1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay that hour and half might not be there for a single parent with multiple children needing to work 50+ hours a week.

AleksandarN likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

3. fchowd0311

Well if single black parent families is a root cause rather than a symptom, what else does it imply besides the person stating it's ingrained genetic predisposition?

The only way to not see it as a generic predisposition is understanding that single parent black households are a symptom of another more serious problem, rather than the root problem itself.

Nook likes this.
  4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Wow, is that what you took from that? From a child's inception if they only have 1 parent look @ the disadvantage they have. Why do you think the discrepency is so large compared to other groups? You still haven't told me...just trying to ignore the question. You obviously know the answer since you straight up told me it's a symptom of something else...what is that something else?

And no, I don't think blacks' paternal instincts are genetically inferior to other groups. Thanks for asking though...

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Still cheaper and healthier than McDonalds and Wendy's though, right?

6. fchowd0311

I know the answer or a large part of the answer. I'm trying to get you to figure it out on your own.

7. fchowd0311

And still significanltly more time consuming than Wendy's. Your perspective on cooking might change if you are a single mom who just came home from a 9 hour shift in a fast food joint and coming home to 3 angry needy children you have to discipline and take care of. That easy Wendy's meal might seem a little more appealing when that stress is on your shoulders.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cheap in this case has a cost/benefit issue regarding time. If one were to work two hourly shifts, is it that much cheaper to take at least an hour to prepare cook and clean a meal? I'm sure there are "hacks" to reduce that (bulk prepping), but it's not always a laziness issue that's usually implied in these discussions.

Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not sure what you're arguing? Are frozen vegetables not healthy, is $.84 not affordable, or do you think I mean that as a whole meal?

10. Severe Rockets Fan

It takes one evening to cook for the week. Are you saying these women don't have 1 evening to take care of their family for the rest of the week? How do they get them fed every other night? Don't keep telling me they get take out every night...you're just being silly now.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So we shouldn't expect them to take any responsibility? So an engineer doesn't work hard?

I guarantee you engineer moms cook not because they don't work hard but because they're smart and they know even cheap unhealthily fast food catches up

Stop with the liberal dumb ****

12. Severe Rockets Fan

It takes a couple of hours to prepare all the meals for the week...if anything it would save a TON of time wouldn't it?

13. Severe Rockets Fan

LOL, I worked 16 hours a day swinging hammers and pipe wrenches only to do it 2 weeks in a row with no breaks...yep, he got me I don't know anything about hard work.
    Again, this is all much, much easier when you have a husband to help. But that's on everything else except the husbands decision to stay....that's the rumor....

pgabriel likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Frozen food is not nearly as bad as canned

Edit: that's why I specified frozen

15. fchowd0311

The aspect of this analysis you don't understand is we are discussing populations, not individual families.

I already made this point with @Os Trigonum before:

If I conducted IQ tests of a sample of adolescent teens from well off families only and organized that data into a histogram where the x-axis was bins for ranges of iq scores and the y-axis is the frequency in those respective ranges, you agree there still will be a natural variance right? All the scores aren't going to fall into a single range However if I collected IQ scores from a sample of only poor families, there still will be a variance in that data right? The only difference is that there will be a overall shift across the x-axis of that histogram from the right to the left when you compare the data sets for the wealthy families and the poor families.

So when we discuss policy to solve systemic problems when discussing large population pools, the goal is to shift that data set in that histogram I mentioned to the right. In every population pool there will always be a variance in success.

Any subgroup of a population will have it's share of naturally lazier people and more hard working people. The issue is when a subset of a population experiecies worse socioeconomic conditions those more lazy people get more negatively affected in those communties while in a population subset in a well off community, the lazier people are protected more where their laziness doesn't have as harsh consequences as when you are born into a poor neighborhood.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly the first problem is dropping a bunch of fatherless kids

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That isn't particularly tasty or all that healthy. Fresh vegetables are what are healthy and has passable taste as well.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yall are gonna have to back up the claim that frozen vegetables aren't healthy. What did freezing them destroy the nutrients?

Secondly add some salt. Kids don't need a bun of expensive spices from the spice rack. Even the spoiled ones hate that crap

19. Severe Rockets Fan

So why do these harsh consequences consistently prevent these fathers from staying with their children's mothers? Because they live in a worse neighborhood? People stay together all the time in bad neighborhoods and get out of them together...it's a staple of what makes this country great. What are these consequences specifically? I'm genuinely curious. sorry if i'm asking for specifics, but your "a mom can't cook for her kids after working 9 hours" sounds like you don't live in the same world as me.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member