1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Kidd or Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Apr 26, 2020.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Kidd 3 point %
    Age 34, 46.1%
    Age 35, 40.6%
    Age 36, 42.5%, make 176 out of 414, 10 years ago

Westbrook last 3 years 30%, 29%, 25%.
    Current Coach team can’t make him better.

If Westbrook shoot like Jason Kidd, he might win or had won 3 championships.

agree?

#1 BigBum, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Ottomaton likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

2 maybe. The Miami finals and the GSW conference finals years. But its a team game, teams win championships. Kidd was a role player by the time he developed that shot, which is impressive.

3. riko

riko Member

I love westi but a prime Kidd was a way better two way player

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the correct answer.

Kidd was a different kind of triple double threat. He was much more of a passer than scorer.
    Later in his career he improved his 3 point shot.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kidd works better with an elite big man.

WB can do damage in a small ball lineup.

Kidd was a nice player to have, but I wouldn't say he was a superstar.

6. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Westbrook and the UCLA bruins over Kidd and Cal Golden bears.

No problem with Golden bears since Tony Gonzalez was phenomenal Golden bear!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I assume that you are thinking about the years when he started to be a good 3pt shooter.

Kidd in his prime was considered one of the best PGs, definitely a superstar. The Nets turned from a bottom feeder into a team that went to the Finals after they got him. His only weakness was outside shooting. When he could no longer blow by defenders, he remade himself into a reliable 3pt shooter.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Kids got cheated out of a mvp. Definitely a superstar.

majicdonjuan and Tankeio like this.
  9. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Better passing and much better defender. WB doesn't make good decision, that's his problem or else he would be a TOP 10 player ever and one of the greatest PG ever...but his head game isn't the same as Kidd

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough..... rank Nash, Kidd and Westbrook in specific order, thanks.

Kidd was a better defender at times.

I know this is the era of stat stuffing but if your best scoring season is 18.7 ppg and the other seasons weren't close to 20 or even 19 ppg that is hard to argue.

At least Nash had 3-4 seasons of nearly 18-19 ppg.

That is why the pure PGs had it so hard, they needed 1 or 2 pure scorers to win on the highest level until they had guys like Harden and WB scoring themselves.

You have to expand the term superstar because more and more players could score, assist, dribble and drive, block and steal. The era of the allround scoring guards and point forwards.

You have to shoot and score nowadays.

#10 daywalker02, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    hakeem94 likes this.
  11. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

AFAIK, Westbrook has never beat up his wife. Kidd on the other hand :mad:

BamBam likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

John Stockton never scored more than 18 points a game in any season. But he had multiple seasons shooting 40+% from 3. Nash, as you pointed out, was also not a volume scorer, while being one of the best shooters of all time.

What these guys have in common is that they were some of the greatest passers in NBA history. They could have scored more if they looked to score more. But that's not their style.

Westbrook is a totally different type of player. He is more of a combo guard who looks to score first. If I had to choose among Kidd, Nash, and Westbrook and build a team around one of them, I would not pick Westbrook. I'd say Kidd and Nash are about equal overall. Kidd is stronger, better at rebounding and defense. Nash is quicker and a much better shooter who pretty much has no weakness on offense.

I am not a Kidd fan because of his dirty character. But I have to respect his game.

Lovemachine2000 and daywalker02 like this.
  13. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Kidd is a 5 times 1 st ALL NBA. WB = 2 times

14. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Most ALL NBA 1st Team in NBA History for PG:

1.) Magic = 8
    2.) Kidd = 5
    3.) CP3 = 4
    4.) 3 each for Curry, Nash, Iverson, Isiah Thomas(the Last Dance one in my PTOUSA in case you think I was serious)
    5.) WB = 2

15. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Modern Day history that is, Didn't count Cousy and Robertson with 10 and 9 since I never saw them play

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Kidd was the first HS phenom in the media to really live up to his potential. So respect. And made it to the finals. But Westbrook is a freak. There is no comparison. Westbrook averaged a triple double.

riko likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Young Jason Kidd was nicknamed Ason because he lacked a jumper. Westbrook can develop a shot if Trevor Ariza and Jason Kidd have...

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I summarized that everyone has to score these days to be viewed as a star.

The era of 'selfless' PGs has come to an end.

You have too many point Fs and SGs that can playmake in the modern days.
    And even playmaking Cs named Joker.

Positionless bball and everyone getting skilled, even an Antetokounmpo.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well my point is that it's much more likely for Nash and Kidd to score more if they wanted to, than Westbrook to be a smart playmaker if he wanted to.

I hope Westbrook can develop a reliable 3pt shot, but I am not holding my breath. There have been players that had significantly improved their outside shooting. Kidd was one. Lowry was another. But there are also those who never improved. Rubio is the notorious one but he has shown some signs of improvements in recent time. Westbrook unfortunately is getting worse, not better. In fact, his game improved a lot when he stopped shooting 3. What I worry is what he will become when he starts to lose his speed. Will he be something like Kidd or will he just falls off a cliff?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

FUN FACT. Kidd, Nash & the underrated Kevin Johnson were all on the SAME team.

hakeem94 likes this.