1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Variety] Westbrook to produce docuseries about 1921 Tulsa race massacre

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/ru...on-tulsa-race-massacre-docuseries-1234629368/

Russell freakin' Westbrook, ladies and gentleman.

Ramo$e, malakas, kdchilds and 38 others like this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

Russ is a real one.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hooded Justice

4. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Good for WB. He started speaking up against PTOUS and Racist long before this year. Too bad nothing changes and we still have a mad man in office

https://www.normantranscript.com/ok...cle_b6771ee8-a24e-11e7-b9c6-2f12eba0d483.html

"Thunder center Nick Collison said he was disappointed by Trump's comments.

"I think he has an opportunity to try to bring people together," Collison said. "Seems like every time he has a chance, he tries to tear people apart. I don't know if it's for political gain or what, but I think part of being an American, and loving America and loving the country is loving your fellow American and other people that make up this country."

— Russell Westbrook does not appreciate President Donald Trump calling out NFL players who are protesting police brutality by kneeling during the National Anthem.

“Obviously, the things he's saying is outrageous in my opinion,” Westbrook said at Monday’s media day. “It's uncalled for, especially due to all the other things we have going on in the world. You know, the people, the families, the people all across the world that are hurting, that need help, that need guidance from our house. But I think it's unnecessary and uncalled for. I'm definitely not in agreement to anything he says, and I never will be.”

Trump called at a rally in Alabama last week to fire players who kneel for the anthem.

“Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say get that son of a [expletive] off the field right now, out. He's fired. He's fired,” he said. "

He has since doubled down on his opinion, retweeting multiple accounts supporting the thought of standing for the anthem and calling the protest an act of “total disrespect.”

5. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Good for Russ. Events like Tulsa need more awareness around it. Shine a light on everything

B-Bob, dkim1984, airflights92 and 4 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Never liked him on the BBall court, but this, THIS is solid stuff right here.

Way to go Russ !

DD

dkim1984, tycoonchip, edwardc and 3 others like this.
  7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

As a long-time Russ hater, it's hard to deny that Russ was shaping into the form of his career as a Rocket... just wish he and Harden could both play well at the same time. THEN we have something.

... But I digress. Glad to see Russ doing something like this.

B-Bob, ak99999, DaDakota and 4 others like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Russell was already becoming my favourite Rocket, but now he's solidified this and might be my favourite current NBA player! Ow how times have changed.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Watchman.

Proud of the guy.

#9 daywalker02, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    edwardc likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

the Black Wall Street massacre is 1 of the most horrific things you’re ever gonna see

tragedies like this aren’t mentioned in schools, but they are real...they happened

thank u Russ for attempting to bring awareness to this evil act

B-Bob, JamesC, Rock Block and 10 others like this.
  11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Glad to see this being produced. I've always wondered when there would be a major motion picture about this. There was one about Rosewood and I think the Tulsa massacre was worse. It truly deserves a retelling.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I never liked Westbrook. Seemed to be a jerk. I began to realize my opinion about him was wrong not when the trade happened, but how Thunder fans reacted to losing him. The love they showed for him was more than just appreciating his basketball abilities.

oelman44, Deckard and amaru like this.
  13. verse

verse Contributing Member

What happened within the Greenwood District, Tulsa, OK, is a travesty. I hope the ENTIRE truth is put on display, including the domestic terroristic actions by the US government. The NWS was absolutely thriving.

apollo33 and amaru like this.
  14. macan

macan Member

Westbrook for president #Westbrook 2020

edwardc likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hey, stick to sports!

- nobody worth your time

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty impressive that he would take on this story.

Deckard likes this.
  17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

How many of you guys learned this in school? I only read about it in college. Wasn't in a single history book.

Little Bit, Red.Glare and Rock Block like this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I read that incident in a comment thru worldstar and thought it was fake, then I did my own investigation and omg. That's the era Trump wants and his supporters want

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Surprise, surprise. Trump's first mass rally after the COVID-19 pause is in Tulsa. He is going to Tulsa to let his supporters know which side he is on.

FrontRunner likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are at least 3 documentaries about Black Wall Street in the works. Lebron is doing one, somebody else is doing another (sorry, I forget who it was), and then this one with Russ, I guess.

I never had heard the story about Greenwood and Black Wall Street until I watched the video below last year. One of the best lines from this short documentary is "injustice plus time does not equal justice" in reference to just because things are long in the past and nearly forgotten doesn't mean we should take a "whatever" attitude and move on :

AB423, Easy, OkayAyeReloaded and 5 others like this.