1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"He was not saint, but he didn't deserve to

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, May 29, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I told you
    All of you
    That alternate accounts exists
    And that accounts who join and do not show any interest in rockets talk are suspicious

unpure accounts should always be reported

the prime directive of Clutchfans is to be part of the Rockets community

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

if im white I understand accountability and if Im black I dont because of slavery?

So black people are mad about slavery so they will commit crimes now?

Im still attempting to understand your logic but its getting difficult.

This is where you start sounding racist.

Police brutality should not be ok with you or anyone and to argue that angle based on your reasoning stinks. The guy wasnt resisting arrest and was choked to death. Why is that so hard to accept

Big dawg bounty hunter does just fine with mace and if anything in general with the tech available we should be dialing down deadly force.

You seem to want to promote police brutality in the name of accountability and that sounds like your bois in china that you always rail on.

It is funny how conservatives types want a police state like china. You guys cant help but talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Cmon man get it together I had high hopes for you

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Even the NFL has a penalty for unnecessary roughness.

jiggyfly and IBTL like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You knew these guys would find a way to justify the murder of Floyd by grabbing ever piece of dirt they could on his past. Forget that he was the victim here.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a cop gets caught murdering someone on video, he should expect to be charged with murder?

IBTL likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

let’s keep in mind that Floyd’s alleged crime that resulted in his death was using a fake $20 bill...something that easily could’ve been done unintentionally

bringing up Floyd’s criminal history from 13 or more years ago, but ignore the cop who had 18 prior complaints made against him and just committed a crime far worse than anything Floyd had done...racists on this board don’t even try to not be stupid

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah its crazy all the tall tales and gymnastics folks will go to on this bbs to be racist yet try to pass it off as other things.

I dont get it. They are too p***y to own their stance.

Full disclosure I believe stereotypes exist for a reason and I have had encounters with every race (including own and thought many a thing of own race) and as most at some point found racism towards me ..at me and thought by me etc .

I dont pretend to be perfect but making a persona on a basketball bbs to sput racist ideals while trying to play some intellect or thoughtful person is loser city. I dont get it and find it to be amusingly joker.

Its troll obviously and I hate to stereotype here myself but some of the trolls here are truly the bottom of barrel. It comes out in their posts and every one constantly rags on it. Its some kind of humiliation fetish.

I feel bad for piling on sometimes and calling out trolls here is actually too easy. Getting them riled up is like shining a laser pointer for a cat..
    yawn

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

OP's tune was way different when it was Hong Kong citizens rioting and China didn't even send in their military. Within 5 days Trump mobilizes the national guard, hmmm...

jiggyfly and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. shorerider

shorerider Member

Maybe we should just not have cops anymore. If you see a crime just go report it on a website or something. Otherwise we will keep having incidents like this. Because unfortunately cops are humans. Which means they succumb to things like PTSD and other mental trauma, that in fact such mental conditions can lead to things like hyper-aggressive states that can lead one to something like murder or in general their aggressive behavior. Look at the cop on that video as he is putting he knee into the man's neck. It looks like he has completely short circuited emotions like compassion or empathy. That is not normal. What role does getting a gun pointed at you by a crazed criminal every week, have to see the worst parts of society and what horrible things humans are capable of doing to each other? Can you imagine arriving at a house where a man has just stabbed a child to death? Blood everywhere and you have to subdue the person? Your mental state is going to be affected in a significant way. The divorce rate among cops is something like near 100%. PTSD is rampant. PTSD in wartime is well known to lead people to kill innocents, engage in massacres. I don't think the human psyche was designed to endure such high levels of stress for significant periods of time.

The plain fact is that this man was murdered on video. I think the more overarching question beyond this specific case is what is the role of their profession/environment in acts like this.

#89 shorerider, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    generalthade_03 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is more of an accountsbility issue than a mental issue. If there was accountsbility, officers would be more fearful of using excessive force. If they knew grabbing your smart phone and throwing it and breaking would lead to them being charged with property damage, they wouldn't do it.

The other problem with parts of the law enforcement community is many of these officers are ammosexuals who think they look bad ass in plate carriers and a AR-15 with multiple attachments. Many of them are also itching to discharge their firearm in the line of duty for war story reasons. Many of the peers I served with in the Marine Corps joined law enforcement and most of them were the types that WANTED to be in firefights. The common phrase in Marine Corp infantry is "Get Some!". That mentality carries over when they are cops policing their own fellow citizens. Many cops who precide over these poor black communties also don't see them selves as serving that community. Instead many of these cops view the residents of these neighborhoods as an insurgent type group similar to how we viewed the enemy when we stepped out on patrol in Afghanistan.

#90 fchowd0311, May 31, 2020
    jiggyfly likes this.
  11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Pure talking points of the alt right white nationalist

London'sBurning likes this.
  12. shorerider

shorerider Member

No doubt that personality type plays a big role, and they often wind up in places like the military or police. But fear is a pretty powerful thing, and I imagine it plays a role as well. The one time in my life I had a gun pulled on me I was traumatized for awhile. For months I couldn't go outside without the constant paranoia that anyone, anywhere I was, was about to pull a gun out on me. And fear does lead to aggression. It was burned into my brain and took me a long time to get over. Can't imagine having to go through that as part of my job. Yeah, others could handle better than I did mentally, but still, that's got to have an effect on almost anyone.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

FROM the way police entered the house—helmeted and masked, guns drawn and shields in front, knocking down the door with a battering ram and rushing inside—you might think they were raiding a den of armed criminals. In fact they were looking for $1,000-worth of clothes and electronics allegedly bought with a stolen credit card. They found none of these things, but arrested two people in the house on unrelated charges.

They narrowly avoided tragedy. On hearing intruders break in, the homeowner’s son, a disabled ex-serviceman, reached for his (legal) gun. Luckily, he heard the police announce themselves and holstered it; otherwise, “they probably would have shot me,” he says. His mother, Sally Prince, says she is now traumatized.

Gary Mikulec, chief of the Ankeny, Iowa police force, which raided Ms Prince’s home in January, said that the suspects arrested “were not very good people”. One had a criminal history that included three assault charges, albeit more than a decade old, and on his arrest was found to have a knife and a meth pipe.

It is easy to see why the police like to be better armed than the people they have to arrest. They risk their lives every day, and are understandably keen to get home in one piece. A big display of force can make a suspect think twice about pulling a gun. “An awful lot of SWAT tactics are focused on forcing the suspect to surrender,” says Bill Bratton, New York’s police chief.

But civil libertarians such as Radley Balko, the author of “Rise of the Warrior Cop”, fret that the American police are becoming too much like soldiers. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams (ie, paramilitary police units) were first formed to deal with violent civil unrest and life-threatening situations: shoot-outs, rescuing hostages, serving high-risk warrants and entering barricaded buildings, for instance. Their mission has crept.

Boozers, barbers and cockfighters

Peter Kraska, a professor at Eastern Kentucky University’s School of Justice Studies, estimates that SWAT teams were deployed about 3,000 times in 1980 but are now used around 50,000 times a year. Some cities use them for routine patrols in high-crime areas. Baltimore and Dallas have used them to break up poker games. In 2010 New Haven, Connecticut sent a SWAT team to a bar suspected of serving under-age drinkers. That same year heavily-armed police raided barber shops around Orlando, Florida; they said they were hunting for guns and drugs but ended up arresting 34 people for “barbering without a licence”. Maricopa County, Arizona sent a SWAT team into the living room of Jesus Llovera, who was suspected of organizing cockfights. Police rolled a tank into Mr Llovera’s yard and killed more than 100 of his birds, as well as his dog. According to Mr Kraska, most SWAT deployments are not in response to violent, life-threatening crimes, but to serve drug-related warrants in private homes.

He estimates that 89% of police departments serving American cities with more than 50,000 people had SWAT teams in the late 1990s—almost double the level in the mid-1980s. By 2007 more than 80% of police departments in cities with between 25,000 and 50,000 people had them, up from 20% in the mid-1980s (there are around 18,000 state and local police agencies in America, compared with fewer than 100 in Britain).

The number of SWAT deployments soared even as violent crime fell. And although in recent years crime rates have risen in smaller American cities, Mr Kraska writes that the rise in small-town SWAT teams was driven not by need, but by fear of being left behind. Fred Leland, a police lieutenant in the small town of Walpole, Massachusetts, says that police departments in towns like his often invest in military-style kit because they “want to keep up” with larger forces.

The courts have smiled on SWAT raids. They often rely on “no-knock” warrants, which authorize police to force their way into a home without announcing themselves. This was once considered constitutionally dubious. But the Supreme Court has ruled that police may enter a house without knocking if they have “a reasonable suspicion” that announcing their presence would be dangerous or allow the suspect to destroy evidence (for example, by flushing drugs down the toilet).

Often these no-knock raids take place at night, accompanied by “flash-bang” grenades designed temporarily to blind, deafen and confuse their targets. They can go horribly wrong: Mr Balko has found more than 50 examples of innocent people who have died as a result of botched SWAT raids. Officers can get jumpy and shoot unnecessarily, or accidentally. In 2011 Eurie Stamps, the stepfather of a suspected drug-dealer but himself suspected of no crimes, was killed while lying face-down on the floor when a SWAT-team officer reportedly tripped, causing his gun to discharge.

Householders, on hearing the door being smashed down, sometimes reach for their own guns. In 2006 Kathryn Johnston, a 92-year-old woman in Atlanta, mistook the police for robbers and fired a shot from an old pistol. Police shot her five times, killing her. After the shooting they planted mar1juana in her home. It later emerged that they had falsified the information used to obtain their no-knock warrant.

Big grants for big guns

Federal cash—first to wage war on drugs, then on terror—has paid for much of the heavy weaponry used by SWAT teams. Between 2002 and 2011 the Department of Homeland Security disbursed $35 billion in grants to state and local police. Also, the Pentagon offers surplus military kit to police departments. According to Mr Balko, by 2005 it had provided such gear to more than 17,000 law-enforcement agencies.

These programs provide useful defensive equipment, such as body armor and helmets. But it is hard to see why Fargo, North Dakota—a city that averages fewer than two murders a year—needs an armored personnel-carrier with a rotating turret. Keene, a small town in New Hampshire which had three homicides between 1999 and 2012, spent nearly $286,000 on an armored personnel-carrier known as a BearCat. The local police chief said it would be used to patrol Keene’s “Pumpkin Festival and other dangerous situations”. A Reason-Rupe poll found that 58% of Americans think the use of drones, military weapons and armored vehicles by the police has gone “too far”.

Because of a legal quirk, SWAT raids can be profitable. Rules on civil asset-forfeiture allow the police to seize anything which they can plausibly claim was the proceeds of a crime. Crucially, the property-owner need not be convicted of that crime. If the police find drugs in his house, they can take his cash and possibly the house, too. He must sue to get them back.

Many police departments now depend on forfeiture for a fat chunk of their budgets. In 1986, its first year of operation, the federal Asset Forfeiture Fund held $93.7m. By 2012, that and the related Seized Asset Deposit Fund held nearly $6 billion.

Mr Balko contends that these forfeiture laws are “unfair on a very basic level”. They “disproportionately affect low-income people” and provide a perverse incentive for police to focus on drug-related crimes, which “come with a potential kickback to the police department”, rather than rape and murder investigations, which do not. They also provide an incentive to arrest suspected drug-dealers inside their houses, which can be seized, and to bust stash houses after most of their drugs have been sold, when police can seize the cash.

Kara Dansky of the American Civil Liberties Union, who is overseeing a study into police militarization, notices a more martial tone in recent years in the materials used to recruit and train new police officers. A recruiting video in Newport Beach, California, for instance, shows officers loading assault rifles, firing weapons, chasing suspects, putting people in headlocks and releasing snarling dogs.

This is no doubt sexier than showing them poring over paperwork or attending a neighborhood-watch meeting. But does it attract the right sort of recruit, or foster the right attitude among serving officers? Mr Balko cites the T-shirts that some off-duty cops wear as evidence of a culture that celebrates violence (“We get up early to beat the crowds”; “You huff and you puff and we’ll blow your door down”).

Others retort that Mr Balko and his allies rely too much on cherry-picked examples of raids gone wrong. Tragic accidents happen and some police departments use their SWAT teams badly, but most use them well, says Lance Eldridge, a former army officer and ex-sheriff’s deputy in Colorado.

It would be easier to determine who is right if police departments released more information about how and how often they deploy SWAT teams. But most are extremely cagey. In 2009 Maryland’s governor, Martin O’Malley, signed a law requiring the police in his state to report such information every six months. Three published reports showed that SWAT teams were most often deployed to serve search warrants on people suspected of crimes involving drugs and other contraband, but the law is set to expire this year. Utah’s legislature has passed a similar measure; it awaits the governor’s signature.

No one wants to eliminate SWAT teams. Imminent threats to human life require a swift, forceful response. That, say critics, is what SWAT teams should be used for: not for serving warrants on people suspected of nonviolent crimes, breaking up poker games or seeing that the Pumpkin Festival doesn’t get out of hand.

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Are you a Rockets fan?
    @Clutch

OCP
    Official Clutchfans Police
    [​IMG]

15. Senator

Senator Member

Nice to see the mob has now turned against me, the guy here to help them. But as we see on the streets or the internet, they don't have the ability to think for themselves.

As a mod, can't you search my post history? I am an Astros fan and have posted many timesabout the Rockets. Not sure if you know this, but there is no sport being played right now.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

I only represent the 99ers
    Who are OCP
    @Rocket River @Reeko

there are outside forces attacking Clutch City’s past and present everyday on the GARM

but you don’t know that do you

17. Senator

Senator Member

Like many in the mob, you're your own worst enemy. Let's keep it simple since it's clear who has "hate in their blood" and can't see clearly. The more you talk the more you prove you're not smart enough to think things through and need others to make decisions for you.

I have the same standards for others as I would my kids. Don't keep testing cops, because you don't want to give them the opportunity to abuse their authority. they aren't perfect robots programmed in a lab -it's a hard life with no gratitude particularly those in rougher neighborhoods and their own lives are often targeted/ at risk.

Whether this cop was racist, or abusing power, or just too dumb (and yeah, that exists everywhere) to know he was suffocating the guy... he'll be tried and convicted. As other cops in the wrong have been in the past.

But we'll keep having these incidents because it's not a cops job to be a father figure to criminals. It just isn't. Sometimes they have to be rough to get their point across. I've seen it growing up far away from middle class or wealthy neighborhoods, if they're soft, they get taken advantage of. This isolated incident -- compared to the majority of arrests - stinks, but I'm not expecting a few convictions here and there to change anything with the guys doing the actual work. If the black community was as outraged over committing crime as they were abusing police, we would have moved past this friction a long time ago. instead, all we see is history repeat itself.

If you keep inviting trouble to your front door, then asking for more help and handouts, it'll take you and your whole family down. Take emotion and insecurity out of it and focus on the actions ,, that's what those who succeed at something in any field do. Cops act the way they do as a last resort after many years of painful experience .... if you are smart enough to program a robot cop that acts perfectly and is immune to bullets, please do so. Otherwise you're only making the problem worse.

#97 Senator, May 31, 2020
  18. Senator

Senator Member

He did not. You can't change the narrative of anything off the video to suit your view.

The same stupid reasoning of the "idea of this nation" is what gun lunatics use to walk around with ak 47's to public spaces and talk about liberty. Or people during COVID use to gather publicly and interact with hundreds of strangers in a tight area.

A cop cannot act perfectly all the time - if you had the courage to be one, you would know. Or maybe you're fine dying at a routine traffic stop like this immigrant officer -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-fatally-shot-during-traffic-stop/3802158002/

How about stop testing them? Stop giving them repeated reasons to interact with you? Other races who come to America with nothing have managed... no other country would put up the constant toxic behavior, followed by a victim mentality of this demographic.

19. fchowd0311

When has normative statements like yours actually solved crime and poverty?

Beliggerence of law enforcement is ingrained in poor black communties because of history. People outside those communties telling them to "calm down" never has and never will work.

Instead you have to find the solutions to crime and poverty while also holding law enfot accountable. Today a cop knows that if he slaps your smartphone out of your hands and damages it even if all you did was point a camera towards him he won't be arrested for property damage like the rest of the American populace. That knowledge that cops have that they know they can get says with **** is what allows bad behavior in law enforcement to exist.

20. fchowd0311

How about we stop testing the patience of poor urban black communties? You seem the think that the "being antagonizing towards law enforcement" part came first rather than the 400 years of slavery, lynching police brutality etc.