1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Captain parrot comes in to save the day. Let me know when you get an original thought in your head.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

German beaches opening for tourists May 25, hope **** doesn't backfire.

malakas likes this.
  3. kubli9

Supporting Member

#stayhome is a new form of virtue signaling.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes the lockdown was needed initially which sole purpose again, was to not overwhelm hospitals. its been awhile since that goal was achieved by a combination of the lockdown and wildly inaccurate models but at some point people were led to believe a continued lockdown is needed to "stop" the spread. Which was never the intention. welp 30 million jobs later

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You mean instead of hearing it from the horse mouth, take a wild guess?

Yung-T likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The lockdown has two main functions given where we were at. To flatten the curves everywhere (remember, we were mostly blind and so we flatten where we didn't need to and started flatten too late where we needed to) and to buy us time to recover from our piss poor starts. At least that's what I thought. I'm seriously pissed that we mostly went star gazing instead.

p.s. let's hope that it spread slowly and/or we get effective treatment...

7. kubli9

Supporting Member

If you are healthy, you have very little to worry about.

8. omgTHEpotential

Dude, you're trying too hard to bait someone into giving you attention.

9. kubli9

Supporting Member

This is a discussion board. I’d go to CNN or some other mainstream liberal news agency if I wanted to read posts from Major.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

well a few months into this, we do know what population needs to be protected from this significantly more than others

11. kubli9

Supporting Member

Chill on the #stayhome shaming.

12. omgTHEpotential

case in point

13. Major

Major Member

So you're one of those people that prefers literally making things up out of thin air and claiming them as fact? Or do you have some kind of inside info Sweden's motives that we don't? If you don't want to be called out for posting false things, don't post false things.

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I thought Tri-state area included the entire states, but it just refers to the greater NYC metro area basically. It doesn't include like 10 million people in those 3 states....so that's why I edited my post earlier.

Also, maybe you are seeing my point and disagreeing but maybe I didn't make it clear. I'm referring to that area because it is a concentrated geographical location with high population density and highly interconnected. I'm just eyeballing it but about half the deaths have happened in about a 30,000-40,000 sq mi area. It's going to be very tough to replicate that level of rapid, widespread infection in the rest of the US especially considering that we are more educated about covid.

Second, I don't see how the new positive cases reach 200k/day in a month. Based on the numbers it seems practically impossible. Here's the data I've compiled and you can see what I'm talking about. Maybe we get there because we ramp up testing another 250% like we have done over the past month or so, but still that only gets us to 625k or so tests per day. Even if we do that then it would imply the percentage of tests positive completely reverses course and goes far beyond what it was at even at its worst levels.

That stated I fully believe we were having far more new covid cases than we were detecting. It's practically unavoidable to reach any other conclusion for a couple simple reasons. The virus is EXTREMELY contagious and we have seen the early results from the NYC antibody tests that indicate 15%-25% of the city was infected. The prison numbers and now meat packing numbers are all also indicating this. It is also seeming that most cases are asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic.

And how to we get down to 1k deaths per day? If the current hot spots follow the New York trend then that's how. New York state rolling averages peaked at about 780 confirmed deaths per day (probable deaths adds about 10-15%). As of yesterday they were down to 293 deaths per day.

[​IMG]

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You can look at the data from NYC and breakdown that the virus is still about 3x-6x more deadly than the flu to healthy populations under 45. The risk is still EXTREMELY minor, but I went thru and did the estimations myself. If you are going to accuse people of being a parrot then you can at least do the exercise of researching the data for yourself and telling us rather than using insults that you wouldn't use to someone's face.

KingCheetah likes this.
  16. kubli9

Supporting Member

The data for what he said doesn’t exist. This is affecting the sick and elderly.

17. kubli9

Supporting Member

Sweden didn’t force a shutdown like the rest of the world did, you are just spinning and blowing hot air per usual.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Man you came in hot lol. He never said they forced a shutdown. That said their economy is vastly outperforming the rest of the world.

20. kubli9

Supporting Member