1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You should probably figure out from basic common sense now why I asked you if you think it's genetic predisposition.

It's the inevitable conclusion of your specific logical deduction.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Nah, you just don't have an answer. I knew you were FOS. Thanks man.

3. fchowd0311

So you think the single mom issue in the poor urban Black community just sprung out of nowhere with no cause. It just is? Your rhetoric suggests it either sprung from nowhere with no cause or is genetic predisposition. What other options does you train of thought leave us with?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most of those single mothers work 2 jobs if not more. That plus combining working for a check with all the household chores. Even those that do cook for their kids, they aren't there to be a mentor for them because they are so busy trying to maintain the household.

This is true of anyone who is poor. It's incredibly hard. Harder today than before. It's a national crisis, and platitudes aren't going to solve it.

Nook likes this.
  5. Severe Rockets Fan

It was 'kind of close' with other racial groups i believe in the 40's, slightly increased in the 50's then took off in the 60's and 70's. What do you think caused it to change all of the sudden in the 50's?

6. Severe Rockets Fan

So again, the question, why is she alone with those kids and no father? Why did he take off and leave her alone to fend for herself and them? What is causing that? Fchow says, "because they're poor" or low socieoeconomic conditions make it harder for...fathers to stay around? I don't see it and I think people want to know why that's happening, because if that is changed, you wouldn't see a lot of what you're seeing now a days.

7. fchowd0311

When specifically referring to the poor urban black communties it's two things: drug trade and "brain drain".

Remember that histogram example I gave about variance? Well before desegregation, African Americans were stuck to the neighborhoods they were born into. Redlining meant they were denied mortgages even when financially qualified and school segregation meant they were very limited in their school options. So in these communties before desegregation, there were vibrant black communties such as Harlem because the kids who did well and were high achievers in their community were forced to stay and thus they contributed within that community when they were adults. After desegregation, when black individuals were allowed to move to the suburbs and go to any school they want based on academic merit rather than their skin color, the high achievers in these poor communties went off to college and moved to the suburbs. Even poor white communties experience this at a much smaller scale. In Massachusetts we have a term for people who never left their hometown called "townies". The successful kids went to a far away college and then moved to were ever their careers led them. The odds that you happened to be born in a neighborhood that has high skilled employment is low. You probably aren't going to be born in a town that has Raytheon or Lockeed Martin or some expensive law firm employing kids from college. People move to those jobs. When the high achieving black kids in these communties left and went to college and moved to the suburbs it created a huge "brain drain" issue in these communties.

The war on drugs was probably even a more significant factor in the systemic rise of single parent households in these poor communties.

Nook likes this.
  8. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Do you think that when people are making excuses for a certain group of people, there’s an underlying hint of racism from the people making excuses? It’s like if you are of a certain color, certain race, I don’t expect you to be or to do the things that other people can do so we’ll give you a pass on everything.

#88 generalthade_03, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    pgabriel likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude stop arguing to argue and read what you attached.

Generally speaking, freezing helps retain the nutrient content of fruits and vegetables.

However, some nutrients begin to break down when frozen produce is stored for more than a year (2).

Walmart ain't keeping that ish on the shelf for a year

FranchiseBlade and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

With broadband access and the right gear a person can achieve better education than the curriculum is willing to provide regardless.

11. fchowd0311

Not really. A lot of education requires hands on access to expensive equipment. You can't only learn through online classrooms. It also severely stunts social intelligence. Children need to be around other children. It's how they learn their social skills.

Sanctity likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Liberals: Blacks are like kids we can't expect them to be responsible

13. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

For real.

14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I'm finding my son lacks so much social history of America and I hope the public school curriculum here in Northern VA can soon cover such topics thoroughly.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just when I thought you could not say anything more ignorant?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm going to start calling you Pilsner cause you got mad Hops.

[​IMG]

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think everybody has access to the internet?

This shows you don't have any idea about what that population is going through.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Medicaid ain't good? Do you think doctors turn down government insurance? Do you think poor people pay for it?

What's not factual?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Prove it?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member