1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. VanityHalfBlack

I think wearing a facemaks is badass af. I saw one guy at the grocery lookin like Bane from batman, lmao. And bad breath, yall breath stank! cover it up

LonghornFan likes this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The reality is that many elderly and unhealthy people are going to die in the next few months rather than in the next few years. It isn’t as dire as it sounds.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Okay, Apocalypse.

[​IMG]

KingCheetah and FrontRunner like this.
  4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

[​IMG]

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Like I said... no faith.

Nook, KingCheetah and FrontRunner like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

step back

[​IMG]

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time believing a model (regarding deaths) that actual results are outside the 2.5-97.5% range for about 2/3rds of the actual results. Though, the model could be a self-fulfilling prophesy long-term if short term results aren't nearly as bad as this model projects.

Edit: Looking at the following tweet to this one showing cases...it seems the model referenced is treating the number of cases information as more accurate than the deaths as model fits number of cases almost perfectly. While I think the death data misses a lot of deaths, I'd guess the death numbers are at least in the right order of magnitude. Instead of thinking case data suggests that we've had a lot less deaths than have actually occurred, I think it is more reasonable that the death data suggests a lot more people have it than have been reported.

#7167 Joe Joe, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

and a decent portion of the people that don't think it is as dire as it sounds.

9. kubli9

Supporting Member

Data please

10. kubli9

Supporting Member

Some of us, including the entire country of Sweden, prefer herd immunity rather than destroying the economy.

11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I think that ship has sailed. With an event like this, the economy was going to be f'ed up either way.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Sweden isn't aiming for herd immunity and their economy is suffering just like everyone else. The main difference is the people are doing it voluntarily there instead of by law, because they listen to their governments.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/29/sweden-brushes-off-far-right-support-221193

Swedish PM:

Linde believes Sweden can afford to have looser rules because the government enjoys “high levels of trust.”

“Government advice is not some tip that you follow if you want, it’s seen as something that you should follow,” she explained. By way of example, Linde pointed out that although internal travel in Sweden is not banned, there was a 96 percent decrease in travel to the popular vacation island of Gotland over the Easter weekend holiday.

“We are totally prepared to go in with harder measures if (the rules) are not followed,” Linde said

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Tristate is only 3 states :). That can go to 0 and we may still have an uptick if the other states are getting worse.

But...

That chart just doesn't make much sense...

With reported death consistently above modeled deaths, you would think that model would be updated (IOW, this model seems out of date). Why release something that looks quite dated?

The number of cases is modeled to go from ~25k to ~200k per day in 1 month? Is that just a reflection of expansion of test? If not, how does that translate to only 1k more death per day?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

well the ship sailed when even though the hospitals didn't get overwhelmed like original models projected, the economy was still shut down rather than adjusting to what was really happening. That number of unemployed continued to rise the longer it went on, despite hospitals not even close to exceeding capacity. And even now you still have the stay closed group

#7174 YOLO, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My dad is 61 and has asthma. People are fine with collateral damage.. I'm not.

Covid isn't going to take years off people's lives, it will be decades early for some.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. kubli9

Supporting Member

Not all, but the vast majority are elderly and unhealthy individuals. Also, I’m a frontline healthcare worker in a hospital, I’m yet to see a young, healthy individual with COVID where I work. Sorry, but your earlier point was wrong.

19. kubli9

Supporting Member

Your Dad, like all elderly and unhealthy individuals, should self quarantine so as not to get exposed.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There were a bunch of models with range from 0 to 100... but the majority said overwhelmed if lockdown weren't enacted. Lockdown worked to flatten the curve.

You can now open up all you want, but if people aren't safe, the econ is not just going to have a V recovery. Pipe dream.

You want the econ to not dive so much, to recover, to sustain then solve the virus issue without lockdown, like some countries have been trying and some have succeeded so far.