1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

It is gambling, but I think worth a swing for those with hype potential if you can get in close to $10 - price should go up on news/rumors of acquisition, and if the spac dissolves without acquisition you still get back $10 yeah?

Any idea who the target is for mfac?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

None that I've been able to find out as of a week or so ago. Of course, if it had been known and the name were a relatively well-known name, the stock probably would've rocketed.

Bill Ackman/Pershing Square is apparently working on a monster SPAC IPO with rumors saying it'll be in the $1 billion range. Big name betting big bucks on some company should generate some interest. His last SPAC-related monster was bringing Burger King public about 10 years ago. Here you go : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...is-said-to-plan-blank-check-ipo?sref=nibRvXrt

saitou likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dow futures surge amid report that Trump is preparing $1 trillion infrastructure proposal

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

Citing people familiar with the plan, Bloomberg reported the Trump administration is drawing up a $1 trillion infrastructure proposal. The report said a preliminary version being prepared would set aside majority of the money for traditional infrastructure such as roads and bridges, though funds would also be reserved for 5G wireless infrastructure and rural broadband.

Kim likes this.
  5. Asian Sensation

I was excited when I bought shares and this clip confirms why. I think prices will sky rocket after the unveiling/reservation numbers are released. Gonna try to buy more here in the next couple days.

Side note that guys like the same age as me. Wtf am I doing with my life?

Kim likes this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Be extremely careful with NKLA. This is one of the biggest bubble stocks I've seen in my life. No real product, no real sales until two years from now and Trevor has no technical background whatsoever to push this forward. Guy is a snake oil salesman if I ever saw one. At $3b market cap it would be a gamble on a business plan. At $30b market cap it's insanity. A big part of the run up is people feeling like they missed out on Tsla and they are looking for the next one. Problem is Tsla itself would have been bankrupt 10 times over if not for Elon dragging it kicking and screaming through the mud, and cult like brand support - nkla has neither.

Starting a brand new car company is extremely hard, hasn't been successfully done for 70 years before Tesla. Starting a battery electric car company is extremely hard, squared. Because you are starting from scratch on most of the cost curves, that's why the first Teslas cost $100k, but they upsold it to rich hippies as "luxury" cars until they could get costs down for mass production. In nkla’s case, starting a commercial battery car company is impossible, because you don't have the luxury to upsell your costs, commercial vehicles are all about the economics.

With that said, nkla is trading on a ton of hopium and if robinhooders can pump already bankrupt companies to unimaginable heights why not fake companies that haven't even gone bankrupt yet. There's excess liquidity splashing around, and nkla has a 600% borrow rate for shorting, if you are trading it who knows how high they can squeeze this thing. But if you are an investor, please understand what you are getting into - $30b market cap which is greater than Ford, going up on no products for sale except CAD models they posted on Twitter, with no real path to success, run by a guy that has expertise in...nothing.

#10386 CXbby, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    davidio840, Sajan, CCity Zero and 5 others like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Just read a couple pages back. "Fomo in nkla"? Just reading that hurts my heart. What are you afraid of missing out on? That it will go to $100b with no product or revenue? Why not buy some tsla if you have fomo? Even at $1000, $180b market cap seems like a ******* steal if you got $30b companies that are just a shell.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Are yall making big money in all this? Looks like i need to get in on this too...

9. astros123

astros123 Member

Just like I thought would happen with his Infrasture bill and what stocks are pumping. All American infrasture players are pumping and you could've easily made 2x on USCR. Man these stocks are going to pump like madness and I cant wait.

Its funny that scum like @Senator disappear as soon as they are proven to be a fraud and he tries spewing his bullshit. According to you the Riggs were going to come back roaring when prices stabilized? Hey dumbassm we're at a 15 year low and prices have been above 30 for over a month.

Oh yeah, Azul also is showing that they are coming out on top of the South American Airlines rac and have done a nice 3x since I posted. This has been the most profitable 3 months of my trading life. If it wasn't for your trolling and encouragement I don't think I would've done it. Thanks, bruh for being the troll-like you always are @Senator

saitou, CCity Zero, Kim and 1 other person like this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

don't fight the trend. this good old reliable appears to heading for a new high again

[​IMG]

whag00, noscrusir, Kim and 1 other person like this.
  11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Powell putting the kibosh on the market as per usual...

12. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

FOMO was on not making the trade pre conversion to NKLA
    ZERO FOMO at anything near these valuation (I actually looked at shorting/puts but as you said too expensive).

Way more FOMO on TSLA - I've had one since 2014 and loved but I could never get the risk/reward level comfort out of me. Too much of a valuation geek (obviously valuing cashflows is more difficult on high growth companies than mid growth) to pull the trigger (same with Netflix).

CXbby likes this.
  13. adoo

adoo Member

last wk, in sympathy to the whole market,SBUX had 3 consecutive down days, got as low as 72.5.
    [​IMG]
    i bought back the front leg, Aug 80 call and sold july 78 CALL

bto Aug 80 strike CALL
    sto Jul 21 79 strike CALL, which netted a credit of $0.35

effectively, making the back leg of this LEAP spread, a no-cost CALL option.

what started out as a $75 strike call calendar spread in March 2020, has morphed into this vertical spread

+ 2021 JAN 75 strike CALL (no cost, after collected monthly premiums)
    - 2020 Jul 79 strike CALL​

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Nice predictions all round, I took your advice and made some money on USCR but they got taken off me on covered calls last month. What I've learned this year - (1) keep an open mind to trade ideas from others, do your own research, and if they make sense, place your bets accordingly. (2) Diversify and make multiple smaller bets in different things. You're not going to be right all the time, but you won't get wiped out in 1 bad decision, and if you can be right 70% of the time over the long run you can still make a lot.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Anyone jumping into RPRX? It's a good company from what I gather and will have dividends so seems like a good long stock. It started trading well above the IPO in the last hour or so. Looks to be pretty stagnant. It has been a tough year for IPO's but this one looks to be the most promising. I think I will see how it plays out over the next few hours before putting some long funds into it. Just so skeptical with IPO's lol

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This sums up some of the aspects pretty well.

davidio840 likes this.
  17. adoo

adoo Member

could this be the catalyst
    that ibb needs to pop from the 1 mo + long consolidation ?

[​IMG]

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

God bless you guys if you bought into the spac before the speculative fervor, great chance to take advantage of hype. Tbh I wouldn’t like this stock/company even at $3b due to the reasons I gave, and also just Trevor being way too promotional for my tastes with no technical backing of it. I’m not even sure what his background is supposed to be, his wiki is one of the saddest I’ve seen. Too bad with options premiums through the roof and borrow rates making betting against the stock impossible - the market knows exactly where the stock will be going, that’s why it’s so expensive to bet on it, it’s guaranteed money.

With Tesla for years it was trading on the dream of TAM and future products (model 3 at the time) as well. But major difference was that they had a history of delivering great products (roadster, s and x), with unmatched brand loyalty, and Elon at that point already had a laundry list of accomplishments (paypal, spacex) and friends in high places in case he got in trouble(Larry Page, Larry Ellison, Peter Thiel, you name it).

I think last year Tesla finally crossed the financial chasm, reaching the scale to flip to cash flow positive, and trading less on what the future could bring (although there’s still plenty of that) and more on what’s there now.
    The metric to follow is ebitda, using that as a benchmark they are valued similarly to most of the high growth names when comparing price/ebitda.

davidio840 likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

FWIW I was posting in this thread four years ago about why Tesla will be one of the best investments for the next 10 years and this was when they had the highest short interest(total) in stock market history and the media was trying to tear it down every chance they got(they don’t get any ad dollars from Tesla). And I stand by that for the next 10 years. The only difference is that 4 years ago it was great risk, with great potential return. Today much of that risk is in the rear view mirror. (Hello Moody’s where is the upgrade?!)

peleincubus likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I view it as independent/mutually exclusive to a certain extent. Dexamethasone has been around since the 50's and 60's and is cheap. It's also still not a vaccine, but a treatment like Remdesavir. The IBB is somewhat concentrated among about 5 or 6 stocks, but among them are Gilead, Regeneron, etc. Moderna is probably among the 2 or 3 companies "in the lead" for coming up with a vaccine right now and they're only something like 2% component of the IBB.

Biotech/pharma is so crazy in a normal year, it's difficult to follow for me. It's almost like "throw a dart and hope it hits" or "throw 100 darts because one of them could hit" picking some of those individual stocks. IBB would be the way I'd play it if I'm playing the sector, though. I was in Gilead for a while for the Remdesavir pop, but never got on the Moderna ride. I think I'm going to stay out of the individual stocks in the COVID run simply because if anybody finds a vaccine, I would think they won't be charging out the wazoo for it, or as in the case of Gilead/Remdesavir, may give the initial doses away cheaply or free.