1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"He was not saint, but he didn't deserve to

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, May 29, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

be treated like that..." I can't tell you how many times I've heard this over the last 3 decades, and how it goes down exactly the same way. A guy who had a lengthy criminal history, (in this case, one of the incidents in Houston TX being he broke into a woman's home, pointed a gun at her stomach, robbed the place for drugs and money)... was once again committing a crime and was apprehended. The argument that it was a smaller crime than his previous crimes isn't relevant when you consider he kept putting himself in harm's way. Are those rioting going to be hating the police when someone starts stealing from their homes? Assaulting their wives?

Anyone, regardless of race or gender, who keeps breaking the law over and over again is playing with fire. None of the pretend intellectuals here have the courage to join the police force, but plenty of time to hate on them, call for violence against them and pretend like there's an easy answer to dealing with repeat offenders when you're own life is on the line every day. Would you say the best and brightest you know join the police force ? it isn't the most desirable job particularly with the animosity towards the rule of law in modern times.

The answer to this problem is easy and straight forward - but no one wants to actually demonize all types of crime. It's more poetic to pretend like if you've got nothing, you can keep committing crimes and expect the police to be your best friend. That's not how I or anyone I know rose out of poverty...

It's time to put up or shut up - if you don't like the police system and want better treatment of repeat offenders, join the police force and lead by example. Tell us about your experiences and earn the respect of your peers. Otherwise you're a hypocrite who only supports someone because of the color of their skin.. not their actions.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd still like to see this extensive list of crimes. Except for the robbery which he was convicted of and served his time, what other crimes did he commit?

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Who are you speaking to exactly? I haven’t heard many people around here call for violence against the police. I don’t think many people think the police have an easy job.

I spoke out against the looters and said they were nothing but thieves. I don’t want to see any violence or property damaged. Maybe some do, but I don’t.

When a cop does something wrong, they should be held accountable. How could anyone disagree with that?

The cop was arrested, I’m satisfied that things are moving in the right direction in this case. However, it does seem like that there is an ongoing problem with black guys that end up dead at the hands of the police. It may not happen all that often considering how many interactions happen everyday with cops. But, there does seem to be a problem.

And yes, I could never be a cop. It’s a hard job and I wouldn’t want to do it. But, just because the job is difficult, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t expect cops to do their jobs well.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let me get this straight. A citizen cannot pose criticism and urge political leaders to reform law enforcement in their community unless they want to join the police force?

Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Yung-T, AleksandarN, Nook and 6 others like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

focusing on the victim and pretty much ignoring the murderer cop as usual

the racists on this board are so predictable

I’m surprised u haven’t yet called Floyd a “dindu nuffin” like u did with Arbery

this POS racist wants to sit here and give lectures...foh

ClutchCity3, tinman, robgue and 13 others like this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

senator : this is learned behavior through years and years of being taught by there parents ang has been engrained in them to treat people that aren't there same color.It's not about joining there have been many that have joined and the same thing has happen.

7. Senator

Senator Member

Let's come back to reality here - that's a world I have to deal with. From your aquiantances, who actually became cops? What kind of people were they? You can train a person only so much, but then they'll spend decades dealing with issues. I'm genuinely tired of seeing the same story play out and people in pain... I want to see change. But I know we can't go in a lab and cook up the perfect police officer, clone him, and have everything be fine. these are human beings who deal with criminals every day and I can't expect them to be perfect, particularily when they've followed protocol, been the bigger person, and then been taken advantage of. Those stories don't make the news, but I meet those people in person (white, black, hispanic cops... it's not a race thing).

The cop was arrested, previous cops who acted out of line have been arrested and convicted, but statistically these incidents are neglible in a cops overall dealings. i have seen more incidents of a cop being friendly and overly understanding then getting burnt at the stake. we need to empathize with both sides instead of rioting and getting aggressive.

8. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Someone really needs to delete this **** stains account. Why exactly do you think that every racist thought that pops into your head is worthy of a new thread on this?

tinman, Yung-T, AleksandarN and 4 others like this.
  9. Senator

Senator Member

i don't agree with that. i think it's behavior from years and years of cops in a country that hates and demonizes them and those who aren't in great neighborhoods thinkin. i really do think racists have been pushed out to rural areas where we don't see much of them. there were many more in the boomer or sterling era (clippers owner) who are retired or no longer interacting with anyone. how long have you followed race relations in this country or others? i can remember incidents from the 80's to now, and let me tell you, cnn can lecture people all they want, but none of them are joining the police force and leading by example. none of them are willing to experience what cops of all colors experience on a daily basis, and so cops have no incentive to listen to them. i have been to funerals of cops (2012, 2016, 2017.. fairly recent) who were shot and killed by acting routine and "way too nice" - that did not make the news.

cops are getting arrested and convicted (use of excessive and unnecessary force here) - but are these incidents decreasing? is violent crime decreasing?

10. likestohypeguy

There are I think four "devil's advocate" guys here on this issue, on this bbs. OP is among them. While he's made several posts to this effect in the various existing threads, I never felt like they'd really garnered the amount of attention he needed or deserved.

I am here, paying attention to you.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  11. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

12. Senator

Senator Member

have these citizens done anything to change the system the last 3-4 decades? have they caused crime (which has nothing to do with the police) to go down from certain communities? they're not doing anything or putting their life on the line like cops do, so why would a cop listen? a cop deals with more dead cops from unruly criminals than dead criminals from unruly cops.

13. Senator

Senator Member

if you don't have the intellect to address facts or real issues, and all you do is try to insert junk and accusations into adult conversations, expect 4 more years of trump. it backfired in 2016 it will backfire now. real world people do not have the patience.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Nah I can't agree with you on that they remain in big cities and yes they are being demonizes there behavior in the poorer neighborhood's is the reason why they are. II get that there have been many of officers that have been killed I live it on a daily bases family members and friends who are on the front lines as first responders. Getting rid of learned behavior of hate can only be fixed by getting rid of bad cops.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I believe in division of labor. Not everyone who has empathy and cares needs to be an activist other than being properly informed and voting. Obviously we should all help as much as possible but systemic change can only be achieved through political or violent revolution. So go vote.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Wow. There it is.

Do you think, as the cops killed this man, they knew about his lengthy rap sheet? This could have been any black man out there that was suspected of a crime.

Yung-T, Richie_Rich and Rocket River like this.
  17. Senator

Senator Member

Are you sure?

• The 46-year-old had left behind his past in Houston after being released from prison stemming from a 2007 robbery
    • He plead guilty to entering a woman’s home, pointing a gun at her stomach and searching the home for drugs and money, according to court records
    • Floyd was sentenced to 10 months in jail for having less than one gram of cocaine in a December 2005 arrest
    • He had previously been sentenced to eight months for the same offense, stemming from an October 2002 arrest
    • Floyd was arrested in 2002 for criminal trespassing and served 30 days in jail
    • He had another stint for a theft in August 1998
    Why expect rosy outcome's if you keep putting yourself in harm's way?

And that's only what he was caught for. I don't believe in big punishments for posession of cocaine that isn't large enough to distribute, but when you're repeatedly arrested for breaking the law and having it on you that's a problem allSC justices won't overlook. A repeated trend of breaking and entering, guns, drugs etc. is putting yourself in harm's way. You can't expect the cop's to bail you out each time - the white community does not. The hispanic community does not. The asian community does not. If you look at the aggressive attitude in this thread, you see why it keeps happening. Condemn the crimes and stop the cycle before it gets to this point where a cop can abuse you. There will be more incidents to come regardless of President if you don't acknowledge the core issues.

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

This guy had a prior form of relationship with the officer that killed him which is a coincidence? Seems to either be the cousin of or related to Stephen Jackson.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When I searched yesterday that article wasn't there. Googling tonight shows the stuff you pulled (dailymail.com). He was only convicted of 1 gun crime, so not sure where you are getting gunS from. Also, he was only charged with 1 B&E, so not sure where you are getting multiple acts of that.

Regardless....there is no excuse for what the officer did and none of Floyd's previous criminal activities have anything to do with having his neck knelt on for 8+ minutes including 2+ minutes after there was no sign of a pulse.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So his last crime that he was charged with was 13 years ago. He moved to Minny for a new start.

Yung-T likes this.