ur poor reading comprehension

how did you arrived at that ? i readily admit that my winning % is less than 50.

once again, u just don't get it. it is all about sharing info / idea towards making $ on trades.

do yourself a huge favor, put me on ignore

#10652 adoo, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Haha. On a serious note, I've worked with them a bit on a bankruptcy where they were the appointed liquidator, so I've some understanding of their biz. I'm optimistic about their prospects :)

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Anyone here vested in BABA? Any idea why it's been under performing its peers by so much despite being an analyst darling? The 6 month chart looks even worse. Was considering buying when it lists in HK, but am starting to have 2nd thoughts; long term are there big issues to be concerned about?

[​IMG]

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

That's all I was trying to say. All this charting and drawings and indicators....and someone on the other side is doing that...then some algorithm is reacting to that.....then you react to that with more drawings.....then algo adjusts.

Some people think they have figured it out with technicals. Some people think it's an art. Others think it's luck.
    If any method was 100% right, we would all be rich.

Some think stock market is gambling and stupid and real estate is where's at.

Got to stay humble brothers! At the end of the day it's money. Can be gone in a sec. Health and happiness is more important.
    When you get too smart for your own good, you start calling people ignorant...or how they have poor reading reading comprehension. No need for all that. We are all Rockets fans.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Devil's advocate - if the majority reacts the same way to the same momentum indicators, then it becomes self fulfilling and therefore useful to know.

I'm actually quite skeptical of TA myself, but am keeping an open mind, trying to learn from others here who are more experienced - definitely appreciate ppl that stick their neck out and share what they are doing. Most of my buys are medium to long term based on news/reports, and a bit of SPACulation based on rumours, but if TA can help better time my entry/exit on trades I would have done anyway, then it's worth learning.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Not yet bust, dragging it out.
    https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/314808/000031480820000131/a8k-forbearanceagreeme.htm

Closed my puts ytd at break even. Good chance that it still goes bankrupt this month, but wanted to preserve my theta.

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’ve luckily been right most of the time. My problem is the not holding on to winners long enough.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

a 5-yr view of IBB's trading pattern depcited by the Japanese Candle Sticks charting system.
    it is coming out of a ~ 5-yr base, and has broken the all-time high established 5-yr ago
    "the longer the horizontal base, w no resistance in sight,the higher the vertical space"

[​IMG]

a 9-mo view, depicting a 2-mo long consolidating base before taking out the previous all time high established 5 yrs ago

[​IMG]

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Did you get in? Acquisition announced today. Strategic investors Ford, Baidu, Inc., Nikon Corporation and Hyundai Mobis, will retain an equity interest of more than 80% in the combined company.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...raded-lidar-technology-company-301087621.html

CCity Zero likes this.