1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG might replace MDA as Rockets coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 5, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Given how he was playing, and how the team responded after...was that really a bad call?

Rudy was a major players coach.. and he often benched guys or went with his gut which didn't make everybody happy. Players coach doesn't imply that tough decisions don't happen... most of the time, these guys were successful players in their own right and they understand the leeway some guys need to thrive.

So far, this thread has basically determined that there is no ideal coach for Harden... which is a problem if you're thinking about crossing a coach off the list simply because of how he may or may not connect with him.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who could Yao realistically cover?

He was a slower Rudy Gobert... and the current Rockets salivate whenever a center like that is on the floor. Who knew that at the time the exploitation of Yao was basically ushering in the extinction of the center...

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

not revisionist at all, just facts...what aren’t facts is that we were forcing turnovers, creating fastbreak opportunities, or the notion that JVG wasn’t stifling Francis

I’m not even all that concerned about JVG’s offensive ineptitude...Harden will prop up the offense by himself and make whatever is run have good results

matter of fact, if JVG is not as dead set on layups and threes like MDA and can get Harden back to diversifying his game and not allowing him to have those 1-17, 2-16 type nights from 3, then that would be very nice...maybe he could install some actual plays and clean up the ridiculous, nonsensical shot selection that this team has...I feel he would pay more attention to detail than MDA and bring more structure/accountability

top 10 defense and offense is needed to win a title in most cases...if JVG can get the defense to a consistent top 10 level while Harden carries the offense then I’m good

topfive likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

IMO he was a scoring Marc Gasol, Rudy isn't scoring enough to be Yao.

Rudy being the better defender though.

The Rox didn't have a good 2 way PF back then.

If one could cover Boozer, Okur would go off but he wasn't as good as Boozer.

Dwill also did tons of damage.

Agreed, the C and even PF positions are nerfed.

#104 daywalker02, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

JVG always claimed that he begged his players to play faster, to run more, and that they didn't do it. I'd say that's on him as a coach. If your guys aren't listening, you've got to try a different approach to get them to.

DeBeards, francis 4 prez and D-rock like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of McHale complaining about sticky ball.

francis 4 prez, D-rock and topfive like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

God speed rockets including harden, worldwide.

Jvg would not immediately have personnel decision making power after rockets had already made major changes.

I give harden credit for defeating timberwolves in a series back in 2018, two years ago.

In series, Rockets , including harden, beat Timberwolves who had wiggins, Butler, and derrick rose. Capeala had major rebounding numbers getting 17, 16,11, and 15 rebounds during the series.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, he traded the most notorious "not listener" after just one year. Sura did a much better job of getting them into the offense quicker. Alston was better than what was initially expected of him. The claims that JVG was "tuned out" by his players is all speculation... and after all these years, there would have been at least one player corroborating all the BBS conspiracies.

My guess is the expended effort on defense did limit their energy to run on offense... but if that really is the case, is the solution really to say "don't play hard on defense"?

#108 Nick, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In the end, defense merely about effort/accountability... neither of which this team seems to care much about until they're truly embarrassed.

MDA's offense wasn't merely about layups/3's till he came here and was given Harden.... so yeah, if Harden is truly going to control all aspects of the offense, it really shouldn't matter who the coach is.

I for one do miss Harden's post-up game, especially down the stretch when they don't need a 3... just a good high percentage shot. But at some point, a step-back fade-away 45 footer became a statistically acceptable shot at any point, as long as Harden was taking it.

10. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

It's alot of people I fear have mistaken Stan van Gundy for Jeff van gundy.

If McHale not invited back then it doesn't make sense to pursue jvg either.

Both McHale and jvg are well respected with the media with nothing to prove to Houston.

Maybe Scott Brooks, Nate McMillan, Dewayne casey might coach rockets.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

That is not leadership.
    A leader knows what the players are capable of.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think JVG has been away for long enough to have viewed the game from an outside perspective and sees a blend of “old-school” and the layups and 3’s crowd .

the truth is he had Yao when he was here . Yao wasn’t gonna get up and down fast and maybe he should have been used as a shooter more but JVG had him when he was still youngish and trying to be a better post player . Hard to deny the logic at the time .

I’m not sure about any revolutionary scheme changes JVG would make . But you would know it if he and james weren’t on the same page ... and for being on the same page with JVG means playing hard on defense , no doubt. So can we complain ?

if the season is continued in the summer I highly doubt MDA will be let go , unless he just wanted to retired or harbored previous feelings of disrespect.

I’d like JVG as a coach . To me he’s in the mold of a Mchale or Rudy T , he’s got that dog mentality and heart of a champion , even if he hasn’t won one yet .

he can be a players coach. But , he’s gonna demand things in return and some things are non-negotiable . He will be old school if things come to a head in asserting his authority .

I think he’s the ideal coach for us actually . But then we need a right coordinator or two around him

YOLO likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

A real leader knows how to get players to play to their full potential, not just go along with whatever they feel like doing.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think a real leader is much more than just knowing what to do. It comes from the heart or soul. You either have it or you dont. Knowledge in of it self doesn't make a leader.

15. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Our current leader is using his heart and soul, definitely not his brain and definitely not listening to Scientist or Health Authority and he's definitely not letting the experts do their job.

Why was Phil successful? He let people do their job and sat there and got all the credit for just letting people do their job. Some people can't do that and think they have to open their fact mouth and take credit for eveything, but then blame everyone else when it doesn't work out

16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

i disagree with no ideal coach or harden. nick nurse checks all the boxes...

17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Rockets need to either let Mike d'antoni ride out another season or look into Stan van gundy.

Stan van gundy appeared in a finals with the magic so Stan van gundy is up for the job.

18. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Why Not? He's Local and Live here in Houston! Playoff Ready Team!

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This JVG coming back to Houston rumor is about as consistant as Daft Punk going to Coachella.

20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member