1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Buck Turgidson, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

So, in theory, would you ever consider it? Where? Why?

I've been thinking more and more about it....Ireland, New Zealand, British Columbia, if Latin America was more stable economically that would be my first choice.

Anyone have any experience? @Nook @AroundTheWorld @others?

eta: shouldabeen posted in the hangout, mi falta

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am originally from Germany, but lived in a few countries for some time - USA, Denmark, Spain, UK. Pros and cons of each place, of course. Depends on circumstances. Would still consider a lot of different places, but it becomes more complicated with a family.

3. Buck Turgidson

That's the thing, I am a bachelor, so I have no encumbrances.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Latin America it is bro.

B-Bob and IBTL like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Colombia? Panama? Chile? Which do you really like and why?

I love Argentina but that country is ****ed up 8 ways from sunday, politically and economically.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

haha that was easy and fairly obvious given the situation.

Once this rona settles the safe money is on brazil..beautiful place lovely ambiance.
    The churrascarias are cheap and ridiculous. Have you ever had meat that just melts?and oh yeah

BUNDAS

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Any of them...I spent a month or so in Argentina and it was amazing...

8. Buck Turgidson

Yep, my favorite country.

New Zealand it is. Got a cousin in Wellington so at least I won't be going in blind.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Will they even let you in right now? They just got rid of Covid...

10. Buck Turgidson

"Invest" and "work", so yeah, allegedly they want me.

Did you get to see any of the country other than Buenos Aires?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Uruguay would be my #1 choice for South America, although I'm biased. Uruguay and Chile are the most stable countries.

Uruguay reminds me a bit of Texas, it's flat / rolling grass lands with sparse trees, they love meat more than just about anything, they love hoses and idolize the gauchos the same texans idolize cowboys ;)

Where it deviates is on the coast the weather is much milder, high 70's/low 80s in summer with roughly the same type of winter you'd experience in south texas. The beaches are good, on par with what you'd get in a place like Wilmington NC. The country is historically progressive, first country in SA to legalize gay rights, the first country in the world to legalize weed, very secular country etc.

That being said is it a shoe-in upgrade over the hill country here in Texas? Not sure, depends on what you value.

Are you retired buck? If not what do you do for a living, and how old are you? Personal, but that's a huge thing when talking about trying to immigrate. NZ doesn't take people over 55 for work, only if you invest a **** load of money (like over a million).

12. Buck Turgidson

Forgot about Uruguay. Montevideo was fun, and the beaches were ludicrous, but I don't like big cities, other than to visit for a week or so (same with NYC, London, etc.) The Pampas outside of BA were really pretty, and very much my speed.

Salta, Mendoza, Bariloche, Mar del Plata are my favorites, I could live in any of them. Iguazu's great to visit but...

And yes, I'm retired. 45 1/2 years old.

RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Only Iguazu and Punta.

Ah yes, and I visited a friend of mine who has a house inside a polo club on the countryside, about an hour from BA. Capilla country club or something like that: http://www.poloargentina.co.uk/location.htm

#13 AroundTheWorld, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm the same as you, the spot I'd choose in Uruguay would be somewhere around Punta Del Este / Maldonado, probably about 10-15 mins inland on some acres.

45 is good that makes NZ a lot more viable then if you where 56, (unless you have a million to invest, at that point it doesn't matter). If you have a skill, whatever work you have previously done. 2 years of work making 80k NZ (52 k USD) for any job. Or 2 years of work making 45K NZ (29k USD) for a job on the shortage list will get in you in the door on a permanent residency.

Entrepenurer visa could be an option, you have to invest a certain amount into your business (over 100k, probably at least 300k for you to meet the points needed)

Investment visa it looks like they increased it to 3 mill invested for at least 4 years.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/move-to-nz

If you able to get over there, hook your boy up I'd love to come with.

Buck Turgidson and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Salta la Linda, Quebrada de Humahuaca
    [​IMG]

Mendoza

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Iguazu
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Bariloche

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know if it's just my computer Buck, but none of those pictures are coming through.

tinman, B-Bob, IBTL and 1 other person like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG] Mar del Plata

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I got stupid. That water was cold as ****.

#18 Buck Turgidson, Jun 11, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

That's a ******* shame, let me know if it's just you or others too.

#19 Buck Turgidson, Jun 11, 2020
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’d personally go with Costa. It’s technically a third world country but I loved living there. It is basically part of America though. They are very reliant on US intervention if let’s say Brazil or China or someone tried to take over the government.

No standing army, policing is much different, but I always felt very safe. The people are super friendly and there’s opportunity galore economically even though it’s a poor country now. In 50 years my bet is it’ll look much different.