1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bruce Lee documentary, " Be Water"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by adoo, Jun 5, 2020.

1. adoo

adoo Member

the documentary will be air on ESPN, this coming Sun, 9 PM est
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/entertainment/be-water-bruce-lee-review/index.html

[​IMG]Kowl
    some factoid about Bruce Lee.

he was born in San Francisco, CA, while his parents, Chinese Opera Singer/Entertainers were touring the USA;
    his father was a HKer, and his mother was 1/2 Chinese, 1/2 German
    he grew up in the Kowloon City neighborhood in Kowloon
    as a teenager, he won the Cha Cha dancing contest in HK

as he gained credit in Hollywood. TV and movies, as a martial artist, he pitched the idea of a TV series "Kung fu",
    while the studios bosses liked the idea, they did not want Bruce Lee to star in it. a non-martial artist, but an Anglo, David Carradine was cast as the main character.

Bruce was pissed,

he left Hollywood for HK, starring in martial art movies w him doing his own stunts.
    ""Enter the Dragon" catapaulted Bruce to international stardom.

#1 adoo, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Yung-T, Jontro and RustyHarden like this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Well, it won't be 30 by 30 if they don't throw somebody under the bus. So will it be;

A) Brad Pitt for kicking the shiot out of Bruce Lee
    B) Bruce Lee for chocking to death a black muslim
    C) Hollywood
    D) Roger Goodell

It's a pick 'em.

tinman likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

no, it'd be the circumstances surrounding Bruce Lee's death at age 32

where did the ambulance pick up Bruce Lee's body

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I read the last Bruce Lee biography, which attributes his death to heat stroke. Apparently he suffered from the same thing a month or so earlier then the one that killed him. Sounds plausible enough, I don’t think there was some kind of conspiracy behind it.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

99ers say chuck norris was a better fighter and his 2 movies better than bruce's 6.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Also RIP Brandon Lee

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Once Upon a Time Not in Hollywood.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is only Pitt' s character beating up a Bruce clone that doesn't totally look like him.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@freemaniam

Bruce Lee proved that Hong Kong made much better movies than Mainland China ever did

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The fight is loosely based on Gene LeBell coming in to check and correct Lee's shenanigans on the set of Green Hornet -- Lee was beating up the stuntmen and being an ass. Studio called Gene to head to the set and get Lee to chill. LaBell put Lee in a headlock and drug him off set -- Bruce chilled out eventually and they became friends. Lee is an interesting man and martial arts icon but it's well known he was often FOS -- the 'one inch punch' is a good example there are many more.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'll watch this over the last dance

12. adoo

adoo Member

i tend to agree w that account.

there was another story about LeBell.

Steven Segal was beating up stuntman, even after cut, way too frequently.
    the 50-something LeBell was hired as a stuntman; in the scene, he was the bad guy fighting Segal.
    after the Director said "cut", Segal continued to throw punches at LeBell,
    who blocked the punches and punched back knocking out Segal out cold.​

arkoe and Yung-T like this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

Same. I grew up with this stuff. I hope it's better than the other countless bruce lee docs. Yall remember that A&E documentary they did in the 90s? That was the best doc they did on him.

14. KingCheetah

A bit more detail and confirmation...
    ________

Gene was initially reluctant to say anything negative about Lee. He has always said that he considered Lee a friend and Lee’s inclusion of some of LeBell’s grappling moves in his films and his book The Tao of Jeet Kune Do would seem to bear that out. But LeBell did eventually put me in touch with karateka Bob Wall, who co-starred with Lee in Enter the Dragon and knew both Lee and LeBell very well.

Wall told me the two men got into some good-natured back and forth on the set of the Green Hornet TV show where Lee co-starred as Kato and LeBell was working as a stunt man, just as Once Upon a Time in Hollywood depicts. Eventually they decided to do some friendly sparring at which point LeBell grabbed Lee and picked him up pressing him overhead. Wall said Lee was angered by this and threatened to do LeBell real harm when he put him down, to which he said LeBell responded, “Then I guess I’ll have to keep you up there a while.”

Returning to Gene with this fresh information, I again tried to drag the details of the incident out of him. To the best of my recollection, he said Wall’s version was more or less what happened.

When I asked him what he did when Lee threatened to hurt him, I seem to recall Gene’s response was “What do you think? I body slammed his scrawny ass. He was a hundred thirty pounds soaking wet. What could he do to me?”

In fairness to Lee, LeBell was around 220 pounds in his prime and was legitimately regarded as perhaps the best grappler in the world at one point winning national judo titles and defeating top 10 light heavyweight boxer Milo Savage in a mixed style bout. As his brother Mike once said to me, “God himself couldn’t have beaten Gene back then.”

So it’s no disgrace to assert that Bruce Lee might have been beaten by a mere movie stuntman. Particularly if that stuntman was Gene LeBell.

https://maworldreport.com/index.php/2019/07/31/the-stuntman-who-really-did-beat-bruce-lee/

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It doesn’t sound like much of a fight, just ****ing around on set. That said any trained grappler with a 70lb weight advantage should beat Bruce Lee’s ass.

Bruce’s strength and speed is well documented from people that have trained with him. A lot of things change when you get hit but he was clearly capable of doing damage. He was ahead of his time with training and nutrition and clearly his methodology was a forerunner to what has become mixed martial arts. I’d guess that if he was in modern times and competed he’d be an awesome fighter at his weight class. We’ll never know how good of a fighter he was but he’s arguably the most important martial artist of all time.

16. KingCheetah

Lee was a close #2 behind JCVD the first champion and inventor of UFC style MMA fighting originally featured in the documentary Blood Sport.

BigM likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

I enjoyed it overall but it was pretty boring for a few long stretches -- seems like they could make a much more compelling doc if they didn't sugar coat everything. It seems like they are still trying to protect Lee's reputation and left out a lot of interesting material that may have portrayed Bruce in an unfavorable light, but leaving great stories to run more family interviews was weak.

6.5/ 10

Supermac34 and TMac'n like this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

They totally skipped his hong kong life, lol.

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. Asian Sensation

It was quite boring. It’s got nothing on Dragon: The Bruce Lee story.

tinman, TMac'n and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

You are completely underselling Ralph Macchio.

Ottomaton, peleincubus, BigM and 2 others like this.