1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID Restaurant Closings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, May 26, 2020.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Random question. Who do you talk to if you work in a restaurant where they know staff have it and just ignore it?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Health department

3. Buck Turgidson

Nice. I may hit you up at some point for a lunch or something. Dude's gone from chef to management to pimping out kitchens to equipment sales to...coronavirus pretty much put the kaybosh on that, so he's currently unemployed and I have no idea what he has planned.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’d be happy to. Through my connections with people in supply and working food shows for the last 8 years I know people in many of the industries that work with restaurants. There’s a ton of cool jobs out there outside of the restaurants themselves.

Hit me up and we can grab some Gilhooleys oysters.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've been hearing really good things about Just GRK.

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/alison-cook-s-burger-friday-just-grk-in-west-15303127

6. Buck Turgidson

Used to live about 2 blocks behind Niko Nikos. I miss that place.

Nook likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who did he work in equipment sales for? I’m on that side of the industry, too.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Pappadeux richmond had struggled for a long time. The introduction of sunday brunch created some buzz and was a bit of a gimmick if you look at pappas normal approach. This was a long time coming for that location.
    Pappamia and many of the concepts never really took. Yia yia qualifies as well. Weird spot never really took. I ate there a few times and knew then years ago it wasnt going to happen ..surprised it lasted so long.
    The i45 pappas seafood is also bad location and that location hurting for a long time. that was obvious.
    I wonder what the pappasitos airtex will do.

Haha i laugh at the one company " texas pos" and cant help but call it "texas piece of sh**it" ...funny part is brian the owner and the other brian of the guy that runs texas crs happen to conveniently be pieces of sh**it

Nook likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Your best bet to get people to take notice immediately would be an anonymous post to the local Reddit and/or contacting a news station.

Nook likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm 2 blocks from Yia Yia Mary's. Hopefully it turns into a Niko's.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

NCR bought back Texas POS and CRS was purchased by Capstone and is now called Hungerrush.

12. Buck Turgidson

Ace Mart in South Austin

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting yeah its been a few years.

Seeing various pos aloha deals and the pricing was pretty high compared to even micros. Medium tier spots like taqueria arandas were jumping on just for the aloha name perhaps. Way higher. Seems baffling when could go with guys like crs. Of course crs wanted the processing.

Its ever changing as you seem to note.

It seems like the good money is in credit card processing vs. Pos?
    I didnt pursue it as a business but being a processor and gimmicking merchants into pos or some kind if software seemed to be the easier route then the way of micros and ncr. Perhaps you can say otherwise. The crs guys were giving stuff away.
    Ever evolving as you note just curious why a place like arandas would drop such a big extra and still use a high priced ncr affiliate for processing? And its a wonder why some restaurants fail. Again probably I am missing something here.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Nearly every company will require you to use their processing now, or pay a gateway fee.

some companies (Toast for example) give you low cost to free hardware and burn you on the backend. Companies like toast/Harbortouch don’t even give you a guarantee on how long they’ll honor the proposed rate they give you at signing.

Others will go competitive on the rates but hold their cost on the hardware. Many don’t even sell the hardware anymore, they work like a Comcast subscription hardware/software included.

As far as going out of business.... the extra 10-15 cents per transaction you are paying isn’t the reason. It’s not knowing how to price your menu, control costs, theft, or not having enough business.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Last time I went to the Little Pappas Seafood House I thought it was Pappadeaux. If it wasn't the same menu it was really close.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

At Pappasitos:

Me- I’ll take chicken fajitas
    Server- would you like to add delicious grilled shrimp for only 3.99?
    Me- No thanks, just chicken thanks.
    Server- how about some yummy crispy Baja fish tacos with that?
    Me- uh..no thanks, I’m good.
    Server - how about we start you off with some grilled salmon salad?
    Me- No...just some queso to go with the chips, thanks. What do you have on tap to drink?
    Server- I’m glad you asked, we have pickled fermented herring or if you want something stronger, five year aged squid ink!
    Me- Uh...lets go to Taco Cabana instead, guys.

arkoe likes this.
  17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

How does square compare?

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I hear you I was referring to cost of aloha specifically. ..the hardware and setup etc especially front end costs. And compared to what the texas crs guys were doing where just wanted processing..and at same rate anyway and all the gear and etc was cheap af compared to. Total cost of ownership way different. An expense i dont get separate of 3 cent fees

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Low cost to get started, not terrible processing (2.6+ 10 cents I believe). The new hardware is sexy but the software is very basic, and every add on will cost you.

it just depends what the restaurant needs.

I’m always happy to chat in messenger for any questions. Even on general restaurant tech questions outside of my products. I’m a restaurant industry dork.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Restaurants are copy cats. They open and the restaurant that inspired them to open or their friends restaurant uses aloha... they call Aloha.

#140 CCorn, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020