1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Not stand shoulder to shoulder in a concentrated, high density fashion. All social distancing and mask wearing precautions were thrown by the wayside during the protests. Either protest safely within the context of a global pandemic, or don't protest at all. It's not a coincidence this happened about 14 days ago and now cases are spiking. How many of those protesting self-quarantined afterwards? No, they likely spread out and caused rapid infection.

But I'm not only blaming the protests. I saw patio bars packed to the gills with people last weekend. Overall, common sense is not prevailing and yes, the protests are part of it.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hindsight is 20/20 and Fauci is not perfect (by any means), but I think he was just doing the best with the information that was available to him, at the time.

In that last link you posted about malls, movies and gyms being fine to visit, he did state that mindsets need to change if there's a disease progression. And back on 2/29, it wasn't looking like it was going to be such a serious and scary thing.

Again, not absolving Fauci of blame, but...I dunno. I feel like most other health experts would have echoed Fauci.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

People aren't even keen on the idea of wearing a cloth mask for 5 minutes in a quick grocery run - you think they're going to listen to advice about how they should sequester themselves for 2 whole weeks?

That's putting too much faith into people.

TexasTofu likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, it looks like we are heading toward if not already, exponential growth. The Gov need to relax his restriction of local gov from enforcing what's needed to reduce the spread - stay-at-home or whatever. This one side cap for all is asking for hotspots to spill over to non-hotspots. Got to act much faster. Essentially, Harris has moved from being somewhat proactive to now reactive... and we don't want to stay reactive too long here. We want to get ahead and slow down this spread.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can then say mandating face masks wouldn't have mattered either bc a lot of people are saying well why didn't they do this earlier. that's also considered putting too much faith in people.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

CA re-opening: stage 2 was 5/8 (retail & dine-in reopen). Stage 3 was 6/12 (movie theater, gyms). Cases are going up but not as bad as TX.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't say it was as bad. that doesn't matter. i clearly said record highs which they are absolutely experiencing.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

context is they are increasing testing and so you have to also look at % positive (which IS creeping up)

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

everywhere is increasing testing

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

not everywhere

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

when record daily tests are happening that comes with increased testing

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Protests could not have helped, but interesting enough, early data said no to little impact. That live experiment isn't something I would have ran, but it happen and the lesson learn there could be quite valuable - outdoor + mask + little physical distancing = still safe. If that hold, re-open accordingly with that data.

ElPigto and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You said "everywhere" not nationwide. Some places are not running more test. For example, Hawaii has not increased testing for the month of June and Washington has actually decreased number of testing slightly since mid June. Some of that is likely because they have a decline in cases.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i should have thought of hawaii. big mistake

15. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I attended two protests in LA this month, one with about 1K people and the other with 100K people. In both cases, 99.8% of the people had a mask on and in the larger protest, they had volunteers giving away masks, which was super cool. I got tested 1 week after my last protest and came up negative. So I do believe it is quite possible that the LA protests caused minimal spread of Covid19 given the high adoption rate of wearing masks and the fact people were outdoors with fresh air.

Amiga likes this.
  16. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

It will be interesting if this study passes peer review. Regardless they should map the genome of this sample to see how it matches up with the strains that came out of Wuhan.

Spanish virologists have found traces of the novel coronavirus in a sample of Barcelona waste water collected in March 2019, nine months before the COVID-19 disease was identified in China, the University of Barcelona said on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-science-idUSKBN23X2HQ?

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The CDC put out a piece yesterday (link below) that said we could have 20 million or more cases in the US - almost 10x what the test results have diagnosed. My current thoughts:
    1. The virus is FAR less deadly than has been reported. The recovery rate is very high.
    2. New positive tests do not signify that the virus is spreading. It just reveals some of who has the virus currently. Many more who have the virus don't know it yet, and many who have already had it did not know they had it.
    3. This is a disease of the elderly and unhealthy - THOSE are the people who need to be quarantined off from society. Closing bars is stupid, because these people rarely go to bars. Quarantining the healthy is similarly stupid because that will have negative and avoidable health and economic effects on all.
    4. We need to not be afraid to DISCRIMINATE (ugly word, but proper in this context) in how we solve this problem. Target the people who need help and protect them. Had that been done in NY, NJ, PA, CT - then all these nursing home deaths wouldn't have occurred - 40% of total deaths in the US have been in nursing homes.
    5. Keeping a disease scoreboard is scaring everyone into thinking they are going to die of everything. This really hasn't been done before and is creating a fear that is disproportionate to the risk to most people.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-latest-news-06-25-2020-11593070962

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'd love to hear the "early data" that confirms little to no impact.

Which means it tracks 70k people and where they were and what they did before protests even began. Whether any of these people were already covid positive and asymptomatic. then gather together shoulder to shoulder, yell/scream, many with no masks for hours and hours. Then where and what they did after these protests stopped. All the people and things they've come/been in contact with. All the respiratory particles exerted in that time span

#8478 YOLO, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Awesome interactive tool, you can click on it and select whatever countries you'd like to compare, thanks for posting man.

AroundTheWorld likes this.