1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is someone hospitalized considered severely ill? If we had not shut down the way we did would hospitalizations have not gone up?

2. Major

Major Member

If you take out the NY/NJ spike, the first wave isn't even slowing down.

[​IMG]

Nook, Deckard and Jontro like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

Also, the world's cases per day graph, doing the same thing. It hasn't slowed down at all. It's been rising since day one. And we are all connected.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

The problem with the logic is that a car accident is an accident, there's no predator hunting you down in traffic. Corona is a predator. It will find you and try to kill you. You wouldn't drive if you knew there were secret packs of drivers just sent out each day with intent to kill people. One sniper has shut down entire cities. And if the virus doesn't do that, kill you, the second problem with the logic is that you can't pass a car accident onto your child, your grandmother, or others. But yes, you can pass the virus on to others and it will kill them. So two fundamentally different mechanics at work.

#7964 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Let's say his findings are shredded once they're peer reviewed. That would mean Covid-19 is potentially 10x flu's fatality or something, just much more than Stanford man claims. Are the age buckets still the same? Meaning the fatality numbers we've been seeing by age group on all the stat tracking websites - do they still hold? Is it still like 0.2% for those under 50 or 40?

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So I checked the excess death data again and it seems like we moved above the excess death threshold from last week. I haven't followed these numbers a ton because they are slow moving numbers and can take weeks to finalize. Currently we are under the excess death threshold for the week ending May 30.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Something interesting to note that I haven't seen discussed much is the extreme spike in Alzheimer's and dementia deaths during covid. I only discovered this by looking at the excess death data and seeing the excess causes of death. In the US there have been 13,846 excess Alzheimer's/dementia deaths since Feb 1. It seems that the vast majority of those have come after April 1.

There have been excess deaths from other causes, but those seem to be back into normal ranges. Heart disease is the 2nd highest total in the excess death by cause at 12,704 excess deaths. That gets broken down to hypertensive diseases (7,616 excess deaths) and ischemic heart disease (5,088 excess deaths). This is mostly from a major spike in April that seems to mostly be controlled now.

If you want to look for yourself scroll down to the select a dashboard and click the "tota number above average by cause" and then click update dashboard. You can scroll thru the states as well.

Specifically, Texas has been especially hard hit by excess cancer deaths (1,050) and excess Alzheimer/dementia deaths (1,092 excess deaths) since Feb 1.

[​IMG]
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...mentia-deaths-beyond-infections-research-says

Extra 10,000 dementia deaths in England and Wales in April

The data, from the Office for National Statistics, reveals that, beyond deaths directly linked to Covid-19, there were 83% more deaths from dementia than usual in April, with charities warning that a reduction in essential medical care and family visits were taking a devastating toll.
    A survey of 128 care homes by Alzheimer’s Society reveals that 79% report that lack of social contact is causing a deterioration in the health and wellbeing of their residents with dementia. Relatives of those with dementia in care homes have spoken of their loved ones feeling confused and abandoned, stopping eating and losing the ability to speak. One man told the charity he was “really fearful my wife won’t recognise me at the end of this”.

A quarter of those who have died with coronavirus have also had dementia, making it the most common pre-existing condition for deaths, along with diabetes. Aside from coronavirus, in April there were a further 9,429 deaths from dementia and Alzheimer’s disease alone in England and 462 in Wales. That number is 83% higher than usual in England, and 54% higher in Wales.

The charity thinks the increased numbers of deaths from dementia are resulting partly from increased cognitive impairment caused by isolation, the reduction in essential care as family carers cannot visit, and the onset of depression as people with dementia do not understand why loved ones are no longer visiting, causing them to lose skills and independence, such as the ability to speak or even stopping eating and drinking.

Another factor may be interruptions to usual health services, with more than three-quarters of care homes reporting that GPs have been reluctant to visit residents.

Gavin Terry, head of policy at Alzheimer’s Society, said that isolation can be devastating as family members and friends often play a crucial role in maintaining the health of people with dementia by bringing them meals, taking them out regularly to exercise and keeping people socially engaged. Withdrawing this support can cause people to rapidly go downhill, he said. “We’re hearing that some people are ‘just giving up’ or ‘switching off’ and not eating or drinking,” he said.

cheke64 likes this.
  7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Generally the mortality by age has been different in each age group. Without looking at the CDC data I believe that for under 18 covid is about 50%-90% less deadly than the flu. Then once you get above 18 it moves up to about 3x-5x more deadly until you hit 65, 75, 85 where it becomes 10x-20x more deadly.

This is off the top of my head and I'd have to find the data again. I'm pretty sure I've posted it here at some point.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I was browsing thru our radiology database and didn't see any chest imaging being ordered. I am limited to select cities. There might possibly be more cases but it's not warranting ER Doctors to order chest imaging which they do when the patient condition calls for it.

9. Major

Major Member

Yeah, this seems like a huge problem. Right now, we're playing whack-a-mole with this thing in various states in the US. But at some point, international flights are going to resume, and then it seems like the virus will be able to come right back. I'm not sure how this ends outside of herd immunity (through everyone getting it or vaccine).

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A vaccine and/or a cure. A "cure" that makes the virus no worse than a bad case of the flu.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

NBA is probably safer than most sports because of the isolation bubble they'll be in, but obviously there is some risk.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Cancer is a co morbidity with covid but also during the shutdown cancer treatment and screening also dropped significantly.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Also, that downturn in US active cases seems to be short lived, however deaths continue to trend lower. It will be interesting to see if this trend holds and if this is related to better treatment and keeping the virus away from nursing homes.

#7974 robbie380, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Outlier and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Made me laugh

B-Bob, Ziggy, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Texas Has Shifted to an “It’s Your Responsibility” Pandemic Plan

Deckard and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I saw multiple restaurants today post that they’ll be closing temporarily because of positive cases.

Yagas & Beerfoot in Galveston. Cafe Piquet in the galleria area. El bolillo bakery On the north side isn’t closing but had a positive case so they had to close for the day.

Going to be interesting.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm tired of this oppression.

Does anybody know any real freedom-loving American restaurants that will stay open regardless if only one or two employees catch the sniffles? Thanks.

conquistador#11 and B-Bob like this.