1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will MDA be allowed to coach from the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 5, 2020.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

From what happened in European football leagues, players sitting apart on the bench is all about optics. Logically, it makes no sense. But people will see the illusion of social distancing on the bench while the players are grinding against each other on the court.

2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Harden and snippets from Westbrook make every decision. Doesn't matter who is coach.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i jus gotta believe at some point during the course of this tourney somebody is gonna come up positive - and then the whole thing will get shut down...

I just dont believe theres any way to sequester this many millionaires where there wont be numerous 'breaches to the bubble...' - and its only gonna take 1 person to test positive...

...imo.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fake narrative.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

They are already working on extensive plans to expand rosters to compensate for the inevitable positive tests. Similar things have happened in Germany with Bundesliga.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ng-how-replace-players-due-injury-coronavirus

I don't know how they can be more transparent, they are not going to shut down because of one positive test. You're free to disagree with them, of course, but it's not going to happen.

7. kjayp

Hey I hope they figure some backup plan that everybody can sign off on and be happy with... but with so many people in such close proximity for an extended duration, I just see so many potential pitfalls...
    It isnt like these guys are playing a game and then going their separate ways at the end of it - they're all sequestered in 'the bubble' together - so I gotta believe if somebody turns positive its gonna spread like wildfire - NY style... not to mention 1 guy turns positive, then what are you gonna do? Quarantine his entire team? how about the other team they played the day before? the team they played the day before that?
    Then If all of a sudden half of a certain team gets quarantined or comes up positive... or if a team loses its marquee player(s) (Harden, Bron, etc) ... its all gonna be viewed as a tainted championship anyway...

I hope it all works out - but this is unchartered territory... gotta just hope for the best i guess...

8. kjayp

No disrespect... but yer becoming very valuerlio (or whatever his name is) on the whole MDA thing... and yes, i realize im as fervent on the opposite end of the spectrum... lol

Some of us just view the dude as fools gold who will only take us so far before his negative tendencies (short rotation, stubborness, minute mismanagement, lack of d, etc) ultimately derails our post season...

I realize he's had great reg season #s... and he has many very positive attributes... but imo he wont alter his negative aspects and its time to move on after this year - barring a championship...

Many like to point at GSW and say 'if it wasnt for them...' but we had a year where we got knocked out by and old and Kawhi-less Spurs team... People were questioning MDAs short rotation - to which he replied 'those people dont know what they're talking about' - and then we completely melted down into one of the most embarrassing performances of all time...

its time to move on from this genius...

...imo

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

First off he is no genius and second off you are correct....we must move on. Harden’s window is officially closed as long as MDA is here and it is very important for him to get a title to legitimize his career. Running out of time folks and these gimmicky coaches with smallball $&@“ don’t win titles.

kjayp likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Vlaurelio.

kjayp likes this.
  11. The Cat

They will isolate the affected player while testing the others on a daily basis and allowing them to play on, assuming they test negative. The plans are well documented.

As for the legitimacy of the championship, I personally don't think the Raptors win last year, if not for injuries to Durant and Klay. And I don't think the Warriors win it in 2018, if not for the injury to Chris Paul. Health is a part of the sport. Always has been, always will be.

D-rock, Nook and kjayp like this.
  12. The Cat

Also, it's worth noting that we're not devoid of case studies. If Gobert was symptomatic on Tuesday, March 10 and tested positive on the morning of Wednesday, March 11, the odds are incredibly low that he wasn't shedding virus on Monday night, March 9.

No one on the opposing team he played that night (Toronto) tested positive, and only one of his fellow teammates (Mitchell) did. It seems the virus transmits most effectively with prolonged exposure to an infected person, not just limited bursts for a few seconds at a time.

That's obviously not a scientific case study, but I do think it offers some hope that if/when one player tests positive, it doesn't necessarily mean that anyone he's recently played with or against is automatically going to test positive as well.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

Let’s say the playoffs have started and a superstar player test positive but feel fine and are showing no symptoms. Will they be allowed to play or forced to sit out?

14. kjayp

welp... we'll see how it all plays out... the best laid plans of mice and men and all that... lol
    I just dont want to see the situation devolve where teams are playing with scrubs instead of their stars and it turns into an asterik championship...

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Steve Kerr is already practicing Zoom coaching techniques.

[​IMG]

amaru and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I never watched all scrubs winning a ship, that's a first.

kjayp likes this.
  17. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Just let Westbrook coach the team.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

NICE OBSERVATION

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

so you’re saying an NBA game where coaches, players, and fans are all over 100 could run like normal?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. bmd

bmd Member

Just get them a hazmat suit.

B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.