1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you experienced these painful bites?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by deb4rockets, Apr 13, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.ignboards.com/threads/t...n-the-world-have-you-been-a-victim.454561116/

I've only experienced #10, and it was excruciating pain. I stepped on a stingray in shallow water walking back in to shore one afternoon in Port Aransas after surfing by the pier. At first I thought I got jabbed by a crab, until stepping out of the water as the pain intensified, and I saw the blood coming from a small hole near my ankle. I knew immediately then that I got jabbed by a stingray. I dropped my surfboard on the shore and hobbled to my beach chair and lyed there moaning as the pain intensified.

The key to neutralizing the poison is to get your foot in hot water. I knew that, but also knew I couldn't possibly walk to the pier, so asked a lady to call an ambulance. They took my pulse, which had shot up, but couldn't transport me. They offered to drive my car to the fire station a couple blocks away, but I thought I could manage that and follow them, since it was my left foot.. Stupid me almost passed out getting there. I'm sure I was in shock.

Once I got my foot in a big bowl of hot water and iodine I felt instant relief. It was almost orgasmic. It took about 45 min of continuously adding hot water to the bowl for the pain to settle the throbbing enough for me to be able to drive back to Corpus.

The medics said they treat around 300 people a year there for stingray jabs, and the men are the biggest babies...lol. The woman told me she's seen grown men rolling on the floor crying in pain. Afternoon is a big time for stingrays to come into shallow water for the warmth of the sun. You'd think if that area was such a hot spot for stingrays that they would have warning signs. Heck, I spent years surfing off 61st street in my youth and hanging at West Beach and never saw anyone get jabbed by a stingray.

The key for a stingray jab is to get to somewhere and soak it in hot water as fast as you can, or the pain will just get worse and worse. I can't even imagine more pain than I felt for about 30 minutes before I got to the fire station. The next day I got an x-ray to ensure no barb broke off inside and got a tetanus shot. I was lucky there wasn't a barb, or further damage. Those barb's can cause all kinds of horrific infections.

Anyway, that's my story, what's yours? Have you experienced any of those top 10 bites?

FranchiseBlade, malakas and Yung-T like this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

10. Stingray
    9. Black widow
    8. Gila monster
    7. Tarantula hawk
    6. Rattlesnake
    5. Arizona bark scorpion
    4. Platypus
    3. Stonefish
    2. Bullet ant
    1. Box jellyfish

tmoney1101, BigShasta and Yung-T like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Probably not a box jellyfish but a jellyfish off the coast of Maui and that **** felt like 5 bee stings all at once on my back. Had a friend pee in a cup so I could douse it. I couldnt really tell if it helped or not.

malakas, Yung-T and deb4rockets like this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I used vinegar for jellyfish stings on my leg in Costa Rica, but it still stung awhile. Apparently dousing it with saltwater helps, according to this article.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-urinating/

donkeypunch likes this.
  5. likestohypeguy

Worst I've ever had was typical bees, wasps, jellyfish at the beach. nothing debilitating I can recall off hand.

Think I'm going to choose my own adventure with the rest of this one.

B-Bob and deb4rockets like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've been lucky. Never had a very severe bite or sting. I did see a couple Black Widows near my house shortly after moving in and considered just burning the whole neighborhood down, but cooler heads prevailed.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

This seems like a Brave Wilderness painful sting/bites compilation thread.

And parasite removal of a hornet.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Worst for me were hornet stings, bulldog ants, and biting myself on the tongue while asleep. Two of those could've been entirely avoided

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I experienced the bite of a Burmese python on my hand. There wasn’t much of a pain factor. It was more of a shock factor as I wasn’t expecting it. The bite drew blood leaving a bunch of little hole marks in the shape of the upper and lower jaw. The reason for the bite was I had mistakenly handled its food and then attempted to handle the snake. That flickering tongue picked up the scent on my hand and the snake struck. It didn’t matter that the snake didn’t see a mouse.My hand was food. Lesson learned.

I also encountered the meanest snake you could imagine that would constantly strike at air, at glass, at you, and even at other snakes. It was an untamed 5 foot reticulated python. Fortunately, it never got hold of me with its bite but it got close. Even a very experienced snake handler friend of mine back in the day labeled it the “meanest snake he ever saw”. This snake would give you nightmares it was so mean. You had to wear gloves to handle this bad boy and it was such a scary experience trying to hold it that I quickly gave up on the idea of trying to tame it. It would wrap and squeeze so tight that your hand would hurt even with gloves on. Snake whisperer I am not.

#9 Surfguy, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    malakas, Yung-T and deb4rockets like this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I am absolutely terrified of snakes. Sad too, because I love the outdoors. Anytime I see one, even from a distance, I panic inside and have nightmares.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

There are not very many sting ray super heroes, which is very suspicious.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

kings-of-pain-s1-mobile-3000x3000.jpg I think I might check this series out on the History Channel this week.

"Kings of Pain” follows wildlife biologist Adam Thorn and professional animal handler Rob “Caveman” Alleva as they get bitten and stung by some of the most dangerous animals and vicious stinging insects in the world – from a reticulated python to a rove beetle – to create a complete and comprehensive pain index that will ultimately help save lives.

13. Surfguy

My Mom is also terrified of snakes and she had to live in the same house with my python. And, the python used to escape a lot and I would have to search the whole house for it. Some times it took hours to find as it would end up in the strangest places. I have distinct memories of my Mom freaking out because she would encounter the python crawling down the hallway. My Mom used to weave rugs so she had boxes of yarn everywhere. I once found it at the bottom of a box of yarn. I would also find it on the highest shelf in a closet with no obvious way to get up there. But, yea, my Mom would freak and have to leave the house for periods. lol

malakas and deb4rockets like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

When I was stationed at the Naval Training base in Beeville, TX as an Air Traffic Controller the guys who did the runway and gear checks early in the morning said they would sometimes see big rattlesnakes cooling on the asphalt.

Our crew would get in a van to drive out to the control tower each day. One morning I shook a rattle behind the seat of one of the guys as we headed across the parking ramp to the tower. He opened the door and jumped out for his life...lol. Cruel, but funny at the time.

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just watched episode 8 of Kings of Pain on the History channel. The guys each let a 16 foot reticulating python in Indonesia latch on to their arms for their pain scale ratings. It was gruesome!

16. SemisolidSnake

Definitely not a chemist or anyone that's ever actually sustained an HF burn. Probably a Breaking Bad fan. Not to diminish their pain which I have no doubt of, but I think they'd prefer getting stung by a dozen tarantula hawks as opposed to getting an HF burn.

Interestingly, reports say that HF burns don't actually hurt that much. That's because HF is not legendary for its corrosive properties (except that it can eat glass). It's legendary as a contact poison. The F- gets into your blood, binds with calcium and magnesium, and thus shuts down the ion channels in your nervous system. That's why you don't feel much pain from an HF burn. Of course, this also kills you as you need your nerves to keep your heart and other organs going. And it destroys your bones, of course, but you're probably dead from the first thing before that matters.

Nasty stuff that's always on any list of top chemicals chemists don't want to work with along with organometallic compounds and crazy oxidizers like ClF3.

malakas and deb4rockets like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Top Chemist: Hey, take up that crazy dangerous organometallic compound assignment
    Chemist: Uhh, why don't you do it?
    Top Chemist: Cuz, I said so!

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Big difference between a bite with venom and a traditional sting (ant/ wasp).

Centipedes have to be the most disgusting and painful insect/ creature you can receive a bite from and survive.

Nook likes this.
  19. Surfguy

Have they tried the pain from an asp moth caterpillar with the venomous spines? I know we used to encounter these furry looking mofos here in Texas climbing trees as kids. Inevitably, you stick your hand right on one. I don’t think I ever did but my friends did and I think it hurt like hell.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No they didn't. Here's the list.
    I didn't read it all, because I haven't finished all the episodes yet. They rate a combined score for 3 categories which are initial pain, duration, and permanent damage.