1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That stock traded so wildly in the past, I just stayed away. I bought Starbucks years ago for their potential in China and India, and thought about doing the same with BYND when they announced their foray into China by selling through Starbucks, but I'm still wary. It's a huge market but there are multiple competitors there. The one thing they may have going for them is they're on the Starbucks menu from what I've been reading. If you're just trying to cash in on the "scared of meat" or "scarcity of meat" trade, there are others like KFC, Omnipork, Zhenmeat, etc. all getting into China, so Beyond Meat won't be alone. BeyondMeat has also already doubled their stock price since the March lows, but I don't know how much of the most recent run-up in the last week or so is because of the China news or just everything in the market going up. I may buy a bit of it for giggles in the future.

Mr. Brightside, Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think it'll continue to fall from news but should remain above crash level. With that said this one is now playing more like a Covid-19 follow the news and needs more restaurant plays etc. At least from the harsh downgrade/drop. I didn't do any DD, so not financial advice, but with post above I think it's one if you do enter you want to watch closely. News hurt it like the small caps I've been chasing.

On a side note I was watching it at crash level and didn't enter like I should have.... I also didn't plan on this going like it did with the virus, it definitely did great following the news initially. I'm almost considering options on it but would have liked to have gotten in awhile back. Hell you could probably low ball and sell Puts, but I'm not gambling, This market has been wild on swings from news.

#9642 CCity Zero, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Mr. Brightside likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Interesting volume on FB calls for 5/1 @200... I probably won't do it, but I like watching plays like this. Not as interesting as the BA one awhile back but I'm thinking they'll make money, even if they move ahead of ER

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Bought in at 1.88, bailed at 1.95. Who knew it would go up to 2.04!!

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On FB options? Or AYTU?

UAVS has been ridiculous today 0.70-1.00

6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

AYTU, gave me mini heart attacks along the way.
    UAVS got in on at .88, got out at .93

Haven't done options yet. What where you thinking? Put on FB?

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, those have been crazy.

On FB, I think it's risky and I'm not doing it but was saying to watch calls at $200 for 5/1, this is pure speculation, But earlier volume didn't make sense. And it was ahead of the positive news. I think it's too close to test, so basically watching for fun leading up to earnings and after. Just thought it was interesting, I'll definitely let you know if I see something or buy some but I doubt I will.

RKREBORN likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

A breakout from a triangle formation in the making
    ---powered thru the 50 MA---heading towards the 100 MA of 54, the next resistance level ??
    if it can break thru 100 MA, it'll likely close the 55.5 - 57 gap. i'll give it until Thu
    [​IMG]

#9648 adoo, Apr 27, 2020
    RKREBORN and CCity Zero like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice find, are you just holding or options on this?

RKREBORN likes this.
  10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

@CCity Zero @adoo @Dr of Dunk
    What is everyone's thoughts on Amazon? Holding on to some shares, and with earnings coming in getting nervous. Took a big hit today

11. adoo

adoo Member

both.

long on BX stock; generally sell covered calls off it.
    when i see an up trend developing, i buy call & / or sell credit spreads w puts

had been long Jun 50 CALL since 11 Apr, had expected a break out 1.5 wk ago, willing to watch it until eom

#9651 adoo, Apr 27, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  12. adoo

adoo Member

amzn is out of my league, buying power that is, even w options

but i have played it. the only way i'd play it is to sell a credit spread, w high probability of being worthless at expiration

[​IMG]

the chart screams timber; but,
    if i were to play amzn now, knowing that earnings will be on thu, after market close,
    i'd sell a may 2375 / 2380 CALL spread, w a limit order of $2.5 credit​

#9652 adoo, Apr 27, 2020
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've already posted my screenshot of my Amazon purchase and sell from 2007'ish, so that was proof I have no clue. :D
    Part of me tells me people will still be using AWS even more with the WFH stuff as well as more groceries for delivery using Amazon Fresh or just Amazon for everything else with this coronavirus. But then with a recession and unemployment on the horizon maybe people and companies will buy less of everything. Amazon's grocery performance will be interesting to see in the earnings report, though. I would think they'd knock at least that division's earnings out of the park.

Amazon was down only 1% -- that wasn't much of a big hit. All the FAANG stocks performed similarly today because almost all of them have earnings in the coming days.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. astros123

astros123 Member

Oil only dumped today because USO which is currently holding 22% of June contracts dumped ALL of their contracts over the next 2 days. The SEC needs to come out and do something about USO because they are ****ing over the entire oil market. The market will probably go negative these next 2 days as USO will exit about a billion dollars worth of June contracts. I guarantee you that we will see a MASSIVE rally in oil on Thursday/Friday. Just wait and watch. USL is still the safest play for an oil recovery as it holds 12 months of futures. I've been dollar costing myself on USL and now I'm officially all in on USL after tomorrow dive. I have about 110k worth of USL and another 20k of October/July call options. Call me crazy but we will see.

https://www.barchart.com/story/futu...-after-the-uso-etf-rolls-out-of-june-contract

These dumb ****s have already announced they'll be dumping June contracts so as a buyer why the fk would you buy today if you know the price is a guarantee to go lower because of them dumping?

peleincubus likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The balls on you are big sir.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CMCSA @ 38.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So after day trading and making some great %'s on the rebound in March on several companies. I went long about 12 days ago on around 15 aristocrat dividend companies up and down the list of sectors with good dividends. This is excluding any oil and gas though. I plan on keeping these holdings generally for the next 20-30 years. Along with those I purchased several different tech companies like TSLA, SWKS, NVDA. A few companies that don't fit any of these profiles are BRK and SBUX both strong and will continue to grow again. Lastly a few REITS and cannabis companies that were researched well but that have plunged. If I feel comfortable at all with any airlines bottoms in the next month I may purchase that. Otherwise will mostly just add to these positions.

So far since all of those purchases were made they have outperformed the DOW and NASDAQ all but one session. I'm now awaiting for Armageddon and make america Great again Depression to lose everything.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not that anyone cares but I forgot to mention I purchased another dividend aristocrat today that dropped 13% CINF at 71.55 perfect time to get in on these companies with a strong several decade history along with tech in my opinion.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FAANG stocks "underperforming" again while the laggards of the past few months gaining with many people saying money is moving into some of the battered stocks over that period. Interesting.

Alphabet reporting just now : EPS missed, but revenues beat.

20. adoo

adoo Member

at mar expiration, made play on SBUX
    sold Apr 65/60 put spread, using the premium collected to defray the cost of a LEAP 75 CALL calendar, w a Apr front leg

late march
    on 14 Apr
    heading into Earnings, SBUX is trading at 78.88, should it exceed 80,

gonna roll that front leg, may 80 CALL,
    to Jun exp at a strike that will still net me some premium

will also roll up the credit spread, to a may 80/75 put spread;
    the LEAP call, Jan 2021 75 CALL has > tripled

#9660 adoo, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020