1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rocket: Jeremy Lin says he never wanted to be a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 2, 2020.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I can understand both sides. Rox needed a star, couldn't find one cuz they let Dragic go and then didn't wanna tank for an actualf franchise player. Lin was prob their best bet his numbers under MDA were fantastic for a couple of weeks. It was indeed a flash in the pan but to be completely honest I think he could've sustained it if he wasn't so injury prone and had he stayed in the Leastern conference.

OTH Lin obv wanted to stay in NYC, he had it great there a coach who catered to his style and was treated as the savior of the franchise. It was also a garbage conference so he might have made noise and put up lots of empty numbers similar to what Trae Young is doing now. He went from that situation to a half court offense stuck between Dwight Howard (who clogged the paint), James Harden (who was a much better version of Lin who could also shoot) and Patrick Beverly (who fit next to Harden way more than Lin). It is understandable he wouldn't want to go to Houston I don't think it is personal its just the situation for him is like going from heaven to purgatory esp considering how much he flopped in the playoffs.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right but that team with Chandsome, Lin, injured Dwight and McFail ain't gonna get it done. The Rox would just get owned in the round after that so it doesn't matter.

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

It made sense for him to stay where he had success rather than risking it to go to an entire new team. His unsuccessful tenure here proved so too.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

Can’t say that I blame him given how it worked out. I still expect the more sensitive members of the board to flame Lin though.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The passive aggressive drama queen strikes again.

apollo33, Zboy, 34to11 and 2 others like this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Nobody is more sensitive than Jerry Lin. Dude cries on cue.

Zboy, 34to11, tinman and 1 other person like this.
  7. jayland

jayland Member

Not matching Lin's contract was probably one of the few smart choices Knicks management made in the past decade.

tinman and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seriously, I've never seen a person whine and complain that he got overpaid.

So it didn't end great. You still got 49 million reasons not to cry about it

Zboy, Richie_Rich, Von Rafer and 5 others like this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

My coworker told me today,

OKC would agree to send Chris Paul to Knicks but they want young players and 2 future Firsts from Knicks.
    Paul trade value is this high. Maybe higher than Westbrook, knicks might not offer 2 firsts for WB.

I guess it may be clippers and Mavs picks.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jerry never produced at Houston like he was expected to. Maybe he was a bottle rocket. Shoots off in a blaze of light and then peters out. As a Rockets fan, I was excited about getting him initially, although I thought the contract was outrageous. It turned out that outrageous was an understatement.

Good grief! I'm a fan of Chris, but that's a steep price to pay to get him at his age. Depends on which young players they'd toss in, as well. It's the Knicks. Maybe they'll go for it. It would be good for Chris to go to New York. Heck, everything depends on this virus, though. No telling what deals will be made. Any word on what the league will allow? Right now, the trade deadline is long gone, unless things have changed and I missed it.

#30 Deckard, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Deep down Lin probably blames Houston for the way his career ended but the truth is he just too injury prone later on and one other major reason was he had a lot of self-confidence issues. It's not really anyone's fault in the end, he was just a bad fit when Harden was so good at handling the ball. If Morey knew we were going to get Harden before he got Lin, then it was probably Morey's fault but the Harden trade happened literally days before the season started.

A lot of players who could've been all-star or borderline all-star level have confidence issues so they never make it to that level. A good example is Ben McLemore. Remember this guy was shooting above .400 from the 3 when he started but once you had him come off the bench, he immediately shot like garbage. Gerald Green also had this issue before he came back to Houston. If there is one thing Dantoni is good at is making his players believe in themselves. I'm sure Lin's career would've ended up differently if he kept playing under Dantoni for a couple more years (and if he didn't get so injury prone).

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Offseason trade.
    OKC view Paul as all star value. Knicks can’t get him for free.

After Memphis trade nothing for Iggy and unprotected first, they wanted another first.

#32 BigBum, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Deckard likes this.
  13. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

Lmao I was thinking the same thing. The whole statement sounds like a 15 year old ​

14. fattz

fattz Member

OKC is taken first round picks coming and going. It’s amazing how much Paul’s value has gone up when the cap is going down and his contract is super maxed.

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

We also wish he had never come to Houston and held the team back. :). Come at me LOF

16. macan

macan Member

come on op..you gotta put former Rockets Legend in the title..

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

These type of statements are why Lin is and has always been a loser in the NBA. He lacks the blind confidence that really good players have. He is passive aggressive or plays the victim in every scenario.

Zboy, Deckard, 34to11 and 3 others like this.
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think he would fit in great with kd and Kyrie.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We were going after Lin no matter what. Les needed another player to market to China and Houston just happen to have the money at the time.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Negative points for posting this on the GARM
    @CometsWin

Even DMO is on the Nba dish
    @Zboy

don’t do this for clicks dude