1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

narrator: “it wasn’t real...”

fallenphoenix likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Trevor doesn’t have the clout to act this unhinged. At least Musk accomplished a thing or two before going off the rocker. “Set an example”? Bro you are a nobody.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

When I see people like it makes me laugh. You go around in every thread in every section posting your negative bullshit, because your life lacks any real meaning. People like you are old school and washed up and need to go home. If anyone in this thread thinks for a second that this troll gives two ****s about anyone making money you clearly don't know this r****d. People like you are so filled with hatred it makes me sick. Lol @ calling me a tough guy. I'd knock your teeth out. You're a fkin loser.

USCR, Latam, USL have all had huge gains since I posted. If anyone would have taken the latam short they would've been up 6x by now. I'd happily bet you that I have made over 6 digits in the past 3 months. You do now that just the USL call i posted on here is up 20k since I posted right? I'll DM a mod my results if you agree if I'm right then you'll refrain from posting from the boards? If I'm wrong I'll never post again on here.

4. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Just look at the green in your portfolio and chill haha, no need to get personal or prove anything, not worth getting worked up. Always good to hear both sides of every trade :)

tierre_brown likes this.
  5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yeah, for SPACs without details of the acquisition I wouldn't pay over $11 for the underlying. If the spac dissolves without acquisition we're only getting back $10 (or even less if they've made bad investments, I think mfac NAV is $9 atm).

#10445 saitou, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What are people’s thoughts on here for SPCE? Ignoring the potential of losing all of your money. It seems like a fun stock to own. Who doesn’t want to root for a company to have commercial space flight over time?? In 20 years the world may look a bit different than now ya know

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've never looked at it seriously, but it was also a SPAC that popped huge. I think it was one of the first times I had heard about SPACs, but I never owned it. I think it went 4x or 5x in a short period, but man, did it fall off. It's one of those stocks that I'd love to own but when will it make any actual money? Last I remember reading a couple of months ago, they weren't as well-funded as the other players. They had enough money to last them a couple of years, and if they required more money, they'd probably do it by doling out more shares and diluting existing owners. They seem to want to be in a lot of things, but I guess I'm not seeing a ton of progression compared to SpaceEx, for example, so I don't know. In 20 years the world may look different, but in 5, this company may be gone -- I can't tell. lol. I don't really follow them too much anymore, so if anybody else has ideas, share. Maybe I should look more into it, but I'm looking for more solid picks right now.

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Spce isn't a spacex competitor, their competitor will be blue origin for space tourism. There's a chance for a literal pop when Branson is supposed to fly later this year. I think fundamentals won't matter for awhile cos it's in such a unique niche, but it's high risk, last I check they had 2 planes with plans to expand to 5. If just one of them blows up, that would set them back quite a bit.

9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Any of you'll look into netease or played their games? @adoo ?

Was thinking of buying some on hkex, looks like a solid fcf machine with proven record (listed since 2000 on NASDAQ)

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

If your scam alert isn’t going off I dunno what to tell you. Paying people to drum up reservations, and your reservation is a raffle ticket to win a truck? So tacky.

Not to mention the specs on this truck is highly suspect, if not completely faked. They are touting a 600 mile range by combining a 300 mile battery and 300 mile fuel cell. As far as I know the highest density battery is from Tesla and fuel cell from I think Toyota, limiting factor for both is weight. You wanna put both together in one truck? With also four motors? That’s not going to be a f150 size vehicle it is going to be a monster truck or mars rover. I’m not even sure Trevor has thought this through since he has no technical background. Came up with a truck drawing to post at Elon after the cybertruck unveil, and now seems to be just making up specs to go with it and using scummy marketing tactics to drum up reservations for long enough to justify their market cap, before he can dump his shares.

I’ve never seen a ceo talk so much about his stock, the ticker symbol is plastered on Nikola’s official twitter page. Meanwhile people complain about Elon talking about his stock when he’s trying to talk it down by saying it’s too high. :roll eyes:

#10450 CXbby, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Uprising likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

I would have put SPCE in the same boat as NKLA if not for the tremendous respect I have for Chamath. Both are partly trading on their order backlog, but at least SPCE has more of a chance to realize those orders. NKLA used to have you put down money for their semi reservations. But after the Tesla semi unveil they all a sudden refunded everyone their reservations and made it a $0 commitment. Read into that how you want but to me clearly they were about to get cancellations so instead they made it free.

SPCE valuation is riding on the growing institutional interest in investing in space, and they are one of the only pure plays publicly traded if you don’t wanna count BA. It’s really uncertain how big the terminal space tourism TAM is. I can’t imagine people would want to experience it more than once, and those who can afford it is extremely limited to begin with. I think SPCE knows this which is why their long term Hail Mary goal is to use the technical learnings from these launches to develop a hypersonic jet that can get people from NY to Tokyo in two hours. That sounds great except it doesn’t exist and seems like a pie in the sky project to justify their value (need blue sky markets way out in the future for investors to look forward to).

If you are really that interested in investing in space, just go to the source that is innovating and drumming up all the interest in the first place - Spacex. Assuming you are an accredited investor you can look them up on Equityzen or any of the other private equity dealers. $500k minimum initial investment, and the transaction fee is insane. 10% of your money to get in, another 10% on all your profits when/if they ipo, and 1% each year for the first 5 years. But at least you would actually be investing in one of the most exciting companies out there right now instead of space companies trading on >50% hype.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

don't they just do suborbit flights?

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yes. Took Spacex 20 years to get humans into orbit. SPCE is just making a carnival ride that doesn’t have any actual practical uses.

#10453 CXbby, Jun 18, 2020
    fallenphoenix likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

no, but i am in this Singapored-based, w Chinese angel investors, co.

it is a combination of Amazon and online gaming targeting the SE Asia region, in particular Indonesia and Malaysia; been following it since late 2019, when it was trading in the high 30s. it had risen to the mid 50s, then when that doji candlestick was sitting on the 200 MA in the low 40s, i jumped in, constructing a LEAP calendar spread, w the 60 strike call.

so far i've had to roll forward the front leg several times; the calendar spread has morphed into a 60/105 CALL vertical spread.
    the back leg, 2021 Jan 60 CALL, has more than tripled, i still get to roll forward the front f leg to higher strike several more time;
    the premium from the next roll forward will effectively make the back leg a "no-cost" CALL option

[​IMG]

ever heard of cutting your losses quick and letting your winners run.

tbh, as it relates to stocks/options, i've been wrong more than right. BUT I LET MY WINNERS RUN.

been at it since turn of the century, i've been profitable, albeit w a winning % of less than 50

#10454 adoo, Jun 18, 2020
    Sajan and saitou like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I read an article from ARKK invest saying that in general their business platform was to get the price eventually down to 10000-15000$ and get people that are flying private and 1st class back and forth for example nyc to Tokyo in 2 hours. Seems logical I just don’t if that sounds profitable for a long time though. There should be more and more millionaires all the time though.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SMG@131 - Ganja play

17. adoo

adoo Member

MACD crossover, where the MACD histogram reaches above zero, anyone ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I'm a chart noob, how do you decide on the interval length for your moving averages? I see some charts using 9vs21; and other 12 vs 26 day?

19. adoo

adoo Member

it really doesn't matter; the MACD is used to gauge near-term momentum move

the MACD calculates the MA for the past 9 days, that's the signal / slow line.
    it then takes the derivative of the 9 dma, it is the fast line.

the histogram nomalizes the slow line to be zero, a crossover above zero indicates a strong near-term momentum move,
    depicting the fast line diverging away from the slow line

saitou likes this.
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

ah ok, from the chart I thought you were using 20 vs 50 moving average to see the crossover; i understand the concept but the ideal moving average periods for comparison seems a bit arbitrary to me.