1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Call Saul S5 - 2/23

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The way the fate of Kim is used to create suspense (since we know the fate of the other characters) is very effective.

Also, I don't think they have shown Lalo commit an act of violence on camera (we only see the dead clerk after). But he is still menacing.

What was the point of the open phone line to Mike? I guess he was only going to shoot Lalo if things sounded like they were going bad?

Two Sandwiches, CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, if Mike had to shoot Lalo it would go against Gus' strategy and complicate things.

I'm thinking maybe Nacho doesn't die. Mike remains loyal to Gus throughout BB. Nacho dies, and it's because of Gus, you'd think Mike walks.

3. Commodore

In Breaking Bad, Saul says "It wasn't me it was Ignacio [Nacho]... Lalo didn't send you?" So if Lalo dies, Saul doesn't find out about it.

#43 Commodore, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Ziggy and Yung-T like this.
  4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

RHEA ****!NG SEEHORN!

I know everyone is excellent on the show. The acting is masterful on that show. Odenkirk has brought it every season. Jonathan Banks was the MVP (imo) a couple of seasons ago and deserved an Emmy and a Golden Globe. It is BULLSH!T that they both have been nominated the past four years only to leave with nothing. Absolutely ridiculous. They deserve their roses now.
    BUT
    This is Rhea's season. The writing has been great and paired with her acting it has just been
    [​IMG]

Every week she surpasses what I think was great. The intro to episode 9 on Monday and the final scene were just sublime. The directing for the intro also deserves credit because that was a prime example of less being more.
    In conclusion, Give Odenkirk or Banks their damn Emmy and Golden Globe AND give Rhea Seehorn her awards as well!

jo mama, Ziggy, marks0223 and 6 others like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I ****ing love Kim Wexler. If anything happens to her....I think it would be the saddest thing I've ever seen on TV

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This show has taken a sudden turn for amazing! Never seen a show go from so slow to so intense so quickly.

I liked it before, but now I'm sucked in line an industrial shop vac has my nuts. Amazing.

I think there's are so many little bits and pieces you could analyze to death, and if I had posted sooner, I'd do that. But....

I think Mike's open line to Saul, and willingness to do something as drastic as killing Lalo (if needed) says a lot about the tragedy of Saul's character.

At this point, Saul is a pawn. He's only interested in making money because he thinks that's what will give his life value. What he doesn't realize is that he is the ultimate pawn and, already, he's being tugged at between two factions of cartels, in their struggle for victory. Somehow he got sucked into this whole thing, and that scene shows he's already neck deep, even though he doesn't know it. He still doesn't know it after Lalos visit.

Interesting because it gives Mike's talk with Saul in the car that much more weight.

CCity Zero, Yung-T, ferrari77 and 2 others like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I hope everybody is enjoying the slow burn payoff like I am.

I think Tony Dalton (actor playing Lalo) is phenomenal. Kinda nuts that he hasn't been in anything mainstream US before... but its also a great find by Gilligan in that he's a dual-language speaking american born actor who's got total command of the role (sorta like Gus was when first introduced). Hopefully he lasts beyond this season.

At this point, I want more Lalo than Gus.... in fact Ginacarlo has become a little one-dimensional in the Gus portrayal vs. the multi-emotional portrayal he had during BB. Maybe its just the character's scenes.

More trivia: Actor playing Nacho is actually of Canadian descent with French being his primary language.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could not agree more with this post. Rhea Seehorn has been amazing. Her reaction when she answered the phone and saw it was Jimmy gave me chillbumps. And then watching her when she realized that Jimmy was back but he was still lying to her broke my heart for her. Every episode I watch gets harder and harder because she's so awesome and I know it won't last with her and Jimmy.

Agree that if they kill her off I'm gonna blubber like a baby. Probably will even if they don't kill her off but her and Saul finally split.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'll follow the chorus and say that Rhea Seehorn has been great but I have liked her character and performance since the beginning.

Now that her character is possibly in mortal danger, I really get how good a job she's done to make me care about the character since she's been built up since episode 1.

This season has been great, looking forward to the finale but i think we might lose some non BB characters....

10. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

100% agree about Lalo, what amazing acting. He really portrays the character well, and I couldn't see anyone else playing him. Ever since he's been introduced after Hector Salamanca's hospitalization, I kept watching in hopes of more Lalo. This episode was an absolute treat

Dont want to keep tooting the horn for Rhea, but yes, her character also continues to amaze

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The tone and suspense has definitely upped many levels since Chuck died. I much prefer the Breaking Bad arc even though I enjoyed seeing Jimmy McGill.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The great Michael Mando.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Acting and story arc aside, sicne we're on the topic, Seahorn looks to be in better SHAPE this season also. TONED up. And possibly did one of those ass implant things everybody is into these days. A+

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Before the finale, some interviewer should ask Rhea the question ... “How hot are you?”

TMac'n likes this.
  15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Dem Wexler t*tties...didn't know she had them

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i was reading an online review and it was talking about how lalo was just as scary, but more "controlled" than his often unhinged brother? im wondering if that was a typo and should have read cousin or are him and tuco hermanos?

also, kim has some brass balls.

17. Commodore

wait for it

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Was this the Season Finale?

Rocket River

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Unfortunately, yes.

This show is riveting all of a sudden. Gonna be a long wait.

Is next year the final season?

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea that hurts. Probably not until Next March

Not the strongest cliff hanger

Rocket River